PDA

View Full Version : New RPG Idea: Toon-A-Palooza!

Otogi
2010-09-18, 04:14 PM
So I was thinking about cartoons a couple of days ago and I thought about how a lot of western animation can fit into two groups: Comedy and Action. Now, there are already two RPGs that handle them both pretty well (Toon and Cartoon Action Hour), but I've never seen a lot of overlap between the two. So I wanted to make an RPG (or use an existing one) to try and make a system that uses both.

One game in particular I was eying was Hi/Lo Heroes (http://www.scribd.com/doc/15905669/HiLo-Heroes). I like the idea of this system, but I was also thinking about a sort of talent tree type divided by "Action Toons" and "Silly Toons" (with some kind of way to be an inbetween). From my experience, though, it's best to get a little insight from people who have dealt with this stuff, so what do you guys think?

Morph Bark
2010-09-18, 04:31 PM
What, no talent tree for things that are both Action and Silly? I mean, sure, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is Japanese, but there's undoubtedly American cartoons that mix the two concepts up real strong, too.

...I just don't know any myself off the top of my head. :smallfrown:

Otogi
2010-09-18, 04:40 PM
What, no talent tree for things that are both Action and Silly? I mean, sure, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is Japanese, but there's undoubtedly American cartoons that mix the two concepts up real strong, too.

...I just don't know any myself off the top of my head. :smallfrown:

Oh, there are tons! Adventure Time and Dave the Barbarian, just off the top of my head, too (as well as Totally Spies, Codename: Kids Next Door, Ghostbusters and Lunatics Unleashed from TvTropes). I'm actually wondering if I should make an intermediate class or have some sort of "Action-Silly" scale. What do you think?

EDIT: *facepalm* OR, duh, a general tree!

Maxios
2010-09-18, 04:51 PM
Alright, first thing you need to think of when writing an RPG is this: What are the stats, skills, races, etc. Is there an easy rules-lite system like Toon? Is there leveling up? Etc..

To think up ideas for Silly Toons, watch Looney Tunes.

To think up ideas for Action Toons, watch shows like The Batman, Dragonball Z, and Kids Next Door.