PDA

View Full Version : PDF downloads. Are they safe?

Krüsher
2010-09-18, 04:25 PM
{Scrubbed}

Jjeinn-tae
2010-09-18, 04:30 PM
I doubt it's legal, so it probably can't be discussed on the forums.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-18, 04:31 PM
{Scrubbed}

It looks like a file sharing site. I think it is more a question of legality than viruses, but it could be a safe site (what do you know about them?).

lsfreak
2010-09-18, 04:33 PM
As said, it's a legality issue, much more than a virus issue. I'd remove the link (OP and in the quote), since it's against the forum rules to discuss/link to them.

Knaight
2010-09-18, 04:34 PM
As a rule .pdf files are very safe, however this particular one is illegal if D&D. That said, quite a few systems have free .pdf files with partial rules. GURPS, Savage Worlds, etc. fit into that category. Then there are entirely free games, such as Witchcraft, Fudge, Ars Magica 4e, Risus, and Wushu, as well as many others. Avoiding .pdf makes it much harder to get into a large variety of RPGs.

In general, .pdf is useful, but I wouldn't use that site, as it violates copyright.

Krüsher
2010-09-18, 04:34 PM
It looks like a file sharing site. I think it is more a question of legality than viruses, but it could be a safe site (what do you know about them?).

nothing... YAAY! IGNORANCE!

Reluctance
2010-09-18, 05:08 PM
What Knaight said. PDF files in general are pretty safe. Sites that host illegal files often have plenty of other ways to install malware on your computer, though, so a good scan is still in order. And ever since WotC pulled their own PDF materials, the only legit D&D PDFs come from their own website and the only legal way to get 3.5 materials is through secondhand bookstores or sites that fill a similar function.

averagejoe
2010-09-18, 05:19 PM
The Mod They Call Me: The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss illegal topics. Thread locked.