PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Please help me convert the 40K Harlequins for my D&D cosmology.

Pika...
2010-09-18, 05:53 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8654/cegorachjokercopydone.jpg

Thanks folks for initially helping me out with their initial build concept. I plan to at least for the basic Troops and possibly the Great Avatar use the Drow feat to use a sword (Rapier it seems...) in one hand a hand crossbow in the other (anyone remember the book where there is one with multiple shots like in a cartridge?).

May I ask a few more questions?

a) For those of you familiar with he Harlequins from 40K, would you say a "standard" NPC Harlequin in D&D with that feat being 1 Rogue/1 Fighter/1 Adept, with the Great Avatar being much higher and the group's only Cleric (instead of Adept) as well?

b) What would you make the standard Death Jester as?

c) The Solitaire?

d) And the Mimes?

I am thinking of reworking their fluff in my cosmology a bit, in that Erevan (being CN) is a god distant from both the Seldarine (the Elf pantheon) and the Dark Seldarine (the Drow pantheon) even though he technically resides Aborea with the other Seldarine. Fluff wise, like Cegorach in 40K his "ironic and humorous nature" not only originally kept him on good terms with the Seelie Court (the Fey pantheon) who in my cosmology is where all Elf god were originally members of, but when the Elves and Drow started splitting (aka akin to the Eldar and Dark Eldar) his followers remained distant from all that. Even today, his "Troupes" are not only the only Elves still welcomed in the Plane of Faerie, but due to that are able to use the Fey gates to travel anywhere and everywhere.

The purposes of their travels are usually very cryptic and mysterious, but they almost always make local stops to make their legendary performances in both Elf (of any creed: Drow, High Sylvan, whatever) and alien lands. Their performances deal with Elf mythology, history(s), and accomplishments which they feel all can races and intelligent creatures can learn from. To many's surprise, even races as savage as bogbears and races as evil as Illithids welcome them into their realms without intent of betrayal (partly due for the Harlequins' legendary combat skills, but also largely due from respect).

However, their most cherished performance and lesson for their audience is the story of the rift between the Seldarine. A lesson only performed when their Solitaire is present, for not even the Great Avatar is believed to be able to predict the thoughts of his Solitaire.

All Harlequins are individuals chosen, by methods unknown to anyone besides the Harlequins and their god, from the various sects of the Elf Race. Once chosen these Harlequins perform a secret rritual which links them to their god, forever able to hear their god's mad yet inspiring laughter. They discard any loyalties they once held to their former communities, and put any hatred or cultural issues against other Elves their communities/subraces may have had for the better of the Elf race as a whole.

Note:
In addition, there are Elves who have seen the great performances of their "elevated" kin and have become so inspired or consumed with admiration and/or a desire to join them that they, like many small children dream of, have literally run away with the circus. Few of these individuals are ever welcomed into the inner circle of the Harlequins, and usually end up forming an "Outer Ring" around Harlequin camp sites with fellow like-minded Elves of any creed which have also joined. However, this cast separation seems at least somewhat metaphorical, as it is clear they due aid in the set up of their performances and seem appreciated by their Harlequin "Lords".

So while not trained in the skills of their Lords, the various Elves (including Drow) take similar oaths to put aside their cultural bickering for the better of their race, and attempt to train themselves by mimicking .their Harlequin Lords. So at the sides of an attacking Harlequin Troupe in all it's beautiful glory you will often see a rag-tag team of various Elves, of all subraces and classes, barely keeping pace with their more agile cousins into battle (something impressive in itself, which proves their devotion in training themselves).