PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Xanmyral
2010-09-18, 09:38 PM
As the title suggests, I need some help. I'm trying to decide on some good feats for a low level caster, say level three. I've thought that combat casting and extend spell would be good ones. My current resources on books is sadly only phb, and phb two. Also, if I multi-class, and take a wizard level at level five, but my current wizard level isn't five, do I still get the bonus feat? Or do I need straight up five wizard levels? Oh, and this is 3.5. Just in case if that needs to be clarified.

Boci
2010-09-18, 09:42 PM
As the title suggests, I need some help. I'm trying to decide on some good feats for a low level caster, say level three. I've thought that combat casting and extend spell would be good ones. My current resources on books is sadly only phb, and phb two.

Extend spell is good, but combat casting is generally considered to be unneccissary. Empower is useful if you use damaging spells.

Also, if I multi-class, and take a wizard level at level five, but my current wizard level isn't five, do I still get the bonus feat? Or do I need straight up five wizard levels? Oh, and this is 3.5. Just in case if that needs to be clarified.

bloodtide
2010-09-19, 02:33 AM
It depends.

If your going to be shooting spells into melee a lot(or even just using a missile weapon) then Point Blank Shot and Precise shot are good.

The boost from Spell Focus is always good, anything to make your spells more powerful.

Metamagic-you don't have many spell slots to work with. You could pick a single spell to boost or boost cantrips. You could get more hours out of Mage Armor with Extend Spell, for example.

Item Creation-If you can take them and use them they can be great, you can make potions and minor magic items(and scrolls) easy enough.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-19, 04:38 AM
Combat Casting is useless. It's a single +4 boost to one skill in a situation no spellcaster should ever find himself in regularly enough to waste a feat on it. (Protip: Skill Focus is a +3 bonus that applies at all times. If you really must, and it's not for a PrC, take that instead.)

Extend Spell is good. Empower Spell is... better than Combat Casting, but as a Wizard you don't want to be throwing too many direct damage spells around.

You only get the bonus feats every fifth Wizard level.

Also, a tip on multiclassing: don't. A Wizard is defined by his caster level and spells - multiclassing robs him of his highest-level spells and means he can't keep up.

The boost from Spell Focus is always good, anything to make your spells more powerful.

This is not true. Unless you're shooting for a PrC or Augment Summoning, Spell Focus is a waste of a feat for a paltry +1 to save DCs. Your save DCs will be high enough anyway.