PDA

View Full Version : You see a secluded thread sitting off in the woods. Ultima 4 thread (LP possible?).

deuxhero
2010-09-18, 10:44 PM
Consider this! A Playgrounder asks for help comprehending Ultima 4, unable to figure out what to do despite reading many a guide.

Dost thou

A:Help him on his path in hopes he will attempt a Let's Play
b: Sit and wait for someone else to do it.

>_>

I've decided to try and give Ultima 4 another try after abandoning it because I found it insanely confusing, even after trying a number of guides. All I could really tell from them was "play a Bard" and how to obtain and hold the virtues and that was it. I had no idea what I was meant to do after the character generation.

Here's the deal. The playground helps me figure out how to play the game, and I'll try to Let's Play (screenshots) it to the best of my ability.

I just tried to answer the questions honestly, I got a mage.

Before you ask, I am running the XU4 source port.

(Note:Is late at time of posting, will be sleeping soon)

Comet
2010-09-19, 04:31 AM
Real men make their character a shepherd. Note, however, that real men also seem to be masochists, because the shepherd is the worst starting class available. It's painful. Other than that, I don't have much preference for starting class.

Oh, there is one thing relating to classes that everyone should know. Iolo, Shamino and Dupre, your most trusted companions in the later games, are a bard, a ranger and a paladin, respectively. So if you want to have them in your party you should not have a character of any of those classes since they won't join you if you're the same class as them. There are other potential party members as well and all of them, except for the shepherd, play an important role in the later games. So the "canon" Avatar would be a shepherd, but that's just no fun if you're playing through for the first time. A fighter or a mage would be good enough choices for a class, I suppose.

It's been ages since I've played Ultima, but the game is simple enough. One important thing is to keep a journal. Y'know, a real, physical notebook, since the game doesn't keep track of anything for you. Some sort of walkthrough couldn't hurt, either, especially if you're in a hurry. Just try not to look at the walkthrough the entire time, just when you're absolutely stumped.

Yeah, I'd be willing to help sort this game out if there is any interest for your LP. I could very well be as lost as you, but it'll be fun anyway.

deuxhero
2010-09-19, 08:19 AM
It's more that I start outside a town (seems to be part of my starting class) and have no idea what to do.

Deme
2010-09-19, 09:06 AM
I'd be interested in an LP... but am no help at all, having never played this game.

joeaverage
2010-09-19, 10:56 AM
If you check out

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Ultima 4-6/index.html

he does a pretty good job of explaining the game and what to do.

deuxhero
2010-09-19, 02:17 PM
OK, enter town, ask about rune shrine and mantra, do such with the virtue at some level. Seems like understandable directions for the time being.

Let's try this

For the intro, being as long as it would be clumsy to type or sshot, so just start the game in flash.
here (http://www.phipsisoftware.com/ultima4/Ultima4.html).

The gypsy is going to ask some questions

Now, should I
A:Answer these questions as I would honestly?
b:Have the thread pick the answers?