PDA

View Full Version : My School Project

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-19, 05:05 AM
I have a project in my woodshop class that requires me to get some outside info from the job. I need you guys to review my project:
Im making a multifuntional Storage box.

In its basic position its simply a box, But it can be unfolded to be a bookshelf and/or a mini rack. Then the shelfs can be removed to turn it into a Dm screen. It will also have a box pattern on the outer side so if you place the Dm screen face down it turns into a improvised Game map.

So what do you think?

thubby
2010-09-19, 05:11 AM
seems a bit too ambitious if that makes any sense.
i don't know how good you are with wood, but IME, making complex things out of the stuff usually doesn't go well.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-09-19, 07:08 AM
Sounds like it'd be awesome if you made it.

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-19, 08:35 AM
It sounds like it's going to be extremely heavy. Also yes, if you're not a master carpenter you're probably going to have a hard time with seeing it through to your expectations. Not necessarily because it's very complex (I'd say moderate), but because it's going to require precision crafting or it won't fit together right. But mainly, it's either going to be really small, really flimsy, or extremely heavy.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-19, 04:51 PM
I'd need to see some blue prints or a sketch to fully understand your design idea.

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-20, 10:02 AM
It sounds like it's going to be extremely heavy. Also yes, if you're not a master carpenter you're probably going to have a hard time with seeing it through to your expectations. Not necessarily because it's very complex (I'd say moderate), but because it's going to require precision crafting or it won't fit together right. But mainly, it's either going to be really small, really flimsy, or extremely heavy.

Well I do not think so.

Image it this way: Take 4 boards of wood attach them together with 3 door hinges (Or however they are called). Make it so when you fold it together it makes a box without a bottom or a lid. Then add a simple slide lock ( I have one already made, its simple in design but difficult to explain). So that when you fold them into a box it can keep its shape. Then it should look something like this:
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/MasterOfThePlanes/StuffyStuff.png

Then just trace the lines on the outer side and trace the sides on the inner

Mathis
2010-09-20, 10:22 AM
Great idea man! I can definately see this working. But can you explain how you want to turn that design into a bookshelf aswell?

The bottom and top of the box itself and the mechanism of just sliding them into the box should be easy to create and I know an easy way to make that work if you want ideas, but it seems you got that down already. But do you mind explaining how you plan on making it work anyway?

Also, since you're going to have a removable top and bottom, why not add some rules or maps on those instead of letting the space go to waste? Why not paint boxed shapes on them too so you can use those as battlemaps aswell? One with hexagons and another with boxes would come in handy. If you want me to I'll go draw the blueprints I have for the mechanism of sliding the top and bottom in?

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-20, 11:48 AM
Great idea man! I can definately see this working. But can you explain how you want to turn that design into a bookshelf aswell?

The bottom and top of the box itself and the mechanism of just sliding them into the box should be easy to create and I know an easy way to make that work if you want ideas, but it seems you got that down already. But do you mind explaining how you plan on making it work anyway?

Also, since you're going to have a removable top and bottom, why not add some rules or maps on those instead of letting the space go to waste? Why not paint boxed shapes on them too so you can use those as battlemaps aswell? One with hexagons and another with boxes would come in handy. If you want me to I'll go draw the blueprints I have for the mechanism of sliding the top and bottom in?

Dude. Genuis.
And Naw thanks man. Thats realy nice of you but I gotta do it on my own. Il send You the finished result pics.

Here is the idea:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/MasterOfThePlanes/SecondMegaThegaThingamagoba.png

Winter_Wolf
2010-09-21, 04:53 PM
Ohhh, it all makes sense now! I'm a very visual kind of person, and your image hath shown me the light. Looks cool. Still not sure about the sturdiness vs. the weight factor though. Then again, the only kinds of affordable wood I have access to are either flimsy crap or heavy crap. I suppose if you could get your hands on a nice hardwood of some type and money isn't an issue.

Show pics when finished, please!

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-23, 04:40 AM
Ohhh, it all makes sense now! I'm a very visual kind of person, and your image hath shown me the light. Looks cool. Still not sure about the sturdiness vs. the weight factor though. Then again, the only kinds of affordable wood I have access to are either flimsy crap or heavy crap. I suppose if you could get your hands on a nice hardwood of some type and money isn't an issue.

Show pics when finished, please!

We have plastic

Christopher K.
2010-09-23, 12:57 PM
It sounds like an ambitious project, but a lot easier than some projects I've discussed with friends and teachres. *COUGH* MYOWN *COUGH*

How thick is the plastic you're going to be using for this?

SpekterofDavid
2010-09-24, 01:02 PM
It sounds like an ambitious project, but a lot easier than some projects I've discussed with friends and teachres. *COUGH* MYOWN *COUGH*

How thick is the plastic you're going to be using for this?

Something like 8 mm thick

But here is the real kicker

I need you to tell me what you would like to include into a dm screen such as this one
Some of my ideas are:

Magnetic strips at the from of it allowing me to change the images/ rules for the players

Removable Dice roller

Removable shelfs

Removable Wheel of Torture/fortune (Piss/ Please the Dm, spin the wheel)

So any ideas count.

Ps Its ok Iv also done some overtly complicated stuff (And finished) like a rubber band belt raising mini barrels using a clock motor that is used to show the time.