PDA

View Full Version : A fun Prc? (3.5)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-09-19, 05:06 AM
I find myself bored and I wish to remedy this quickly because when I become bored things seem to suddenly set themselves on fire, (I have no idea how that one happens...), and one of the best remedies I have found is DnD Character Creation.

Now most times I have an idea of what I want to do in mind, but not this time. So I am asking here, what are some fun/good Prcs to look at in terms of playability/cheese? Prc combos perhaps? In any case, all suggestions are appreciated.

I do have two notes though:

I don't just want to hear about things for a druid/cleric/wizard.
Most everybody here has heard of Pun-Pun so please refrain from saying the obvious.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-19, 05:25 AM
I hear drunken master is entertaining, if not particularly powerful. If you have a monk fetish like I do, Sacred Fist can make a workable melee monk out of a paladin or ranger. However this won't result in a particularly powerful character either.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-19, 05:34 AM
Bear Warrior and Warshaper (especially together on a Changeling) are high up on my list.

Thrallherd looks like an amazing PrC to play as a Psion.

Loredelver looks cool to me too. I love classes based on amassing large amounts of knowledge.

Sand Shaper as a Sorcerer would be fun. I'd be a good set up for a Gaara type character.

Chameleon also looks really fun. Going into it as a Changeling Rogue 1/Factotum X would be perfect.

~

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107618

Anything in the +2 or +1 list could probably qualify.

Roc Ness
2010-09-19, 05:47 AM
Now most times I have an idea of what I want to do in mind, but not this time. So I am asking here, what are some fun/good Prcs to look at in terms of playability/cheese? Prc combos perhaps? In any case, all suggestions are appreciated.

My advice? Look in the homebrew section of these forums. They are littered with new spins/takes/original ideas, all of them fun and many of them balanced. Two off the top of my head are the Blade Maiden (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409) by Krimm Blackleaf and the Assassin Redux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885801&postcount=23) by PId6

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-09-19, 05:58 AM
My advice? Look in the homebrew section of these forums. They are littered with new spins/takes/original ideas, all of them fun and many of them balanced. Two off the top of my head are the Blade Maiden (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409) by Krimm Blackleaf and the Assassin Redux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885801&postcount=23) by PId6

Normaly I would look there, but the group I play with has it in their heads that all homebrews are evil things and need to be avoided at all costs...:smallsigh:, and I do like to have the characters I make ok with the DM so as to produce a character if needed.

Radar
2010-09-19, 06:10 AM
I hear drunken master is entertaining, if not particularly powerful. If you have a monk fetish like I do, Sacred Fist can make a workable melee monk out of a paladin or ranger. However this won't result in a particularly powerful character either.
Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838&highlight=Fistbeard) might have a word with you. :smalltongue:

Apart from that: Horizon Walker is an interesting martial PrC, that gives nice options and increases versatility of otherwise nonmagical character. Mage of Arcane Order might be a good choice for roleplaying purpose and is reasonably powerful. Playing a Factotum going into Chameleon class might be a good idea, if you are unsure, what to play, since you can be moderatly good at anything you want (not at the same time obviously).

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-09-19, 06:16 AM
Playing a Factotum going into Chameleon class might be a good idea, if you are unsure, what to play, since you can be moderatly good at anything you want (not at the same time obviously).

The funny thing is I already have one of these. :smalltongue:

Snake-Aes
2010-09-19, 06:25 AM
I find myself bored and I wish to remedy this quickly because when I become bored things seem to suddenly set themselves on fire, (I have no idea how that one happens...), and one of the best remedies I have found is DnD Character Creation.

I do have two notes though:

I don't just want to hear about things for a druid/cleric/wizard.
Most everybody here has heard of Pun-Pun so please refrain from saying the obvious.

A hexblade gestalt with something+SuelArcanamach+AbjurantChampion? Illumians are very nice for that.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-19, 06:58 AM
Totem Rager, Ironsoul Forgemaster, and Sapphire Hierarch.

Oh, and Jade Phoenix Mage, for the explosion.

Leon
2010-09-19, 07:40 AM
Im partial to Monk/Druid/Sacred Fist with maybe Fist of the Forest in there as well.

Rauthiss
2010-09-19, 07:45 AM
Suboptimal as it is, I've always enjoyed a good spellthief daggerspell mage. The Prereqs aren't too hard to meet, and you don't lose much. Master Spellthief is a must, though.

Lateral
2010-09-19, 08:06 AM
My personal favorites are the pyrokineticist and the horizon walker. That said, I only have the SRD for reference, so there are millions of other choices I don't know about.

Soranar
2010-09-19, 09:08 AM
a wildshape ranger (UA variant) that goes into master of many forms is all kinds of fun (for extra weirdness take the abyssal inheritor feats while you're at it)

best races for that is probably a mongrelfolk for the extra CON (you can also add the dragonborn of bahamut template on top of it to get extra CON and immunities)

nargbop
2010-09-19, 10:06 AM
Arcane Heirophant, weasel your way into having the strongest spellcasting two-headed dragon familiar possible. Don't forget the feat that improves your Animal Companion stats by four druid levels.

Thurbane
2010-09-19, 09:31 PM
Binder/KotSS/Scion of Dantalion combo?

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 09:41 PM
How about a Sentinel of Bharrai.
You transforms into a bear and summons bears that shoot lightning out of his eyes. Okay, it is only 1/day at 3rd level (quickened call lightning) and 10th level Quickened Lightning Storm 1/day.

It is like Prc Druid without the animal champion. Plus, Bears man bears!

Dr.Epic
2010-09-19, 09:44 PM
A fun PrC? I can think of no other than Stormlord. You get to fly and get zapped with lightning!:smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-09-19, 10:46 PM
Zhentarim Skymage, get a mount based on your intimidate skill. Might not be able to buff intimidate as highly as diplomancy, but I'm sure you could get an ancient red dragon by level 14.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-19, 10:50 PM
Some combinations which I enjoy:

1) The Ultimate Buff/Heal Bot. Cloistered Cleric/RSoP5/other PrC's
The trick is applying DMM Chain Spell to a load of buffs to make the party completely insanely invincible. Use Reach Spell to qualify for Chain, if necessary. Pick up the variant in PhBII to spontaneously cast from a domain rather than the Cure spells. Select the Healing domain. Free Empower on all heal spells, including the Heal spell.

2) The Ultimate Support caster. Wizard/Rainbow Servant/War Weaver5/Legacy Champion
With Alternate Spell Source, you have insane buffing options. For the whole party. Legacy Champion to further increase spell level you can drop into War Weaver.

3) Changeling Warlock/Chameleon2
He is his own Magic-Mart, able to make nearly anything you want him to, due to the floating feat. Which is another Invocation when it isn't a crafting feat. You can go Hellfire Glaivelock from there, if you wish.

4) Bruce Banner. Strongheart Halfling Monk2 (Overwhelming assault style)/Stoneblessed3/Barbarian1 (mountainous rage and pounce variants)/Crusader1/Warhulk10/Hulking Hurler3
You're a Halfling. With a strength of 6. Don't make him mad, you won't like him when he's mad. Strength ends up something like a 46 by the time he's done. He also heals damage every time he hits something, ignores the first 10 damage per level, ignores DR and hardness, does pretty ridiculous damage when he hits, and can hit every opponent within 30' of him as an attack action. Grab a Spiked Chain of Skillful to give you a flat 3/4 BAB. Hulk Smash.

5) Takahashi no Onisan. Rogue1/CW Samurai 10/Exemplar1/Ronin
With Imperious Command, you auto-win any encounter vs anything vulnerable to intimidate. Move action to make all opponents within 30' Cowering, with obscene DC's. And you can take 10 on your check to make the DC, thanks to Exemplar. Qualify with Rogue + Able Learner.

6) Rainbow Warserpent. Come on, you know this one already

herrhauptmann
2010-09-19, 10:58 PM
Shneeky, how does a halfling qualify warhulk? I'm assuming that stoneblessed:Goliath is part of it, but I don't see anything about it changing your creature size 2 categories.

Thurbane
2010-09-19, 10:59 PM
Shneekey, could you post a direct link to your (in)famous Samurai build? I've looked in the link in your sig, with no success...

Greenish
2010-09-19, 11:01 PM
Shneeky, how does a halfling qualify warhulk? I'm assuming that stoneblessed:Goliath is part of it, but I don't see anything about it changing your creature size 2 categories.I think Mountain Rage might make you Large.

[Edit]: This (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726) is the scary samurai.

Emy
2010-09-19, 11:16 PM
Zhentarim Skymage, get a mount based on your intimidate skill. Might not be able to buff intimidate as highly as diplomancy, but I'm sure you could get an ancient red dragon by level 14.

It's based on your Charisma and Zhentarim Skymage level, not your intimidate skill.

Yes, you can get some really obscene mounts with it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-19, 11:19 PM
Shneeky, how does a halfling qualify warhulk? I'm assuming that stoneblessed:Goliath is part of it, but I don't see anything about it changing your creature size 2 categories.

Mountanous Rage is a Goliath ACF which flat declares you to be of Large size while raging. Not 'size increase', just flat declared large size.

When not raging, he is a halfling with a str of 6, because he no longer qualifies for Warhulk. But piss him off...

Thanks Greenish, that's the level 13 version of Takahashi which I rebuilt. The linked sparring match in my sig is with straight CW 13, to prove a point that even CW Samurai can be dangerous if properly built.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-19, 11:19 PM
Halfling barbarian that goes Bear Warrior. A small halfling that turns into a large dire bear!:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-09-19, 11:23 PM
Halfling barbarian that goes Bear Warrior. A small halfling that turns into a large dire bear!:smallbiggrin:Or just brown one. It's still Large, but only takes 5 levels instead of 10. Combine with Fist of the Forest and Stoneblessed/Deepwarden.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-19, 11:27 PM
Or just brown one. It's still Large, but only takes 5 levels instead of 10. Combine with Fist of the Forest and Stoneblessed/Deepwarden.

Either way, it's still pretty un-BEAR-able.

Derjuin
2010-09-19, 11:38 PM
Bloodstorm Blade with Hulking Hurler. If you can get your size and strength up enough, you can bounce various animals - bears and tigers come to mind - off your opponents. :smalltongue:

That is, unless I'm interpreting the Bloodstorm Blade's abilities incorrectly. They all say "Weapon" but Hulking Hurler lets you throw anything that's considered a Light Load or less...

Greenish
2010-09-19, 11:42 PM
Even without Hulking Hurler, Bloodstorm Blade is pretty cool.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-20, 12:29 AM
It's based on your Charisma and Zhentarim Skymage level, not your intimidate skill.

Yes, you can get some really obscene mounts with it.

Coulda sworn that intimidate played into it. An entry in the PrC mentioned something about mounts turning on injured riders. Figured that a mage with 1 hitpoint left took a -2 or something to intimidate, and suddenly the mount was willing to eat its master.

Shneeky, ahh, you're delving into a particular region where I as a DM would say 'no.' To me, it looks the same as using items or spells to qualify for a PrC. Like using glvoes of the balanced hand to qualify for improved TWF and get into dervish.
Still I enjoy the whole idea of a halfing fighting like a midget monk, then turning into a 10 ft behemoth and throwing houses at people. (Please tell me was wearing purple pants)

btw: I found something for the warhulking hurler. Belt of the wide earth (MIC) flat out doubles your carrying capacity...

Dralnu
2010-09-20, 12:52 AM
I always loved the fluff of the Divine Prankster and made a great NPC with it once.

I'm a big fan of gishes. Swiftblade was tons of fun and great fluff. I have yet to try Suel Arcanamach and Abjurant Champion but they look great too. I'm most interested in Daggerspell Mage, but I don't know how to make it work well yet, or why I'd choose it over the former options (or Duskblade, which isn't a PrC but was one of my favorite characters ever).