PDA

View Full Version : Killoren for Pathfinder

vp21ct
2010-09-19, 05:20 AM
So I'm hopping to convince my DM to let me play the Killoren Race from Races of the Wild in his Pathfinder game, wich follows the Kingmaker adventure path. I'm not entirely familiar with fiddling the rules of things, nor am I entirely familiar with pathfinder, so I was hopping if I could get some help here.

Now with added Fluffiness:

“Hunter, destroyer, and keeper of ancient knowledge; I am nature’s
answer to the rising power of man.”
—Allailai, killoren ancient.

A newly risen race of powerful fey, the killoren blend nature’s patience and power with the ambition and aggression of the humanoid races.

The ancient places of the world stir with a power of their
own. From this power, the killoren have sprung in answer to the growing might of the humanoid races. Whether the work of some great nature deity or the spontaneous creation of the wild power of nature itself, killoren are at once young and eternal, newly brought to the world but with unknowable ancient ties to the heart of nature. As fey, killoren have a tie to nature unmatched by the humanoid races, but unlike other fey, killoren are not content to wait in the dark recesses of the dwindling forests.

Killoren are aggressive, ambitious manifestations of nature’s presence and power, and they walk through the cities of man as easily as they meditate in the glades of a verdant forest. There are as yet few killoren in the world compared to the population of humans and other humanoid races, but their numbers are quickly growing. So far, these adaptable fey have only come into isolated conflict with evil powers bent on despoiling nature, but it is obvious they are destined for more.The killoren have begun to make known their presence in the world, and a few far-seeing and learned sages wonder at the implications of their growing power and numbers.

Personality: Killoren have an innate connection to nature’s power; as such, the natural world and its best interests are never far from their thoughts. Killoren also differ from other races in that they have three different aspects of their personality that correspond with their ability to manifest different aspects of nature’s might. Killoren who manifest the destroyer aspect are arrogant and aggressive, those who manifest the aspect of the hunter are stealthy and subtle, and those who manifest the aspect of the ancient think carefully and look deep into the heart of a matter before voicing their thoughts.

All of this combines with a Killoren's natural curiosity and ambition, their desire to learn about and make their place in the world of the older races.

Physical Description: Killoren resemble half-elves or elves, though their limbs are thinner and longer, and their ears longer and more sweeping. Their skin is typically tan, brown, or light green, and is the texture of a young leaf. Their hair and eyes change color according to which aspect they're manifesting.

Relations: Killoren are as yet a young race, and as such, most do not even recognize them as anything more than strange elves. That said, most allies of Nature who recognize them would be on friendly terms. Racially, Dwarves often find their inquisitiveness and connection to nature grating, but appreciate their ambition and drive, even if it is directed at strange things. Gnomes and Halflings often find themselves on wonderful terms with Killoren, as they are similarly curious. Elves may see the Killoren as young and Naive, if they recognize them at all, though there are many who are afraid that they may represent a Nature that is becoming more aggressive. Humans, Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs will often feel the most similarity to the Killoren, as they share their ambition and drive, as well as being varied both culturally and individually, the Half-Blooded races in particular would have a greater understanding of the duality of the Killoren's existence.

Alignment: Killoren share a strong connection to nature, and it often guides their decisions. However, it does not dominate them as it does other fey, and they possess the ability to be of any alignment. Though they tend more toward Good and Chaos, Killoren of all alignments exist.

Lands: As of yet, Killoren are few in number, and have yet to truly claim any lands of their own. Most live in villages hidden within the forest, in harmony with their surroundings. However, a few ambitious groups may already be starting to claim guardianship over larger areas, and begin to form small nations.

Society: Killoren seldom have a structured hierarchy as most other races do, typically deferring to the wisdom of their elders. However, in larger communities, and in the few kingdoms that are slowly forming, an especially ambitious and powerful Killoren, young or old, may be able to take a central leadership position. In most cases, the leaders of either organization will be a Druid, though exceptions to this norm exist.

Religion: Few Killoren worship in the sense the other races do. For them, Nature is their god, and they are filled with it's power in their Manifestations. However, in their quest to understand the older races, some may take up the worship of a Human or Elven deity, typically, though not necessarily, one with ties to Nature.

Language: Killoren speak Sylvan, the language of the fey, as well as Common. Many will try and learn other languages as well.

Names: Killoren have only one name, and they choose this name themselves upon declaring their own maturity, usually near the beginning of their tenth year of life. Killoren names always have three syllables, the last of which denotes their family in the same way that a human’s family name shows his or her relation. Example killoren names include Durmindin, Ennimbel, Kettenbar, and Shallahai.

Adventurers: Killoren adventure to learn about the world. Unlike other fey, killoren are driven by the nameless powers of nature to learn about the humanoid races and customs. Killoren match the aggression and ambition of humanoids, but they also maintain the eternal connection to nature that all fey embody. As killoren grow in power and number, they form ever-changing opinions of humans and their allies, helping the causes that they deem to be one with nature’s design and opposing those who would despoil or destroy nature’s beauty. Experienced killoren might adventure with a more definite purpose— working to thwart the schemes of a particular religious cult, protecting nature from wild orcs and goblinoids, or hunting powerful outsiders that are beyond the reach of nature’s other servants.

Origins: In most settings, Killoren are created as a means of learning about the Humanoid world in ways not normally open to their creators, be they the Gods and Goddesses of nature or Fey Lords. This sets them apart from other fey, turning them into something of outcasts in the Fey realms (Much in the way Elves are in some settings, but where elves are simply 'fallen' fey, Killoren were actively created as such).

Aging and Death: Killoren do not age as other races age. Most reach maturity by the age of ten, the Aspects of nature helping them to grow and mature faster. After they reach this age, however, their growing will slow considerably. Most do not truly grow old until the age of 100, and noone knows how long a Killoren might truly live. None have lived past 150 years, opting to undergo a ritual of reincarnation, but there may well be those who have found a purpose too great for them to 'die'.

The Killoren stats, as I've addapted them currently, are as follows: Version 5

Ability Adjustment: Killoren must choose a +2 racial ability adjustment in either their Wisdom, Dexterity, or Charisma at first level.
Fey: Killoren are of the fey type and are therefore not affected by spells such as charm person and hold person. Unlike other fey, killoren gain Hit Dice only by acquiring levels in a character class.
A killoren’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Killoren can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Immunity to magic sleep effects and a +2 racial bonus on saves against enchantment spells or effects.
Racial Skills: Killoren have a +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks.
Cold Iron Anathema (Su): Killoren have a difficult time wielding weapons made of cold iron. Killoren take a –2 penalty on any attack roll they make with a cold iron weapon or a weapon made only partially out of cold iron, such as a cold iron spear or a bow firing cold iron arrows.
Manifest Nature’s Might (Su): Killoren are forever bound to the raw forces of nature itself, manifesting this bond even in their physical form. A killoren can only manifest one aspect of nature’s might at a time. Each morning as the sun rises, a killoren spends 10 minutes in quiet meditation, filling her spirit with the aspect of nature that is most needed for her current tasks. Once a killoren chooses an aspect, she manifests that aspect until the next morning, when she chooses again which aspect to manifest. Many killoren favor one aspect over the others and rarely choose to manifest one of the other two aspects.

Aspect of the Ancient While manifesting the aspect of the ancient, a killoren embodies the deep and ancient secrets of nature itself. With this bond to nature’s secret lore, a killoren gains a racial bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks equal to her Hit Dice and gains an additional +2 bonus on saving throws against enchantment effects. This bonus stacks with the killoren’s normal racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment effects. Additionally, 1/day and after 10 minutes of meditation, she can add her wisdom Modifier to any knowledge check made within those 10 minutes, weather or not it is a class skill. While a killoren manifests the aspect of the ancient, her hair turns white and her eyes turn to the color of a blue summer sky.

Aspect of the Destroyer Many races revere nature for its power to destroy, but none more so than a killoren manifesting the aspect of the destroyer. Additionally, Once per encounter (up to a maximum number of times per day equal to the character’s Charisma bonus, minimum 1), a Killoren can call out to the powers of Nature to aid her in her struggle. As a swift action, the killoren chooses one target within sight to smite. The Killoren adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her hit dice to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. In addition, while smite unnatural is in effect, the Killoren gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier (if any) to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. If the Killoren targets a creature that is not Unnatural, the smite is wasted with no effect. This smite attack works only against aberrations, constructs, humanoids, oozes, outsiders, and undead. If a killoren accidentally smites a creature that is not one of the creature types listed above, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that hour and counts against the total uses per day. While a killoren manifests the aspect of the destroyer, her hair and eyes turn a deep, lusterless black; many find the gaze of a killoren destroyer’s coal-black eyes to be unnerving, and thus, she gains a +2 to intimidate.

Aspect of the Hunter The hunt affects nearly every aspect of nature and claims a place of great prominence and importance in the cycle of life. A killoren manifesting the aspect of the hunt is bound to nature’s ancient tradition of the hunt, and her senses sharpen to an amazing degree. While manifesting the aspect of the hunt, a killoren gains a +2 racial bonus on Stealth and Perception, and a +2 racial bonus on nitiative checks. While a killoren manifests the aspect of the hunter, her hair and eyes turn a deep forest green, and her skin tone becomes a deeper rown than when manifesting one of the other aspects.

Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Elven, Gnome, Ignan, Terran.

vp21ct
2010-09-20, 01:21 PM
Can I please get some help with this? I think the skills are balanced, but the Smite worries me, so any help/assessment on it would be appreciated.

vp21ct
2010-09-21, 07:00 AM
OK... so... I adjusted the smite ability, comparring what the Killoren changes for the 3.5 smite, and basically replacing what wasn't changed with the Pathfinder smite, so smiting works like Pathfinder now. Additionally, I added a +2 ability adgustment to an ability of their choice, as they are quite similar to humans, and it seems every race has a total of +2, and Killoren shouldn't be left out.

I also added a bit of fluff because... well... who doesn't like their things to be fluffy. Oh yeah, and one more thing. If you open this up and read this, and then read all the way, it would be rather nice and even helpful if you actually left a comment!

Thank you.

Golden-Esque
2010-09-21, 07:37 AM
In terms of the Pathfinder races, its probably a little bit weak, but that's mostly because you don't have the Killoren's Favored Class or Racial Trait substitutions made. Also, if the Aspects are going to be their schtick, those are a little weak too. You get a +2 to two skills of your choice, pretty much. I find that underwhelming.

If I was DM, I'd be fine with this race, but I'd probably urge you to pick a race that's a little more on-par with the other Pathfinder races. I'd say this is slightly weaker than the Pathfinder elf, personally.

vp21ct
2010-09-21, 07:59 AM
Favored class, if I read pathfinder right, is something you select, and no longer determined by race, so it was purposefully left blank.

I also gave them a +2 to the ability of their choice, as their much like humans.

Infact, Killoren are largely bassed on Half-Elves, Gaining Cold Iron Anethema and sacrificing their extra Favored Class for the Manifesting.

Thanks for repsonding, though ^^

Violet Octopus
2010-09-21, 08:19 AM
I disagree, it's not too far off the elf power-wise - they trade +2 for a commonly used skill for +2 in two less-common skills, they don't get the elven weapon proficiencies, and have an aversion to cold iron that doesn't really weaken them. They don't get the elf magic bonuses, but they get Aspects. Lastly they're not humanoid type, so they get some immunities to certain types of spells/effects.

My main issue is that the Aspects could be more interesting, if not necessarily more powerful, and apart from updates to the skills and Smite, it's the same as the 3.5 version.

My suggestions for updating the Aspects are:
* Instead of a +2 to any ability score at char creation, a changing +2 based on what aspect they have that day would be cooler. Wisdom for Aspect of the Ancient, Dexterity for Aspect of the Hunter and Strength for Aspect of the Destroyer (or possibly Charisma) would be the obvious choices.
* Change the smiting to 1/encounter rather than the strange 1/hour up to Cha bonus times per day mechanic it originally had. If the character has a low Cha it's going to suck anyway.
* Let Aspect of the Hunter get a bonus to initiative equal to their Wisdom bonus, alternately, give them a 1/encounter ability as well. Or Track as a bonus feat.
* Aspect of the Ancient... not sure. :-/

If you want a little more wiggle room for making the aspects more powerful, perhaps make Cold Iron Anathema more of a weakness - cold iron weapons do more damage to it. It's still pretty situational, so it's not a great source of power.

vp21ct
2010-09-21, 08:40 AM
That's actually pretty clever with the ability scores :smallsmile:

And yeah, I think I'll restore their immunities, then. With the Cold Iron... hmm... I'm not sure how to handle weaknesses, as I've never really used them before.

Getting Track as a bonus from Hunter would be good, if it werent for the fact that Rangers get that anyway, and most Killoren will either be Druids or Rangers. But the Initiative bonus probably would work.

For the Ancient, I might move their benefit from the Racial Feat into it, wich lets them meditate for 10 minutes and then gain an insight bonus equal to their wisdom score on the first Knowledge (any) check made after that.

vp21ct
2010-09-21, 10:42 AM
Version 3 up, placed in OP for simplicity's sake. :smallwink:

vp21ct
2010-09-21, 03:27 PM
Now with added Fluffiness! ^^

vp21ct
2010-09-22, 09:43 AM
Ok... Draft 5. Thoughts on them now?

sigurd
2010-09-22, 11:26 PM
I think its an interesting race.

Don't be surprised if your DM doesn't let you play a Fey in the Kingmaker adventure path. Its sort of a civilized races into the wilderness theme. I think fey are involved in some later modules and your DM may refuse fey characters.

Comments:

I'd make the race choose one aspect at creation.
Perhaps I'd include a typical fey damage increase to Cold Iron
I'd refuse to let Killoren's play Paladins and Celestial themed elements\bloodlines etc....

I'd be tempted to detail that Killoren's who choose to adventure leave their woodland realm and many of its protections and obligations. Returning to the fey should not be as easy as 'honey I'm home!'.

Sigurd

vp21ct
2010-09-23, 06:43 AM
In the original fluff, it said that a Killoren usually will have one that dominates their life, but are able to manifest the others if need be...

Maybe... they choose the dominant aspect, and once per week they can choose to manifest another aspect? But only gain the ability bonus from the dominant one?

sigurd
2010-09-23, 07:57 AM
I'm not averse to them changing aspects but it should take a racial ceremony and other Killoren(s) - something like vulcans returning to mate or Klingons having to return for rite of passage ceremonies.

Either the character has a background or doesn't. If they never need to see another Killoren again you run the risk of simply being a differently min\maxed human. Racial details should tie a character down and give the role play for that character some structure.

As it is, you have a 'Fey' character that doesn't have inherent loyalties to any fey court (a primary fey characteristic in my campaign), that isn't tied to a region and doesn't suffer for spending the rest of its life in downtown Greyhawk.

Without more ties that bind I would not give you any Fey bonuses in diplomacy etc... The race might know of the fey but it's hardly part of them.

That might be more acceptable for Kingmaker and it's not necessarily bad. If you want them to be Fey though I think you should give them more ties back to region\ritual and tradition.

Some of your fluff is really self evident (they can learn other languages etc) and most of it talks of exceptions rather than beliefs. If the race sprang from natural power centers then those centers will direct their morality\outlook and protecting those centers is like self preservation. I think you need a few factions that have differing alignment. A lot of your fluff seems written to serve a player not being anything like Killoren.

If they have a racial identity they will be tied into a setting web by their own actions and ambitions or the actions of others. What do the elves think of them? Druids? Faery? If they are so tied to and influenced by leaves and woods, why do they adventure?

Are they still the leafy green wildmen that look like cat people from the Races of the Wild illustration? That sort of physique screams for some sort of guidelines as to how they are seen by other races.

Just my .02

vp21ct
2010-09-23, 08:15 AM
Ah...

Hmm... the ritual thing is a great idea, actually... except it sort of cements them too much. Perhaps they could change their dominant aspect using such a ritual.

As for why they adventure despite being connected to nature, it has alot to do with what they are, to nature. They are not simply it's guardians, they are also it's scouts, spies, and soldiers. The fact of the matter is that they are a whole race of fey who are the exception to what fey typically are! They build homes and villages, maybe even small kingdoms. As for the religious aspect, the obvious is that they seldom worship a deity, but natures might itself.

As for racial 'identity'... as a young race, their kindof like humans. DMs and players should be allowed to apply their own identity to them. They might be Benevolent protectors of Nature, or a powerful, militant Empire that uses natures might to bend others to their knees. They might be all of this in the same setting! That's the point of them.

sigurd
2010-09-23, 08:51 AM
"scouts, spies, and soldiers" risk their lives for a particular cause or faction. Generally, they follow orders and don't simply wander about to see the world.

If they work for nature, I think you need more ties and more discussion of their motives.

S

Violet Octopus
2010-09-23, 02:02 PM
Mechanics

I like the idea of meditating to gain Wis bonus to a Knowledge roll, though restricting it to 1/day seems unnecessary. II don't know how to easily break the game with a knowledge check, especially when it's unusable in combat. At-will, alternately Times/Day equal to Wis modifier (at least 1) would link it to the Aspect of the Destroyer.

I'm not really in favour of restricting aspects to 1 dominant/two lesser. One thing I like about the Killoren is their flexibility (and being an ECL+0 fey). Roleplaying a character with a single personality modified by three changing aspects would also be more fun*. Nine times out of ten a Killoren's choice of class is going to mechanically encourage using one aspect anyway.

*random side thought: what would be really fun is a wizard character whose prepared spells for that day would influence his personality based on what magic school had dominance. There are the stereotypes for what personalities specialise in each school, what if it was the other way round?

Any reason why you changed the ability modifier to one chosen at first level rather than one that changes depending on Aspect? Note I'm not particularly attached to the idea, despite your compliment (honestly I have no idea if I thought of it or remembered it from somewhere else). Just curious.

Just found out that Wilden, from 4th edition, are clearly based on the Killoren. Each day they get an encounter power from one of their aspects: Destroyer gets one that lets them angrily counterattack, Hunter can pursue a moving enemy as an immediate action, Ancient can teleport after hitting someone :smallconfused:

Might be a source of ideas.

Fluff Ideas

Only suggestions, feel free to ignore depending on where you want to take these critters:

* Created/unconsciously spawned to be intermediaries between the natural world/fey and the humanoids. As a result, they are Fallen in a sense, and are not subject to the RP benefits and powerful bonds with nature a more typical fey would receive. It would be like Celestials not understanding why humans turned to Evil, so they choose to be reborn as mortals to gain the flexibility of outlook and real-world insight to finally understand and thus better counter Evil. Likewise, it is literally unthinkable for fey to want to destroy the wild, so Fey Lords and/or Nature needed to create Fallen, to learn about mortals. Celestials are more self-sacrificing than Fey Lords, so the latter created the Killoren as offspring and abandoned them to make their own way.
...actually, I think I may make Aasimar this - reborn Celestials.
Anyway, maybe when they're in the Aspect of the Ancient, the knowledge transfer works both ways, and Nature learns more about Civilisation.

* Since they are a young race and due to low population would live in smallish groups or tribes, they experiment with a lot of political ideas and methods of social organisation which it would be more difficult for even a human city to adopt. So while they have a tendency for druidic enclaves, there's a lot of flourishing diversity.

* The various enclaves are becoming more organised and interconnected with each other, so the first powerful multi-enclave factions are arising. Factions based on each single aspect is a little obvious, so I'm going to go with factions based on pairs:
- Hunter/Destroyer: Primitivists who aim to eliminate all humanoid influence on nature, except maaybe wood and wild elves (unless they side with the high elves) They focus on a campaign of sabotage while trying to disguise and obscure the fact that it's Killoren doing it - in fact, if they convince humans, etc. that it's the elves, they can divide and conquer.
- Ancient/Destroyer: A faction that focuses on eradicating more esoteric corruption such as aberrations and outsiders, especially those from the Far Realms. Derided by the others as too focused on extraplanar threats to pay attention to the immediate dangers. Most likely to trust and outright ally with humans, dwarves etc to meet common goals, ignoring what those races may be doing.
- Hunter/Ancient: Nature's spies/anthropologists. Most likely to immerse themselves in humanoid cultures. They have a pretty high attrition rate as many Killoren fully assimilate into these cultures and stop reporting back
- All three: Diplomats who intercede between humanoids and nature, sometimes taking sides against evil fey or spirits, but never trusting humans. With their aggressive side, could end up being like Werewolf: The Forsaken.

* brief summary of 4th ed fluff: They are very new, spawned to fight the Far Realm, lack individualism, are open towards other races but remain rooted in their purpose, and always live in harmony with nature. Eh, nothing new there.

vp21ct
2010-09-23, 05:37 PM
Well, if the stat were based on what was being manifested, then certain things such as Feat prereqs wouldn't be possible. They'd essentially have only a temporary modifier for their ability.

Also,

* Created/unconsciously spawned to be intermediaries between the natural world/fey and the humanoids. As a result, they are Fallen in a sense, and are not subject to the RP benefits and powerful bonds with nature a more typical fey would receive. It would be like Celestials not understanding why humans turned to Evil, so they choose to be reborn as mortals to gain the flexibility of outlook and real-world insight to finally understand and thus better counter Evil. Likewise, it is literally unthinkable for fey to want to destroy the wild, so Fey Lords and/or Nature needed to create Fallen, to learn about mortals. Celestials are more self-sacrificing than Fey Lords, so the latter created the Killoren as offspring and abandoned them to make their own way.

THIS! This all the way!

I also like the enclave ideas, though, naturally, there would be other enclaves that would take entirely different approaches.

zaktzu
2010-09-26, 06:49 PM
I love the work you've done. I took the liberty to compile it, along with information found on various other websites, and also added some fluff of my own. I am new to D&D (and this forum), so don't bite my head off if it's ridiculous xD

Here it is (most of it is yours, of course):

The Killoren Race
“Hunter, destroyer, and keeper of ancient knowledge; I am nature’s answer to the rising power of man.”—Allailai, Killoren Ancient.

The Killoren: A newly risen race of powerful Fey, the Killoren blend Nature’s patience and power with the ambition and aggression of the Humanoid races.

The ancient places of the world stir with a power of their own. From this power, the Killoren have sprung in answer to the growing might of the Humanoid races. Whether the work of some great nature deity or the spontaneous creation of the wild power of Nature itself, the Killoren are at once young and eternal, newly brought to the world but with unknowable ancient ties to the heart of Nature. As Fey, the Killoren have a tie to Nature unmatched by the Humanoid races; unlike other Fey, Killoren are not content to wait in the dark recesses of the dwindling forests.

The Killoren are aggressive, ambitious manifestations of Nature’s presence and power, and they walk through the cities of Man as easily as they meditate in the glades of a verdant forest. There are as yet few Killoren in the world compared to the population of Humans and other Humanoid races, but their numbers are quickly growing. So far, these adaptable Fey have only come into isolated conflict with evil powers bent on despoiling Nature, but it is obvious they are destined for more. The Killoren have begun to make known their presence in the world, and a few far-seeing and learnéd sages wonder at the implications of their growing power and numbers.

All Killoren constantly manifest an aspect of nature's might—the Killoren have no neutral, non-aspect state. All Killoren are born manifesting one of three aspects, usually the aspect their mother is manifesting at the time. The three aspects are Aspect of the Ancient, Aspect of the Destroyer, and Aspect of the Hunter. One the Killoren has matured, she is able to control which aspect she takes.

Play a Killoren if you want to ...

embody the primal spirit of the world.
be a versatile and adaptive member of any adventuring party.
be a member of a race that favours primal classes such as the warden, shaman, or druid.

Personality: The Killoren have an innate connection to Nature’s power; as such, the natural world and its best interests are never far from their thoughts. All Killoren have three general sides to their personality, somewhat dependant on what aspect they are manifesting at the time. Not truly three distinct personalities, nevertheless, most Killoren have three ways of looking at things: contemplatively, directly, or dubiously. In this way, Killoren differ from other races in that they have three different aspects of their personality that correspond with their ability to manifest different aspects of Nature’s might. Killoren who manifest the Aspect of the Destroyer are arrogant and aggressive, those who manifest the Aspect of the Hunter are stealthy and subtle, and those who manifest the Aspect of the Ancient think carefully and look deep into the heart of a matter before voicing their thoughts. All of this combines with a Killoren's natural curiosity and ambition, and their desire to learn about and make their place in the world of the older races.

Physical Description: The Killoren resemble half-elves, though their limbs are thinner and longer, and their ears are also longer and more sweeping. Males and females alike average about 5'2”-6'0” in height. They mature quickly, being full-grown by the age of 10 and live very long lives, hardly changing at all in appearance during their first century of life. Killoren have green, tan, are brown skin the texture of a soft, young leaves, and their limbs are unusually long and slender when compared with those of the humanoid races. An individual Killoren’s hair and eye colour depends on which aspect of Nature she is currently manifesting. The physical qualities that Killoren display when manifesting different aspects of Nature are summarized below:

Aspect of the Ancient: Hair turns white and eyes turn to the colour of a blue summer sky.
Aspect of the Destroyer: Hair and eyes turn a deep, lustreless black; many find the gaze of a Killoren destroyer’s coal-black eyes to be unnerving.
Aspect of the Hunter: Hair and eyes turn a deep forest green, and skin tone becomes a deeper brown than when manifesting one of the other aspects.

Relations: Killoren are as yet a young race, and as such most other races do not even recognize them as anything more than strange-looking Elves (other than Elves, of course). That said, most allies of Nature who recognize them would be on friendly terms. Racially, Dwarves often find their inquisitiveness and connection to Nature grating, but appreciate their ambition and drive, even if it is directed at strange things. Gnomes and Halflings often find themselves on wonderful terms with Killoren, as they are similarly curious. Elves may see the Killoren as young and naive, if they recognize them at all, though there are many who are afraid that they may represent a Nature that is becoming more aggressive. Humans, Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs will often feel the most similarity to the Killoren, as they share their ambition and drive, as well as being varied both culturally and individually—the half-blooded races in particular would have a greater understanding of the duality of the Killorens' existence.

Alignment: The Killoren share a strong connection to nature, and it often guides their decisions. However, it does not dominate them as it does other fey, and they possess the ability to be of any alignment. Though they tend more toward Chaotic Good, Killoren of all alignments exist.

Lands: As of yet, the Killoren are few in number, and have yet to truly claim any lands of their own. Most live in villages hidden within the forest, in harmony with their surroundings. However, a few ambitious groups may already be starting to claim guardianship over larger areas, and begin to form small nations.

Society: Killoren seldom have a structured hierarchy as most other races do, typically deferring to the wisdom of their elders. However, in larger communities, and in the few kingdoms that are slowly forming, an especially ambitious and powerful Killoren, young or old, may be able to take a central leadership position. In most cases, the leaders of either organization will be a Druid, though exceptions to this norm exist.

Religion: Few Killoren worship in the sense the other races do. For them, Nature is their god, and they are filled with its powers in their many manifestations. However, in their quest to understand the older races, some may take up the worship of a Human or Elven deity, typically, though not necessarily, one with ties to Nature. Most, however, are drawn to the reverence of natural forces.

Language: Killoren speak Sylvan, the language of the fey, as well as Common. Many will try and learn other languages as well.

Names: Killoren have only one name, and they choose this name themselves upon declaring their own maturity, usually near the beginning of their tenth year of life. Killoren names always have three syllables, the last of which denotes their family in the same way that a human’s family name shows his or her relation. Examples Killoren names include Durmindin, Ennimbel, Kettenbar, Shallahai, Corenathin, Jerambul, Harmandel, Kitukel, Malindel, and Fardelmai .

Adventurers: The Killoren adventure to learn about the world. Unlike other Fey, the Killoren are driven by the nameless powers of Nature to learn about the Humanoid races and customs. Killoren match the aggression and ambition of Humanoids, but they also maintain the eternal connection to Nature that all Fey embody. As the Killoren grow in power and number, they form ever-changing opinions of Humans and their allies, helping the causes that they deem to be one with Nature’s design and opposing those who would despoil or destroy Nature’s beauty. Experienced Killoren might adventure with a more definite purpose—working to thwart the schemes of a particular religious cult, protecting Nature from wild Orcs and Goblinoids, or hunting powerful outsiders that are beyond the reach of Nature’s other servants.

Origins: In most settings, Killoren are created as a means of learning about the Humanoid world in ways not normally open to their Creators, be they the Gods and Goddesses of Nature or Fey Lords. This sets them apart from other Fey, turning them into something of outcasts in the Fey realms—much in the way Elves are in some settings, but where Elves are simply 'fallen' Fey, the Killoren were actively created as such.

Ageing and Death: Killoren do not age as other races age. Most reach maturity by the age of ten, the Aspects of Nature helping them to grow and mature faster. After they reach this age, however, their growing will slow considerably. Most do not show signs of ageing until they pass the age of 100, and no-one knows how long a Killoren might truly live. It is therefore believed that the Killoren are immortal, dying only from accident or violence, but are only active for the first few of centuries of life. After this time, their sense of time begins to expand onto a geological scale and they become quintessential Nature spirits—sturdy as ancient mountains but still alive like mighty redwood trees. Generally, none choose to live past 150 years, opting to undergo a ritual of reincarnation, but there may well be those who have found a purpose too great to allow them to succumb to death.

Favoured Classes: Because of the nature of the connection between Nature and the Killoren, the Killoren favour the Primal classes—namely, Druid, Shaman, and Warden. Other common class choices include Ranger, Scout, and Bard.

Racial Traits
Average Height: 5'2" -6'0”
Average Weight: 100-150 lbs.
Racial Ability Adjustments: Killoren must choose a +2 racial ability adjustment in either their Wisdom, Dexterity, or Charisma at first level in addition to the racial ability adjustment, +2 Constitution.
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 ft. (land)
Vision: Low-light Vision. Killoren can see twice as far as a Human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan.
Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Elven, Gnome, Ignan, Terran.
Skill Bonuses: See Manifest Nature's Might.
Fey: Killoren are of the Fey type and are therefore not affected by spells such as Charm Person and Hold Person. Unlike other Fey, Killoren gain Hit Dice only by acquiring levels in a character class.
Immunity: Immunity to magic sleep effects.
+2 racial bonus on saves against enchantment spells or effects.
Racial Skills: Killoren have a +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Survival checks.
Cold Iron Anathema (Su): Killoren have a difficult time wielding weapons made of cold iron. Killoren take a –2 (or -4?) penalty on any attack roll they make with a cold iron weapon or a weapon made only partially out of cold iron, such as a cold iron spear or a bow firing cold iron arrows. (Should they also suffer an additional penalty when they are attacked by a weapon made in part or in full from cold iron as well?)

Manifest Nature’s Might (Su): Killoren are forever bound to the raw forces of nature itself, manifesting this bond even in their physical form. A Killoren can only manifest one aspect of nature’s might at a time. Each morning as the sun rises, a Killoren spends 10 minutes in quiet meditation, filling her spirit with the aspect of nature that is most needed for her current tasks. Once a Killoren chooses an aspect, she manifests that aspect until the next morning, when she chooses again which aspect to manifest. Many Killoren favour one aspect over the others (usually determined by the 1st level ability adjustment chosen) and rarely choose to manifest one of the other two aspects. Each aspect offers particular benefits, including racial skill bonuses, and provides an associated encounter power. Your appearance and personality changes based on the aspect you are manifesting.

Aspect of the Ancient: While manifesting the aspect of the ancient, a Killoren embodies the deep and ancient secrets of nature itself. This aspect confers the following benefits:

Ability Adjustments: +2 Wis in addition to initial racial adjustments.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Insight in addition to initial racial adjustments.
+1 Will Defence
Resist 5 psychic. At 11th level, the resistance improves to 10 psychic. At 21st level, the resistance improves to 15 psychic.

With this bond to nature’s secret lore, a Killoren gains a racial bonus on Knowledge (Nature) checks equal to her Hit Dice and gains an additional +2 bonus on saving throws against enchantment effects. This bonus stacks with the Killoren’s normal racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment effects. Additionally, after 10 minutes of meditation, she can add her Wisdom Modifier to any Knowledge check made within those 10 minutes, whether or not it is a class skill.

(Suggested by another forum: Once per encounter, up to a maximum number of times per day equal to the character’s Wisdom bonus, a Killoren can teleport up to 3 spaces and attack. This doesn't make much sense, though, if you ask me, because the Killoren Ancient is not going to be particularly strong in the first place.)

Encounter Power: Timeless Certainty (Killoren Utility Racial)
As you feel an external influence press upon your mind, you enter into an immediate, swift mediation and contemplate, fighting the invasion with the ancient secrets of your primal soul.

Encounter
Immediate Reaction (Personal)
Trigger: An enemy imposes the dazed, dominated, or stunned condition upon you.
Effect: Make and immediate saving throw with your Wisdom modifier as a bonus to the roll to remove the triggering effect.

Appearance: While a Killoren manifests the Aspect of the Ancient, her hair turns white and her eyes turn to the colour of a blue summer sky.

Aspect of the Destroyer: Many races revere nature for its power to destroy, but none more so than a Killoren manifesting the Aspect of the Destroyer. While a Killoren manifests the Aspect of the Destroyer, her hair and eyes turn a deep, lustreless black; many find the gaze of a Killoren Destroyer’s coal-black eyes to be unnerving. This aspect confers the following benefits:

Ability Adjustments: +2 Cha (or +2 Str?) in addition to initial racial adjustments.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Intimidate in addition to initial racial adjustments.
+1 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes with the undead or construct keyword or bloodied foes without the nature origin.

Smite: Once per encounter, up to a maximum number of times per day equal to the character’s Charisma bonus (Minimum: 1), a Killoren can call out to the powers of Nature to aid her in her struggle. As a swift action, the Killoren chooses one Unnatural target within sight to smite. The Killoren adds her Charisma bonus to her attack rolls and adds her hit dice to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. In addition, while smite unnatural is in effect, the Killoren gains a deflection bonus equal to her Charisma modifier to her AC against attacks made by the target of the smite. This smite attack works only against aberrations, constructs, humanoids, oozes, outsiders, and undead. If a Killoren accidentally smites a creature that is not one of the creature types listed above, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that encounter and counts against the total uses per day. (What if there was an elemental aspect to this? ie, lightning, fire, ice, etc.)

Encounter Power: Wrath of Nature (Killoren Attack Racial)
You channel the pure anger of the natural world toward those that are anathema to it.
Encounter Weapon
Standard Action (Melee weapon)
Target: One creature with the undead or construct keyword, or one creature without the natural origin.
Attack: Str +2, Con +2, or Dex +2 Vs. AC, Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 at 21st level.
Hit: 1[w] + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Increase to 2[w] + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage at 11th level, and to 3[w] + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls and damage rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character's life and does not change the power's other effects.

Appearance: While a Killoren manifests the Aspect of the Destroyer, her hair and eyes turn a deep, lustreless black; many find the gaze of a Killoren Destroyer’s coal-black eyes to be unnerving, and thus, she gains a +2 to intimidate.

Aspect of the Hunter: The hunt affects nearly every aspect of nature and claims a place of great prominence and importance in the cycle of life. A Killoren manifesting the Aspect of the Hunter is bound to Nature’s ancient tradition of the Hunt, and her senses sharpen to an amazing degree. This aspect confers the following benefits:

Ability Adjustments: +2 Dex in addition to initial racial adjustments.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Stealth in addition to initial racial adjustments. (+2 racial bonus to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot?)
Bonus Feat: Track
+1 racial bonus to Initiative checks

Encounter Power: Predator's Sense (Killoren Utility Racial)
Your keen predatory instincts guide your attack to the most vulnerable of your prey's openings.
Encounter
Free Action (Personal)
Effect: Before the end of your next turn, you may re-roll any one damage roll on a target you have Combat Advantage against.

Appearance: When a Killoren manifests the Aspect of the Hunter, her hair and eyes turn a deep forest green, and her skin tone becomes a deeper brown than when manifesting one of the other aspects.

Additional Notes (a.k.a. my fluff): In order to retain the strong bond with Nature necessary to give rise to the aspects, a Killoren must perform a dream ritual during every full rest. While the Killoren sleeps, she is particularly vulnerable, as she cannot easily be aroused from this deep slumber. In this state, the spirit of the Killoren travels to the Primal Source itself, and is rejuvenated in Nature's embrace. During this time, a Killoren must rely on her allies to protect her, or otherwise submit to the will of Nature itself. When the Killoren awakens from this dream ritual, she spends 10 minutes in meditation to stabilize the Aspects of Nature within herself, choosing one of the three aspects to assume. While it is theoretically possible to assume all three Aspects at once, this has never been accomplished by any Killoren, and perhaps likely never will—though under the most exceptional circumstances...

It is also said that in rare instances, a Killoren will develop prophetic abilities while in this dream-state—though they will not be aware of it themselves. This ability is most commonly heard of in the very ancient Killoren, giving rise to the legendary elders known as Dream Sages. Not much is known about Dream Sages, or even if they exist at all. Not even the Killoren know for certain.

vp21ct
2010-09-30, 11:43 PM
Hmm... that seems largely 4e-ish, particularly in the abilities they have, where the point here is to addapt them to Pathfinder.

The enthusiasm is apreciated though ^^