PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need ideas for both defense and humor for Pun-Pun's 100 level Realm/Tower!

Pika...
2010-09-19, 10:42 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/PunPunPartying-1.png

So inspired by the wizards' tower thread, and since I am picking up my campaign world again it seems I decided to have Pun-Pun make a cameo and possibly have his realm/tower/monstrosity/whatever be a possibly Dungeon of Epicness I can use for various groups for years to come. :smallbiggrin:

The basic premise is this:
1. Pun-Pun saw the Seelie Court's ever-shifting realm and thought it was cool as beans.
2. He decided to make his own traveling realm, and for some odd reason decided it was going to be a kick-ass tower.
3. He and some of his followers (he is a sorta-ultra god in my cosmology) end up building it after a few coffee breaks.
4. The Realm/Tower/Whatever is a hundred levels high (Pun-Pun calls them "layers" because that is what the Abyss calls them and that is cool!), with the top one being the top floor/roof of the place.
5. The entrance has a plaque above the door saying "Layer 1".
6. On, above, below, or right next on a comic cartoon like sign to each stairway going to the next floor (there is only one stairway connecting jointing layers) there is a plaque/sign announcing the next layer (all in the Kobold dialect of Draconic...).
7. I want each "layer" to be unique and special, with it's own challenges and possible encounters (if applicable). Heck, some could even be their own demi-planes Pun-Pun whipped up. Then again, some could just be a normal tower level without issue, and there should possibly be one with no encounters and nothing but beautiful Kobold maidens there to relax you with every possible amenity conceivable (a pleasure plane?). :smallwink:
8. I would love it if this could be one of those group/forum projects I have heard about (I am not sure where they are...can a Mod direct me, or possibly move this thread if need be?), where members are free to make a (or more if you like!) "layer" in my cosmology however they like. :smallbiggrin:
It is so much fun running others' materials!
9. On level/layer 100 (aka the roof), however; is already set as having a HUGE disco-ball rising from the tower which at night spins and lights the landscape for miles in it's funky colors. Occasionally (those who have a spy-glass or something) can see a little Kobold with and AWESOME fro just letting loose up there with an assortment of individuals (who know, probably occasionally some less strict and more humorous gods join the party?). 10. I also need a random system for when the Realm/Tower will appear on the current world I am running in my cosmology, and where on it...

Many Pikas in advance for any help!

And if you do want to contribute a layer, feel free to go wild! :smallbiggrin:

Edit:
The Levels/"Layers":

Notes:
-Those who's creator did not decide on a level number was rolled randomly on a D100.

Outside the ground entrance:

How's about an epic level soldier of the tower guarding a staircase? No-one can pass without his permission, and he's immune to magic.

The trick is to ask for his permission.

How's about an epic level soldier of the tower guarding a staircase? No-one can pass without his permission, and he's immune to magic.

I like!!!

He will be at the front of the Tower.

His name is Bob the Kobold.

Also known as Bold the Kobold.

Level/Layer 23:

One layer has a labyrinth and a Minotaur as a guide, who actually doesn't know how to get out and leads the party to exactly the wrong places.

Level 50:

For some reason after reading that idea over, I imagined a Large Red Dragon with a fake moustache/beard a la those of Gold Dragon's with a sushi bar and restaurant occupying most of one of those Layers.

Pleasure.

...for some reason when it comes to explicitly naming someone with Japanese themes and it's not supposed to be silly, I am always partial to using Miyagi for the family name. Since it's a dragon, it should be longer though.

Make it somewhere in the middle as a kind of "break" level. No real challenges or anything so if someone ever gets in and finds tons of fights and traps and puzzles and riddles waiting, they can take a moment and just eat sushi while listening to the dragon's fables. They'll be nutty fables that teach the small wisdoms of life (or how to become better fighting or such through a seemingly unrelated task of course :smallamused:).

How about Miyam'garroto? Can always add a numerical title to it like "the Fifth", as in "the Fifth of his line, of the great Sushi Chefs of Pun-punt'Ower".

Level/Layer 67:

One layer has a permanent antigravity spell on it, so the players walk on the ceiling, the problem is that it's full of beholders, when the monsters look at then their antimagic cone disables all magic and the players fall to the ground taking falling damage, when the beholders are not looking the players fly up the ceiling taking... ¿"rising" damage?

Level/Layer 72:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/Kobold_by_carlmcintyre.jpg

Then again, some could just be a normal tower level without issue, and there should possibly be one with no encounters and nothing but beautiful Kobold maidens there to relax you with every possible amenity conceivable (a pleasure plane?). :smallwink:

Level/Layer 82:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/BigComboTrailer.jpg

Layer idea:
demiplane of Noir - you know, hardboiled detectives with a penchant for trouble, ruthless gangsters hand in hand with corrupted authorities and mysterious dames in distress... in a fantasy medieval setting. Important traits: lots of rain, dimmly lit, colours seem to be faded and everyone has some weird urge to wander aimlessly while internaly monologuing (telephatic characters might find some loudly broadcasting detectives here and there). There might be obviously some hardboiled quests to take. :smallbiggrin:

Level/Layer 99:

One layer has a tarrasque barbecue, the guys there have the tarrasque prisoner and chop off his limbs to eat it, the tarrasque will regenerates them in a few more minutes, there's enough for everyone, even the party. You have free the tarrasque to go to the next layer.

Morph Bark
2010-09-19, 11:13 AM
For some reason after reading that idea over, I imagined a Large Red Dragon with a fake moustache/beard a la those of Gold Dragon's with a sushi bar and restaurant occupying most of one of those Layers.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-19, 11:17 AM

...And now I'm seeing that.

Thanks.

npc revolution
2010-09-19, 11:17 AM

Pika...
2010-09-19, 11:18 AM

What an awesome start M-Break. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Any particular level/layer you want, and want to name the dragon?

I like!!!

He will be at the front of the Tower.

Gnomo
2010-09-19, 11:54 AM

One layer has a labyrinth and a Minotaur as a guide, who actually doesn't know how to get out and leads the party to exactly the wrong places.

One layer has a tarrasque barbecue, the guys there have the tarrasque prisoner and chop off his limbs to eat it, the tarrasque will regenerates them in a few more minutes, there's enough for everyone, even the party. You have free the tarrasque to go to the next layer.

One layer has a permanent antigravity spell on it, so the players walk on the ceiling, the problem is that it's full of beholders, when the monsters look at then their antimagic cone disables all magic and the players fall to the ground taking falling damage, when the beholders are not looking the players fly up the ceiling taking... ¿"rising" damage?

Morph Bark
2010-09-19, 12:08 PM
...And now I'm seeing that.

Thanks.

What an awesome start M-Break. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Any particular level/layer you want, and want to name the dragon?

Pleasure.

...for some reason when it comes to explicitly naming someone with Japanese themes and it's not supposed to be silly, I am always partial to using Miyagi for the family name. Since it's a dragon, it should be longer though.

Make it somewhere in the middle as a kind of "break" level. No real challenges or anything so if someone ever gets in and finds tons of fights and traps and puzzles and riddles waiting, they can take a moment and just eat sushi while listening to the dragon's fables. They'll be nutty fables that teach the small wisdoms of life (or how to become better fighting or such through a seemingly unrelated task of course :smallamused:).

How about Miyam'garroto? Can always add a numerical title to it like "the Fifth", as in "the Fifth of his line, of the great Sushi Chefs of Pun-punt'Ower".

Also known as Boulder the Koboulder (or the Kobold Holder, if he's great at grappling).

Radar
2010-09-19, 01:24 PM
Some random ideas:
1. The Tower should include cleaning and maintain crews (maybe very pious kobolds were granted the honor of personaly serving Pun-Pun as an afterlife reward or part thereof). Expect slippery floors with sings "Warning, wet" (might make it a puzzle, in which you can only travel in straight lines through slippery area), freshly painted doors and benches, some random stuff being "out of order" (even gravity or casuality can break sometimes)- not too often obviously, but those can be really random encounters.
2. Tourists - in organised groups or just a couple here and there ("Could you paint a picture of us with the ingenious deathtrap in the background? Thank you.")

Layer idea:
demiplane of Noir - you know, hardboiled detectives with a penchant for trouble, ruthless gangsters hand in hand with corrupted authorities and mysterious dames in distress... in a fantasy medieval setting. Important traits: lots of rain, dimmly lit, colours seem to be faded and everyone has some weird urge to wander aimlessly while internaly monologuing (telephatic characters might find some loudly broadcasting detectives here and there). There might be obviously some hardboiled quests to take. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2010-09-19, 10:29 PM
Thank you all so far!!!!

These ideas are amazing, and will hopefully be sure to be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Please keep them coming folks.

ps. I have edited the OP with all your created layers so far!

Radar
2010-09-20, 06:44 AM
It might not fill an entire layer, but you could make one of them a tower in a tower thing (something like the final of Game of Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Death)) with a mini boss at each floor. Depending on your group, it might be even a series of one-on-one matches (one per PC, with an enemy tailored to their skills, but with some optional hidden flaws to be uncover). It would be best, if it would be treated as a test instead of a deathmatch. Being defeated would just end with a phrase "You are not worthy of ascension." and the PC can later try again. If the PC wins, then their opponent reforms itself into a radiant featureless humanoid and says something like "Claim your reward." pointing at a staircase leading upward.

Also:
70's disco club filled with Funk Golems (more about them later). Mind Fog trap instead of a smoke machine, Scintilating Pattern traps instead of regular disco lights, and some seriously funky music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v8LyfRk_7M) playing (James Brown, Donna Summer, Commodores etc.).
Important aspects of Funk Golems, I can think of: if PCs don't wrack the disco or actively attack them, they should just dance off like there's no tommorow. Yet, they would try to use Irresistible Dance on anyone entering the dance-floor and the exit is obviously on the other side. They would also try to grab anyone crossing and force them to dance - Perform(Dance) check or take some nonlethal damage due to being steped on or somesuch until you break the grapple. If PCs want to wreck the place (or just disable the traps), then the Funk Golems would be quite upset. I have yet to think up a proper D&D fighting style for them (most likely some form of unarmed combat).

Gnomo
2010-09-21, 01:50 PM
What CR should the funk/disco golems have? Sounds like a good monster to stat out.

One layer is filled with a permanent magical darkness epic spell, so it cannot be dispelled by light spells of higher level, and the ground is filled with cute tiny and diminutive animals CR 1/8 with something like 1 hp each, many of them can fly, see the good aligned players trying not to kill too many. All the animals can merge into one giant magical beast with 40 HD, that can, of course, see through magical darkness, if the party steps on 8 of them.

By the way OP, you put the tarrasque BBQ twice in the first post.

Radar
2010-09-22, 03:53 AM
What CR should the funk/disco golems have? Sounds like a good monster to stat out.
It would depend on the layer, they're on and obviously PCs level. Unfortunately I'm inexperianced, when it comes to properly stating monsters, since I haven't had many opportunities to test my creations (low ammount of games DMed doesn't help either). If you (or anyone else) would like to stat them, I would be very thankful.

ffone
2010-09-22, 04:42 AM
It would depend on the layer, they're on and obviously PCs level. Unfortunately I'm inexperianced, when it comes to properly stating monsters, since I haven't had many opportunities to test my creations (low ammount of games DMed doesn't help either). If you (or anyone else) would like to stat them, I would be very thankful.

Satyr with some template?

Or just switch their DR 5/cold iron to /adamantine, give construct traits (and no Con score, but keep the mental scores).

hewhosaysfish
2010-09-22, 07:09 AM
The Tower should include cleaning and maintain crews (maybe very pious kobolds were granted the honor of personaly serving Pun-Pun as an afterlife reward or part thereof). Expect slippery floors with sings "Warning, wet" (might make it a puzzle, in which you can only travel in straight lines through slippery area), freshly painted doors and benches, some random stuff being "out of order" (even gravity or casuality can break sometimes)- not too often obviously, but those can be really random encounters.
Ahead of you in the corridor, you see a rectangle of cardboard apparently floating in mid-air. On it are stencilled the words: "THIS REALITY OUT OF ORDER. WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCOVENIENCE"
Do you continue down the corridor? :smallamused:

drakir_nosslin
2010-09-22, 07:29 AM
Ahead of you in the corridor, you see a rectangle of cardboard apparently floating in mid-air. On it are stencilled the words: "THIS REALITY OUT OF ORDER. WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCOVENIENCE"

And if they continue they find something like this?
http://psychoanalyst.ru/old/i/esher.jpg

Radar
2010-09-22, 09:33 AM
(...)
Conveniently I even created a method of dealing with such an enviroment some time ago: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7748892&postcount=31). I have yet to try it in a game tough.

Or just switch their DR 5/cold iron to /adamantine, give construct traits (and no Con score, but keep the mental scores).

Considering I initialy wanted to put then together with some high-level traps, they probably should be somewhat stronger then that. It might be easily fixed by giving them some PC levels (maybe unarmed Swordsage, with Perform(dancing) from his racial HD instead of the regular). Come to think of it, the music might be played by other kind of Funk Golems with Bard levels instead, who would keep a few different kinds of Bardic Musics going. That would require making a specific exclusion in their construct traits (this thing about immunity to mind-affecting effects).

Other thought i just had is that Irresistible Dance is kind of an overkill, since it counts as a +2 LA for pixies with just 1/day. Giving the dancers Improved Grab and boosting their grapple bonus might be a better idea.

Boren
2010-09-22, 11:16 AM
Layer 2:
The Fetching halls
Every wall, floor, and ceiling are covered in mirrors. All paths are dead ends and you have to negotiate with your fetch to let you pass through the mirror to get through. No teleport spells work in on this level ether.

Pika...
2010-09-22, 11:46 AM

Yes please!!!

One layer is filled with a permanent magical darkness epic spell, so it cannot be dispelled by light spells of higher level, and the ground is filled with cute tiny and diminutive animals CR 1/8 with something like 1 hp each, many of them can fly, see the good aligned players trying not to kill too many. All the animals can merge into one giant magical beast with 40 HD, that can, of course, see through magical darkness, if the party steps on 8 of them.

Hehehehe. :smallbiggrin:

By the way OP, you put the tarrasque BBQ twice in the first post.

Thanks. I missed copied what #67 should have been: The Anti-gravity beholder room.

http://psychoanalyst.ru/old/i/esher.jpg

How on earth would an experienced DM be able to run this. It is like one step below being able to run in the Far Realm as a DM... O.O

OracleofWuffing
2010-09-22, 11:51 AM
The tower is powered by slinkies which are perpetually going down a set of going-up escalators.

On layer 13, all of the "don't do this because it's unlucky" superstitions happen. The doorway has a ladder instead of an arch above it. Containers of salt are everywhere and easily spilled down a grated floor so players can't throw it over their shoulders. Black cats everywhere (whether or not they can be distracted with cheeseburgers, up to you). Cracks on the floor, upon stepping on them, one is notified by sending or the like that one's mother has injured her back. That sort of thing.

On layer 1 only, there is an elevator that goes from layer 1 to layer 100. However, unless the character is on their way out of the tower, it is barricaded off with several impassable "CONSTRUCTION AT WORK" signs, and the door is bricked in.

Radar
2010-09-22, 02:06 PM
How on earth would an experienced DM be able to run this. It is like one step below being able to run in the Far Realm as a DM... O.O
I linked to a system for that in my previous post, but it still may induce headache.
You may however make a dumpster layer - "Roadside Picninc" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic) style. A place, where Pun-Pun throws the more esoteric broken thingmajigs, widgets, gizmos and doodads. There are untold wonders to be found, but are the PCs reckless enough to risk their lives (at least) for things, they might not even be able to comprehend?

DragoonWraith
2010-09-22, 02:36 PM
How about they climb a staircase, and find themselves outside the tower - the door to the tower behind them goes back down the stairs to the next level. The world outside the tower is a perfect copy, except that nothing really happens - there are people who live their lives, every day, but don't age, no major events happen, etc etc. And the staircase to the next level is in the house/hut/cave/whatever in which Pun-Pun grew up in, as this is a perfect recreation of some happy day from his childhood, or something.

randomhero00
2010-09-22, 03:46 PM
Simple, almost empty room, there's two pedestals with blue pills and red pills. You have to take both to see the door out. :smallbiggrin:

Jergmo
2010-09-22, 05:13 PM
Layer 37: The Layer of Uncomfortably Close Contact.

Its sole inhabitant is a "touchy-feely" middle-aged balding man named Morgan wearing a trenchcoat. He has inexplicably clammy hands and has a tendency to stand entirely too close to one's person as well as "accidentally" bumping into you. Under his trenchcoat is another trenchcoat.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-22, 05:31 PM
One of the rooms has nothing in it but a a pitch black pit. They have to jusp down into the pit to go upto the next level of the tower.