PDA

View Full Version : Can you leave a weapon in a target?

earlybirdo
2010-09-19, 04:21 PM
Recently my party and I started to make new characters for a 3.5 campaign, and I was playing around with the idea of either a ritiik or a harpoon, but don't quite understand the rules for the weapons.

If I attack a target, successfully hit, and achieve a trip with a ritiik, the weapon is lodged in the character. Can I pull the weapon out myself and deal damage? If the weapon stays in the target, do they take penalties to attack or movement?

Are their rules for leaving a weapon inside a target?

Shadowleaf
2010-09-19, 04:22 PM
None. You trip him, and automaticly pull your weapon out.

Anything else would be houserules.

Flickerdart
2010-09-19, 04:26 PM
There is a "fleshgrinding" weapon that stays lodged in your enemy, dealing extra damage every turn for 5 rounds. BoVD, I believe.

earlybirdo
2010-09-19, 04:41 PM

In that case, if eligible for a second attack that round(ie. at +6/+1) would you be able to attack again? And does the ability of the target to pull the weapon out happen instead of the reflex save or after the reflex save? Thank you both for your timely and helpful remarks.

cupkeyk
2010-09-19, 04:42 PM
The harpoon lodges itself in your opponent and the opponent can rip it out by dealing damage to himself. The opponent cannot move more than 10 feet from you. I think this is in arms and equipment guide or stormwrack.

Heliomance
2010-09-19, 04:43 PM

Not if the ritiik has similar rules to the harpoon, in that it's a weapon designed to lodge in the target.

cupkeyk
2010-09-19, 04:45 PM
What is a ritiik anyway, dnd wise? which book is it in? EDIT: Found it in frostburn.

Heliomance
2010-09-19, 04:49 PM
Thought it sounded Frostburn-y

cupkeyk
2010-09-19, 04:59 PM
Reading the Ritiik, it looks like a melee version of a harpoon that allows tou to trip a hooked opponent every round. Sounds very cruel.

If I attack a target, successfully hit, and achieve a trip with a ritiik, the weapon is lodged in the character. Can I pull the weapon out myself and deal damage? If the weapon stays in the target, do they take penalties to attack or movement?

Its the other way arround actually. You lodge the ritiik in the opponent before tripping them; they need to fail a reflex save but it requires no additional attack roll. You can attempt a trip on the same round if you have multiple attacks due to high BAB on a full attack though.

It doesn't allow you to rip it off yourself but its a great way of forcing an opponent to disarm themselves. As long as the ritiik is attached, you and the opponent must win strength checks to drag the other along as either of you move.