PDA

View Full Version : [pathfinder] Rogue PrCs

randomhero00
2010-09-19, 04:49 PM
So what sort of builds are good for rogues in pathfinder? I was thinking half-orc (for darkvision) rogue 3/shadowdancer 1 (hide in plain sight)/wizard 3/arcane trickster 10/?

randomhero00
2010-09-19, 09:51 PM
Although human would be nice for the bonus feat since rogues are so feat starved.

How useful is hide in plain sight? Worth the dip? Anyone have experience with the arcane trickster? Seems worth the spells (pathfinder A.T. has full casting progression you only lose out the levels you have to take of rogue to qualify).

Rixx
2010-09-19, 09:55 PM
Dipping and PrCs aren't really required paths in Pathfinder. Just going straight Rogue should do you fine, unless something like Shadowdancer, Arcane Trickster, or Assassin fit your character concept better.

randomhero00
2010-09-19, 09:59 PM
They do actually fit my concept. But I'm worried I might be diluteing too much. The first 6-9 levels could be pretty rough until I "catch up." As both sneak attack and spell progression will be delayed.

PinkysBrain
2010-09-19, 10:04 PM
Horizon Walker is abusively good for Rogues ... two level dip to get ethereal plane mastery. Then take either the feat or the rogue talent which lets you attack targets with concealment and find a way to create fog. For instance you could buy a homunculus and a horn of fog and let the homunculus blow the horn for you.

As long as you attack opponents from more than 5 feet away (ranged or reach weapons, TWF is only really possible with ranged) and they don't have some magic way to see through fog, have blindsight or have uncanny dodge they will be denied dex.

PS. sniper goggles from APG are also incredibly powerful and complement this method very well.

randomhero00
2010-09-19, 10:15 PM
Horizon Walker is abusively good for Rogues ... two level dip to get ethereal plane mastery. Then take either the feat or the rogue talent which lets you attack targets with concealment and find a way to create fog. For instance you could buy a homunculus and a horn of fog and let the homunculus blow the horn for you.

As long as you attack opponents from more than 5 feet away (ranged or reach weapons, TWF is only really possible with ranged) and they don't have some magic way to see through fog, have blindsight or have uncanny dodge they will be denied dex.

PS. sniper goggles from APG are also incredibly powerful and complement this method very well.

I'm playing pure pathfinder which is why I need a little help (as I've mostly played 3.5). So no horizon walker in pathfinder as far as I know.

PinkysBrain
2010-09-19, 10:28 PM
Horizon Walker was published in the Paizo Pathfinder APG, in fact that fog trick didn't exist in 3.5 ... the class is already up on d20pfsrd ...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/horizon-walker

The sniper goggles are also in the APG.

randomhero00
2010-09-19, 11:18 PM
Horizon Walker was published in the Paizo Pathfinder APG, in fact that fog trick didn't exist in 3.5 ... the class is already up on d20pfsrd ...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/horizon-walker

The sniper goggles are also in the APG.

Sorry I'm not being clear, by pure, I meant core.

randomhero00
2010-09-20, 07:01 PM
I am especially worried about levels ~5-10 or so. I'll be fairly weak while everyone else is getting stronger. My friends are all good optimizers and I don't want to fall behind. We're playing a slow progression so those 5 levels will take a long time.

PinkysBrain
2010-09-20, 07:46 PM
I am especially worried about levels ~5-10 or so. I'll be fairly weak while everyone else is getting stronger. My friends are all good optimizers and I don't want to fall behind. We're playing a slow progression so those 5 levels will take a long time.
Play a straight arcane trickster then, it's the only really good build available ... the extra spellcasting level helps more than hide in plain sight ... why do you need hide in plain sight when when you can have spells to get out of sticky situations?

Ranged rogues don't work in PF core at low level, melee rogues work okay but they tend to die a lot (the tumble to acrobatic thing doesn't help). Arcane trickster, best option.