PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes and the feats they grant

Cieyrin
2010-09-19, 05:16 PM
Alright, I'm just downright confused on the Lycanthrope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) template.

See, I made a Kobold Were-Dire Weasel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direWeasel.htm) and the feat section of the template confuses me, as it says I should add the feats from the animal to me, with any I don't have slots for being added on as bonus feats. The Lycanthropes as Characters section just says "Add the animal’s Hit Dice to the base character’s own Hit Dice to determine how many feats the character has." No mention of those feats at all. Looking at all the example lycans and they all seem to have one extra feat than they should and my DM has no more clue than I do in how to resolve this.

I should also note I'm a Natural Wereweasel, as opposed to an afflicted one, just for reference. Meaning I'm starting with the template, as opposed to getting it after the character is born and whatnot, meaning those feats may overrun my 1st level feat, which would kinda bite.

So, HALP?!?

Nanoblack
2010-09-19, 05:27 PM
Do like it said... fill up slots gained from animal HD then every other feat that doesnt fit is given as a bonus. Don't quote me on this though, as it is based on what you posted.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 05:29 PM
Alright, I'm just downright confused on the Lycanthrope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm) template.

See, I made a Kobold Were-Dire Weasel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direWeasel.htm) and the feat section of the template confuses me, as it says I should add the feats from the animal to me, with any I don't have slots for being added on as bonus feats. The Lycanthropes as Characters section just says "Add the animal’s Hit Dice to the base character’s own Hit Dice to determine how many feats the character has." No mention of those feats at all. Looking at all the example lycans and they all seem to have one extra feat than they should and my DM has no more clue than I do in how to resolve this.

I should also note I'm a Natural Wereweasel, as opposed to an afflicted one, just for reference. Meaning I'm starting with the template, as opposed to getting it after the character is born and whatnot, meaning those feats may overrun my 1st level feat, which would kinda bite.

So, HALP?!?

Okay, Dire Weasel has bonus feats + level based feats.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direWeasel.htm
Bonus feat= Weapon Finesse

3 HD grant 1 feat to you.

A Level 1 Barb Kobold Were-Dire Weasel has 1 level 1 feat, 1 level 3 feat, and 2 bonus feats (Iron Will for template, and Weapon finesse from Dire Weasel). This Kobold has 4 Hd (1d12 +3d8) and 3 LA if natural.

Cieyrin
2010-09-19, 05:38 PM
Okay, Dire Weasel has bonus feats + level based feats.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direWeasel.htm
Bonus feat= Weapon Finesse

3 HD grant 1 feat to you.

A Level 1 Barb Kobold Were-Dire Weasel has 1 level 1 feat, 1 level 3 feat, and 2 bonus feats (Iron Will for template, and Weapon finesse from Dire Weasel). This Kobold has 4 Hd (1d12 +3d8) and 3 LA if natural.

Alright, yeah, I know Weapon Finesse is bonus regardless but does Alertness and Stealthy fill the Level 1 and Level 3 feat slots?

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 05:43 PM
Alright, yeah, I know Weapon Finesse is bonus regardless but does Alertness and Stealthy fill the Level 1 and Level 3 feat slots?

No, you are reading that wrong. You only get bonus feats from monster. You instead get level based feats from the HD boost.

Look at template:
•Racial Feats: Add the animal’s Hit Dice to the base character’s own Hit Dice to determine how many feats the character has.

You don't get any feats besides bonus feats and HD feats (and iron Will).

You choose both the HD feats (which would be 1 from gaining 3 HD).

You don't need to be told you always choose your 1st level feat I assume.

What was the issue? No, you don't get Alertness or Stealthy as feat. Unless you want to have them as your feats.

Urpriest
2010-09-19, 05:47 PM
What was the issue? No, you don't get Alertness or Stealthy as feat. Unless you want to have them as your feats.

The issue is that the template says that the monster's feats fill up the newly gained feat slots. Nonetheless, I agree with the above: the template's suggestions are for DMs. For a player, you choose your feats.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 05:54 PM
The issue is that the template says that the monster's feats fill up the newly gained feat slots. Nonetheless, I agree with the above: the template's suggestions are for DMs. For a player, you choose your feats.

Oh this section:
Add the base animal’s feats to the base creature’s. .... This process may give the lycanthrope more feats than a character of its total Hit Dice would normally be entitled to; if this occurs, any "extra" feats are denoted as bonus feats.

So he has 1st level feat + Stealthy + Alertness + Weapon Finesse + Iron Will?

Urpriest
2010-09-19, 05:57 PM
Oh this section:
Add the base animal’s feats to the base creature’s. .... This process may give the lycanthrope more feats than a character of its total Hit Dice would normally be entitled to; if this occurs, any "extra" feats are denoted as bonus feats.

That's what that section looks like it implies. But since the "as characters" section is different, I'd argue that the above is the rule for NPCs, and PCs can choose their feats and only get bonus feats if the base creature gets them (plus Iron Will).

Flickerdart
2010-09-19, 06:39 PM
Oh this section:

No, he wouldn't get his first level feat, because one of the four occupies that slot.

However, as a PC, that section doesn't apply.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-19, 08:58 PM
The intention is that a typical werecreature will be able to do anything the base creature will do. However, DMs play typical creatures; players play exceptional creatures.

Cieyrin
2010-09-20, 02:34 PM
That's what that section looks like it implies. But since the "as characters" section is different, I'd argue that the above is the rule for NPCs, and PCs can choose their feats and only get bonus feats if the base creature gets them (plus Iron Will).

Alright, that's what I was looking for. Good to know I'm not going crazy and that's the interpretation I was thinking was the correct one. Excellent.

Or, at least that any mental instability isn't futzing up my understanding of game mechanics.