PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]/E6 Which is of greater benefit?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 05:44 PM
I'm playing in a Pathfinder E6 one shot, at sixth level, and I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I'm playing an Ascetic Mage, which for the purpose of this game advances AC bonus, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Damage, and Fast Movement.

My conundrum is this: is Evasion and a Bonus Feat worth more than an extra second level spell per day, and two more second level spells known (one of which is Invisibility, as I'm taking the Arcane Bloodline)?

The character is:

Human Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer/Monk

STR: 18
DEX: 18 (17 rolled, +1 at fourth level)
CON: 16
INT: 18
WIS: 12
CHA: 20 (18 rolled, +2 Human)

Feats: Combat Expertise (Level 1), Combat Reflexes (Monk Bonus Feat), Improved Trip (Human Bonus Feat, works as 3.5), Knock-Down (Flaw), Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike (Flaw), Arcane Strike (Level 3), Ascetic Mage (Level 5)

Trait: Quick
Flaws: I haven't picked them, what would you recommend?

Also, for my Familiar, I'll be taking a Raven, unless you can think of something better to trade it for?

Edit: Oh yeah, and standard WBL applies, and I could use some help with what to buy.

Edit II: Fixed Feats.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 05:56 PM
So you are deciding between Sorceror 4/Monk 2
or Sorceror 5/Monk 1?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 06:00 PM
So you are deciding between Sorceror 4/Monk 2
or Sorceror 5/Monk 1?

Precisely. My CL and effective Monk level will be six either way.

Captain Six
2010-09-19, 06:07 PM
In e6 you'll always have more bonus feats and there is a Ring of Evasion. With the spells, not so much.

UserClone
2010-09-19, 06:37 PM
Right, but it's a one-shot, so I think he's implying that there will be no character advancement.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 07:45 PM
Indeed, but if I can buy a ring of evasion for less than half my wealth, then it's decided. How much/where is it?

senrath
2010-09-19, 07:58 PM
Costs 25,000gp normally. I'm not sure if any of the e6 rules would increase that cost, or not.

Found here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/magic-items/rings#TOC-Ring-of-Evasion)

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 08:44 PM
Thank you, that's outside my WBL though, so I guess the question still stands - are two more level two spells (one of which is Invisibility) worth more than evasion and a bonus feat?

mucat
2010-09-19, 09:14 PM
I would take the additional sorcerer level. That invisibility spell, and an extra spellslot to cast it with, are at least as likely to save your life as Evasion. And for days when your life doesn't need saving, the spell slot gives you more versatility, and the extra caster level more power.

Besides, the big threat to a mage's life from reflex saves comes when you miss them, not when you make them and still take half damage. So Evasion fails to help in the cases where you need it most.

(A rogue would get more use from Evasion, because she misses fewer reflex saves, and is likely to be in the thick of combat where partial damage from a successful save could add up with a few sword blows and put her in big trouble.)

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 09:24 PM
I would take the additional sorcerer level. That invisibility spell, and an extra spellslot to cast it with, are at least as likely to save your life as Evasion. And for days when your life doesn't need saving, the spell slot gives you more versatility, and the extra caster level more power.

Besides, the big threat to a mage's life from reflex saves comes when you miss them, not when you make them and still take half damage. So Evasion fails to help in the cases where you need it most.

(A rogue would get more use from Evasion, because she misses fewer reflex saves, and is likely to be in the thick of combat where partial damage from a successful save could add up with a few sword blows and put her in big trouble.)

Well, this character is going to be something of a gish (Hence the Improved Trip + Knock Down Combo) so I'll be in combat a lot. And my CL is the same either way. But I do agree that Invisibility would be highly useful, and so would the extra slot (bringing me from two second level spells per day to three*), and I don't know how many reflex saves I'm going to have to make. Hmmm, I think I'm leaning towards Monk 1/Sorc 5...

*Edit: Actually, it would bring me from four second level spells per day to five.

UserClone
2010-09-19, 10:28 PM
Yeah, you should cram as much Sorc in there as possible, and be a Kobold if your DM allows the Web Enhancement Greater Rite of Draconic Passage.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 10:52 PM
I'm human for the bonus feat and the bonus spells known (via Pathfinder's alternate favored class bonus) and I don't think cheesewrought desert kobold is what I'm looking for, thanks.

UserClone
2010-09-19, 11:19 PM
Whoa, there friend, desert and dragonwrought are two words I never mentioned.

Bringing the Sorcerer almost up to par with the Wizard is hardly cheese of the highest variety...

Where is the Human=bonus spells known variant?

Also, don't forget to take Versatile Spellcaster, to increase the number of your higer level spellslots at the cost of your lower ones. Now even cantrips can contribute!:smallcool:

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-19, 11:38 PM
The Human bonus spells come from the Advanced Player's Guide. And I don't think I can fit Versatile Spellcaster into this character. Remember, this is a one shot and we won't be advancing the characters. I'm satisfied with my feats as selected, I guess my question is just more spells, or evasion?

UserClone
2010-09-20, 12:00 AM
Definitely the 5th level of Sorcerer, IMO.

Dr Gunsforhands
2010-09-20, 03:56 AM
Evasion is better than anything.

Pretend it's a spell that allows you to dodge reflex spells completely on a made save, only you can cast it at will as an immediate action. E6 is just the right level for dragonish things to be throwing breath weapons at you. Plus, that second level of monk not only comes with a bonus feat but good saves and +1 BA.

I like invisibility as much as the next guy, but unless you can regularly cast it on your whole party, you always run into that 'everyone's invisible except the clanky guy in fullplate' problem. If you're really worried about launching spells, get yourself a wand of scorching ray or invisibility.

UserClone
2010-09-20, 05:06 AM
To whit, Evasion is an awesome ability, IF you will routinely be successfully saving. So the question is how high you've pumped your Dex in order to save successfully more often. If you have a really high Dex, it can be worth it. Admittedly, the +1 to all saves at Monk 2 does help there...

Greenish
2010-09-20, 05:59 AM
Plus, that second level of monk not only comes with a bonus feat but good saves and +1 BA.Well, monk2/sorc4 and monk1/sorc5 both end up with 3 BAB at level 6, using fractional BAB.

true_shinken
2010-09-20, 08:51 AM
I'd go with Monk 2/Sorcerer 4 if it's a one-shot.