PDA

View Full Version : Any good Beguiler Prc's?

TechnOkami
2010-09-19, 07:49 PM
I'm looking to making a beguiler, and want to know what classes would work well with the class. Play on little giants, play on.

GoatBoy
2010-09-19, 07:52 PM
Not so much since the class has more to offer aside from its spell list.

A 1 level dip in Mindbender (CArc) for at-will telepathy (and then mindsense from Lords of Madness, pg. 126) is good, especially for pushing your advanced learning up a level.

Aside from that, you'll probably be better off sticking with the base class.

TechnOkami
2010-09-19, 07:53 PM
That simplifies things XD

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-19, 07:55 PM
Not unless you want to go for potentially game-breaking or nerf-batting (depending on your interpretation of the text vs table debate) of Rainbow Servant

Urpriest
2010-09-19, 07:58 PM
They're also good for Ultimate Magus builds, but in that case you're not really playing a Beguiler, just a Wizard with some extra illusions, so that's probably not what you're looking for.

TechnOkami
2010-09-19, 08:00 PM
1. What's this potentially game breaking build I hear? (ah the power of cheese...)

2. I was thinking something more along the lines of a sneaky spell slinger, which is (to my interpretation) what a Beguiler generally is.

P.S. I want to make a changeling and have her either be a beguiler or a dread necromancer, and beguiler is currently winning as per the sneaky factor.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-19, 08:03 PM
The Beguiler Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872218/-_The_New_Beguiler_Handbook_-_2008) lists:

Shadow Adept
Mindmender (1 level dip)
Visionary Seeker (1 level dip)
Shadowcraft Mage

Starbuck_II
2010-09-19, 08:04 PM
Sandshaper adds 20 or more spells that useful. Since Beguilers have a set list of known adding to is useful. Sandshaper is found in Sandstorm book.

Fiend-Blooded adds a few fire, Enchantment, Necromancy, or Illusion spells from Wizard/Sorceror list not on Beguiler list. (Heroes of Horror book)

GoatBoy
2010-09-19, 08:05 PM
I will just refer you to the New Beguiler's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322.0) which can probably answer every question you have.

Best of luck. The Beguiler is probably my favourite base class. :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2010-09-19, 08:06 PM
1. What's this potentially game breaking build I hear? (ah the power of cheese...)

2. I was thinking something more along the lines of a sneaky spell slinger, which is (to my interpretation) what a Beguiler generally is.

P.S. I want to make a changeling and have her either be a beguiler or a dread necromancer, and beguiler is currently winning as per the sneaky factor.

Rainbow Servant is a prestige class that gives either partial casting (I think 6/10) or full casting, depending on whether you read the table or the text. Since text normally wins out, and later translations of the book have full casting on both the table and text, most people argue that it's full casting. It is controversial though, since the example character is generated with partial casting, and the class is listed as a partial casting one on the table in the beginning of the chapter.

The benefit of the class, if it is full-casting, is that tenth level in it grants you the access to all cleric spells. For a wizard or a sorceror, this means you can go out and learn these spells, which is cool. For a beguiler/dread necromancer/warmage, this instead means you have automatic spontaneous access to all cleric spells, since you have automatic spontaneous access to your entire spell list. Which is pretty damn awesome, even if it is a high level trick.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-19, 08:36 PM
For Changeling, you want to start off 1st level as Rogue. You get the following with sub level:

* 10 skill points. This is then multiplied by 4 for being your first level.
* Take 10 on all social skills.

Then take Able Learner to keep all those skills as class skills.

Then go into either Beguiler or Dread Necro.

Thurbane
2010-09-19, 09:13 PM
You could also dip Rogue 1 or Spellthief 1, and then into Unseen Seer to increase sneak attack, but probably overall weaker than Beguiler 20 or Beguiler 19/Minbender 1...

...also, if you dip Binder 1 (or take two binding feats), you could take Anima Mage to get 10 levels of sould binding and 10 levels of arcane casting. Add a little versatility to the Beguiler, but again, not optimal.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-19, 09:31 PM
For changeling beguilers, Recaster's a decent option. It loses a CL, but you get the Recaster's far far superior Expanded Knowledge over the Beguiler's version.

TechnOkami
2010-09-19, 09:35 PM
Rainbow Servant is a prestige class that gives either partial casting (I think 6/10) or full casting, depending on whether you read the table or the text. Since text normally wins out, and later translations of the book have full casting on both the table and text, most people argue that it's full casting. It is controversial though, since the example character is generated with partial casting, and the class is listed as a partial casting one on the table in the beginning of the chapter.

The benefit of the class, if it is full-casting, is that tenth level in it grants you the access to all cleric spells. For a wizard or a sorceror, this means you can go out and learn these spells, which is cool. For a beguiler/dread necromancer/warmage, this instead means you have automatic spontaneous access to all cleric spells, since you have automatic spontaneous access to your entire spell list. Which is pretty damn awesome, even if it is a high level trick.

...can you deliberate on that a little more?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-19, 09:50 PM
...can you deliberate on that a little more?

I am not sure what are you refering to, but I will take my chances.

As a capstone, Rainbow Servant adds all the cleric list to your spell list, wizards and sorcerer have a limited number of spells they can select from the spell list as spell known; but list casters (Dread Necromancer, Warmage & Beguiler) automatically know all their spell list therefore with the capstone of Rainbow Servant you know the entire cleric list (plus a few spells from some domains you gain)

The problem lies that the table of the prestige class shows a casting advancement of less than 10/10 while the text says it advances casting at all levels, AFAIK by RAW you must follow the text even when the table is different.

Clearer now?

TechnOkami
2010-09-19, 09:54 PM
Yes, much clearer. >:D Now I want to know what builds there are for the Rainbow Savant, Beguiler, and Dread Necro, if any.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-19, 09:57 PM
Rainbow Servant Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5213.0;wap2)

Be my guest, the earlies entry in the handbook is at level 2, yes at level 2. Be careful with the DMG that will surely be thrown at you.

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 07:39 PM
Would a Dread Necromancer Beguiler be worth it?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-20, 07:41 PM

In a word: No.

You loose too many cool abilities plus too much cool casting. In attempting to play both, you end up with neither.

lsfreak
2010-09-20, 07:48 PM
You should also never use Rainbow Servant unless it's specifically a high-op game. It takes one of the most broken classes in the game (cleric) and makes it broken-er (completely spontaneous casting of the entire list), and you get some of the best non-broken wizard spells on top of it.

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 08:41 PM
mmk, so it boils down to if I want to be come: a Beguiler, a Dread Necromancer, or a Warlock.

- - I really hate these decisions. T_T

Oh, speaking of which, is the walker in the wastes PrC any good/worth it?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 08:49 PM
mmk, so it boils down to if I want to be come: a Beguiler, a Dread Necromancer, or a Warlock.

- - I really hate these decisions. T_T

Oh, speaking of which, is the walker in the wastes PrC any good/worth it?

If you can't decide between Beguiler, dread necro or warlock I suggest going Dread Necro 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Theurge 10 (found in complete mage)

Walker in the Waste is a good prestige class for Dread necros if they can quallify (I recall using Arcane Disciple for thirst domain) since they get a better template (dry lich is much better than vanilla lich) and I think they can get the undead-ness some levels before.

Thurbane
2010-09-20, 09:02 PM
Only in gestalt.

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 09:02 PM
If you can't decide between Beguiler, dread necro or warlock I suggest going Dread Necro 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Theurge 10 (found in complete mage)

Walker in the Waste is a good prestige class for Dread necros if they can quallify (I recall using Arcane Disciple for thirst domain) since they get a better template (dry lich is much better than vanilla lich) and I think they can get the undead-ness some levels before.

So I'd be a super lich... >:D

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 09:04 PM
So I'd be a super lich... >:D

IIRC youhave 4 philacteries... Cha mod to HP and all around better modifiers. so yeah superlich.... I think there was a special vulnerability towards water but I am not sure

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 09:15 PM
yes actually. normal water = holy water to dry liches.... I don't want to think of what normal holy water would do to me :smalleek:

And wouldn't I need to dip a level into cleric or something to get the thirst/sand domain req?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 09:46 PM
yes actually. normal water = holy water to dry liches.... I don't want to think of what normal holy water would do to me :smalleek:

And wouldn't I need to dip a level into cleric or something to get the thirst/sand domain req?

Arcane Disciple takes care of that since the pre-req is be able to cast spells from the domains, and AD puts the domain spell on your spell list (which you automatically know)

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 09:52 PM
thanks. Which book has arcane disciple?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 09:54 PM
thanks. Which book has arcane disciple?

Complete Divine or Champion I am not sure

TechnOkami
2010-09-20, 09:57 PM
kk, thanks

JaronK
2010-09-21, 12:02 AM
Mindbender 1/Shadowcraft Mage 5 is the usual super awesome PrC combo for Beguilers. It's absolutely insane what you get for that.

JaronK