PDA

View Full Version : How Many Computer Threads Does This Make?

FirebirdFlying
2010-09-19, 10:44 PM
Hi.

So…my computer's beeping at me.

(More so than usual).

It's a Macbook Pro (yeah, yeah, I'm not tech savvy). It's been slowly failing - hard drive went, logic board went. Got them replaced.

Recently installed Cisco Clean Access software in order to access my school's network.

I first noticed the beeping maybe a week ago at most (around the time I installed the software, although quitting it doesn't make the beeping stop). It's the sort of beep that tends to occur either when you click on an option that can't be clicked or when the computer's finished a task (high then low), and the volume varies when I change the volume as a normal sound would. Nothing else weird is going on.

I've been noting the times it happens this afternoon; there was one stretch when it went off at perfect 32-minute intervals, then it didn't beep for a while, then it suddenly did the beep three or four times. I quit the Cisco software then, and it stopped beeping, but beeped again 10 minutes later. It hasn't beeped since.

TL;DR - Macbook Pro, OS 10.5.8. Intermittent beeping, high-low. Help please?

Thanks!

valadil
2010-09-20, 10:33 AM
I quit the Cisco software then, and it stopped beeping, but beeped again 10 minutes later. It hasn't beeped since.

No need to apologize, an MBP is a perfectly reasonable computer.

I'm not familiar with the Cisco software in question. Have you checked the manual? Maybe those beeps mean something. I don't know why it would beep instead of popping up a dialog window, but it could be something like losing its connection to the network and attempting to reconnect.

Knaight
2010-09-20, 09:42 PM
Has it been operating on battery for an extended period?