PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 4-armed

Rezby
2010-09-20, 09:10 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get 4 arms in D&D 3.5e is to play a Thri-Keen, but I'm kinda not so keen on playing a MANTIS MAN! So I'm asking, are there any other races with more than 2 arms in 3.5e? Homebrew or actual Wizards of the Coast material welcome.

Flickerdart
2010-09-20, 09:12 AM
Arrow Demons have four arms. The Insectile template gives 6 arms. The Girallon Claws soulmeld gives two extra arms.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-20, 09:12 AM
Hmm... Marilith? :x tough deal with all that racial hd and adjustment.
There's likely a template somewhere, and there'll always be MAGIC! Girallon Arms and Girallon Blessing are good examples.

Rezby
2010-09-20, 09:13 AM
What book(s) are those from?

hamishspence
2010-09-20, 09:13 AM
Dragon Compendium has the Diopsid. Which is more beetle-man than mantis-man.

Insectile is in Savage Species- but doesn't grant useable arms.
Arrow Demon is in MM3.
Girallon Claws soulmeld is in Magic of Incarnum.
There's a spell in Spell Compendium that grants extra claw attacks- possibly also called Girallon something.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-20, 09:21 AM
Mutant Sahuagin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sahuagin.htm) are LA +3.

Morph Bark
2010-09-20, 09:24 AM
The Insectile template gives 6 arms. The Girallon Claws soulmeld gives two extra arms.

Hmm... Marilith? :x tough deal with all that racial hd and adjustment.
There's likely a template somewhere, and there'll always be MAGIC! Girallon Arms and Girallon Blessing are good examples.

Combine for added hilarity.

hamishspence
2010-09-20, 09:26 AM
If you're a diviner as well, you can say:

"Four-warned is four-armed!" :smallamused:

Rezby
2010-09-20, 09:32 AM
Girallen Claws only grants +2 on grapple/climbing with 2 ghostly arms.

Girallen's Blessing:
GIRALLON’S BLESSING
Transmutation
Level: Cleric 3, druid 3, sorcerer/
wizard 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The touched subject appears to be in discom-
fort for an instant before arms erupt from
its torso with a damp squelch.
You give the subject an additional
pair of arms. Each of its arms—new
and old—ends in a clawed hand with
fingers and an opposable thumb. The
creature’s original arms (if any) are
its primary arms, and new limbs are
secondary limbs (if the subject had no
arms, the arms created by the spell are
its primary arms).
The creature gains four claw attacks,
each using its base attack bonus +
its Str modifier for attack rolls. Each
claw deals 1d4 points of damage + the
subject’s Str modifier, and if an oppo-
nent is struck by two or more claws in
1 round, the subject can rend it for an
additional 2d4 points of damage + 1-1/2
times its Str modifier.
A creature cannot use normal weap-
ons and the claw attacks in the same
round, and the subject does not gain
additional claw attacks from a high base
attack bonus.
Material Component: A few strands of
girallon hair. So a magic item of Permanent Girallon's Blessing might work, but that would be hella expensive.

M-Bark, you win forever with an Insectile Marilith with an item of permanant Girallon's Blessing with another item of Girallon's Claw [Cuz that'll just look cool].

Snake-Aes
2010-09-20, 09:37 AM
M-Bark, you win forever with an Insectile Marilith with an item of permanant Girallon's Blessing with another item of Girallon's Claw [Cuz that'll just look cool].

Then she casts the other spell that makes all those arms become only one pair of arms, but bringing in an obscene +str bonus.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-20, 09:40 AM
DMG 2 has a template in "unique characters" that adds two arms.

Morph Bark
2010-09-20, 09:41 AM
Then she casts the other spell that makes all those arms become only one pair of arms, but bringing in an obscene +str bonus.

After taking Warhulk all the way as Gestalt levels or after being energy drained down to the lowest level they could still enter Warhulk at.

Better yet, do that while she still has 10 pairs of arms, get a level of Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian and one of Frenzied Berzerker and have them go to town. Seriously, have it go to a town. :smallbiggrin:

You're most welcome for that. Thanks. :smallwink:

EDIT:

DMG 2 has a template in "unique characters" that adds two arms.

...12 arms? Man, wonder what the limit will be... :smallamused:

Yes, that is a challenge!

Snake-Aes
2010-09-20, 09:44 AM
After taking Warhulk all the way as Gestalt levels or after being energy drained down to the lowest level they could still enter Warhulk at.

Better yet, do that while she still has 10 pairs of arms, get a level of Whirling Frenzy Lion Totem Barbarian and one of Frenzied Berzerker and have them go to town. Seriously, have it go to a town. :smallbiggrin:

Hecantocheire-lite. Now I want to cast the arm fusion spell on one.

big teej
2010-09-20, 10:36 AM
homebrew goro...
from mortal kombat

I can't remember the name of his race.

but I'm thinking like + 4 - 8 str - 6 dex, +2 con, -2 charisma

or something similar

Person_Man
2010-09-20, 01:43 PM
List of Ways to Get Extra Attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595).

Theres several different ways to get extra arms. The most strait forward are Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3) and Fang of Lloth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20011207). If you're willing to settle for 3 arms it's actually quite simple - just get any tail attack (such as a Kobold with 1 feat from Races of the Dragon) and take the Prehensile Tail feat (Serpent Kingdoms).

HunterOfJello
2010-09-20, 01:53 PM
Savage Species has a multi-armed template. I think it's a LA +2.

DanReiv
2010-09-20, 02:04 PM
Can't use them as secondary attacks, which is bad.

It's in DMGII as Fax said earlier. Specifically under Aberrant Limbs (either 2 extra arms or legs, can carry weapon and be used as secondary attacks, +2 LA)

There's multiheaded in SS tho, fun with lots of secondary attacks (bite, arms, tentacles, tail and whatnot) since it gives Superior Multiweapon Fighting/Superior Multiattack (like a marilith, full bonus on secondary).

But since it adds 2 Racial HD you've got to find a good base creature (dragon/outsider type - more kobold cheese :smalltongue: ), will hurt the build a lot otherwise.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-20, 02:06 PM
It's in DMGII as Fax said earlier. Specifically under Aberrant Limbs (either 2 extra arms or legs, +2 LA)

If you read the text for it too, it specifically states that these particular LA values are overvalued to make them unattractive to players so that not everyone uses them. You could probably get away with +1.

hamishspence
2010-09-20, 02:07 PM
The problem with the Insectile template in Savage Species, is that while it grants extra arms, those arms aren't actually usable.

EDIT: Swordsaged.

DanReiv
2010-09-20, 02:15 PM
I dunno 'bout that. For +1 LA and 1 feat (multiweapon fighting) you would get 4 attacks with 1 handed weapons, or 2 with two-handed.

I'd say it depends of the base creature too.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-09-20, 02:20 PM
The Chitin race from Underdark have four arms naturally, but they come with some racial HD and LA, so they're probably one of the lest attractive options.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-20, 02:41 PM
For an alternative, there's the naga arms magic item in savage species. I don't know if it made it to MiC or not.

hamishspence
2010-09-20, 02:44 PM
As I recall, naga arms only grant you extra arm attacks if you don't already have arms.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-20, 02:46 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Dolgrim from the ECS are LA +2. Unfortunately, they're bizarre double-goblins.

Cieyrin
2010-09-20, 02:58 PM
You could also throw on Arms of Plenty (LoM) to get another set of arms as well. It's basically Girrallon's Blessing but not as good. Same level spell, IIRC, though.

Rezby
2010-09-20, 06:26 PM
What about magic rings? What if one made a continuous ring of Girallon's Blessing (45k gp)? It would grant two extra arms. Could you then put more of those rings on each arm, thereby granting a loop of ringed arms bound only by wealth (not a problem when your godfather is the god-king of the world) or does the 2 magic rings per person period rule still apply here?

Dr.Epic
2010-09-20, 06:31 PM
Arrow Demons have four arms. The Insectile template gives 6 arms. The Girallon Claws soulmeld gives two extra arms.

The template is a good choice. I did have an idea: what happens if you're turned to stone and somehow stone limbs are grafted onto your being? Would they function when you return to flesh?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-20, 06:34 PM
What about magic rings? What if one made a continuous ring of Girallon's Blessing (45k gp)? It would grant two extra arms. Could you then put more of those rings on each arm, thereby granting a loop of ringed arms bound only by wealth (not a problem when your godfather is the god-king of the world) or does the 2 magic rings per person period rule still apply here?

You don't get extra ring slots from having extra (or fewer) hands. An armless purple worm still technically has two ring slots.

As far as lolarms goes, you can get another two using up your waist slot with a Third Hand item (Magic of Eberron).

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-20, 06:54 PM
Girallen Claws only grants +2 on grapple/climbing with 2 ghostly arms.

Totem Bind it.

Keld Denar
2010-09-20, 07:38 PM
Anyone can optimize for arms...the question is...can you optimize for TENTACLES!!!!!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 08:17 PM
Anyone can optimize for arms...the question is...can you optimize for TENTACLES!!!!!
Psychic Warrior
Ilithid Grapple x 4, aberrant blood->deepspawn, I am sure there are some tentacle grafts in FF.... Form of doom?

Keld Denar
2010-09-20, 08:26 PM
Needs more 2 level Totemist dips for Displacer Mantle bound to Totem Chakra...

Andion Isurand
2010-09-20, 08:26 PM
Obah-Blessed template from Dungeon Magazine 136 is a fun one to look at.

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
multi-weapon fighting bonus feat
+2 LA

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
multi-weapon fighting bonus feat
+3 LA

However, it can't be applied to a creature that has more than 4 arms already.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-20, 08:37 PM
Needs more 2 level Totemist dips for Displacer Mantle bound to Totem Chakra...

it was just a start.... I am sure there are more ways to get tentacle attack.... half-illithid template on an anthropomorphic octupus totemist 2/psywar x?

Keld Denar
2010-09-20, 09:06 PM
Splash in a little Voidmind for another tentacle on your forehead...

Not to mention the Tentacle Whip symbiot.

Hmmm, if you take Imp Natural Weapon: Tentacle, do you have to specify? Or would it boost all of them?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-09-21, 01:26 AM
As I recall, naga arms only grant you extra arm attacks if you don't already have arms.

That's true, it doesn't add extra attacks, but the OP just wanted ways to get extra arms, AFAIK. Extra arms can wield extra weapons, but you're looking at a will save v an extra -2 to-hit.

Rezby
2010-09-21, 04:58 PM
I kinda just want to see how many legal arms I can get a single character to have, without resorting to homebrew. Other people's homebrew though, is more acceptable. Basically, as long as I can recreate each step in the process. money and levels are not a problem.

hamishspence
2010-09-22, 02:42 AM
. Extra arms can wield extra weapons, but you're looking at a will save v an extra -2 to-hit.

I checked the Savage Species book, and while it specifically mentions being able to wield both a two handed weapon and another nonweapon item (such as a shield) if you already have arms, it says nothing about being able to, say, use the item to qualify for Multiweapon Fighting, and thus wield more weapons than normal.