PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer

Eldan
2010-09-20, 05:15 PM
The Escapist has it here. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103636-Deus-Ex-Trailer-Promises-Secret-Global-Revolution) Looks pretty cool.

Actually, between the mind-hacking, the cloaking suits and the spider tanks, it reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell. If it actually has a good story and non-violent solutions along with all that gunplay, it should be pretty awesome.

Domochevsky
2010-09-20, 05:48 PM
Well, can't be worse than Deus Ex 2. :smalltongue:

(But yeah, looks quite a bit GitS-esque.)

Triaxx
2010-09-20, 06:27 PM
I totally hope for more Hong Kong and Paris and less Military Base and underwater section. Not that I didn't enjoy the underwater section. It's some of the best underwater combat I've played... ever. Plus being able to short cut by swimming out the sub bay doors and skipping a huge section is tons of fun. Glad I had the Aqualung.

king.com
2010-09-21, 11:47 PM
One thing im finding really wierd about Deus Ex HR is the technology seems to be surpassing the Deus Ex technology. Suppose this is a minor gripe but im finding it hard to directly connect when my brain keeps pointing to all these things which seem out of place.

Domochevsky
2010-09-22, 12:04 AM
Typical Star Wars/Trek syndrome, i'd say. >_>

Lord of the Helms
2010-09-22, 04:33 AM
One thing im finding really wierd about Deus Ex HR is the technology seems to be surpassing the Deus Ex technology. Suppose this is a minor gripe but im finding it hard to directly connect when my brain keeps pointing to all these things which seem out of place.

I put this down to willing suspension of disbelief and gaming technology having marched on - back when the first DX came out, they couldn't do a lot of really cool stuff, so most of the augs were basically boosts of various stats, with the recon drone and invisibility being the most impressive you could get, whereas now armblades and arms transforming into cannons are actually implementable in a worthwhile way. One thing that has pacified me a bit is that they are still miles away from the subtle Nano-Augs of Deus Ex and your character (and other enhanced ones) are old-fashiened "mechs" with artificial limbs and generally large, highly visible cybernetic modifications - the kind that will go obsolete once generation JC Denton rolls along.

The only thing in that video that looks a bit beyond the first Deus Ex is the robot, and that's probably mostly in looks (the big robots in Deus Ex were shooting plenty of rockets, too).

Triaxx
2010-09-22, 05:40 AM
Must have Hed-gun.

Dragonus45
2010-09-22, 07:23 AM
My theory is that this isn't really a prequel, it looks like one but half way through the game you find out that this is really a sequel by time travel into the past to make your prequel a sequel. Its the only way i know of they can top the plots of 1 and 2 for total off the wall conspiracy theory insanity.

Triaxx
2010-09-22, 07:53 AM
Unless of course you're sent back in time to stop JC from stopping them from killing Kennedy and causing the dystopia of Deus Ex one, only to find out he's already killed them and you have to play the back up team on the knoll.

Then the aliens arrive and things get weird.

Jahkaivah
2010-09-22, 07:58 AM
Typical Star Wars/Trek syndrome, i'd say. >_>

I put this down to willing suspension of disbelief and gaming technology having marched on - back when the first DX came out, they couldn't do a lot of really cool stuff, so most of the augs were basically boosts of various stats, with the recon drone and invisibility being the most impressive you could get, whereas now armblades and arms transforming into cannons are actually implementable in a worthwhile way. One thing that has pacified me a bit is that they are still miles away from the subtle Nano-Augs of Deus Ex and your character (and other enhanced ones) are old-fashiened "mechs" with artificial limbs and generally large, highly visible cybernetic modifications - the kind that will go obsolete once generation JC Denton rolls along.

The only thing in that video that looks a bit beyond the first Deus Ex is the robot, and that's probably mostly in looks (the big robots in Deus Ex were shooting plenty of rockets, too).

That might have been the reason, but it none the less worked in it's favour.

It's not so much having the technology as it is showing it off. Deus Ex 1 had technology advanced enough for AIs capable of not only human conversation but running the world. But the key thing was there were only a handful you didn't even come across one until a fair way into the game.

It's basically that key distinction between high and low sci-fi in the same way you have high and low fantasy. Deus Ex is low sci-fi, it's a universe that realised that just because you have the technology for this sort of stuff doesn't mean you have the funding to plaster it everywhere you go.

It wasn't just a question of not having the gaming tech to show off either, half they time they chose not to show off even when they could have. It gave the game a very down to earth feel, even Ion Storm admitted departing from that in Invisible War was a mistake.

Bit of willing suspension of disbelief here but the gameplay changes also makes me wonder how the hell they went about marketing Nano Augmentation:

Walton Simons: Interesting, what are it's main functionalities?

Jaime Reyes: Our main goal is making you not look like a freak.

Walton Simons: Hmm... and more... practical uses?

Jaime Reyes: Well, most of the original augmentations will be available.

Walton Simons: Most...? What about automatic medical regeneration? That was an important feature.

Jaime Reye: Uh yeah... there is an app for that... here's the documents...

Walton Simons: ...It seems to be much slower... what is bioelectricity?

Jaime Reye: It's the the finite power source of the augmentations.

Walton Simons: This thing has limited use?

Gunther Hermann: AND TO THINK WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT BEING MADE REDUNDANT.

I think that everyone was just saying JC's augmentations were state of the art and then laughed behind his back afterwards.

king.com
2010-09-22, 09:08 AM
The robot, the VTOL gunship thing. All seemed a little out of place when UNATCO could somehow afford state of the art nano-augments but the msot advanced flight system they had was a Apache helicopter.

Jahkaivah
2010-09-22, 09:31 AM
state of the art nano-augments.

Hehe :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-09-22, 11:22 AM
Well, they were all pretty useful, really.

And I'd guess mech augments didn't have infinite power either? Don't remember that ever being mentioned in the first game.

Triaxx
2010-09-22, 04:57 PM
That's the thing, despite Mech Augs being useful, most of those that had them had severe physical damage, such as a lost leg. Nano-Augs don't need that and aren't huge things that requires huge amounts of energy.

Unless you're trying to run Cloak and Radar Transparency at once, without the Power Recirculator.

Imposter
2010-09-22, 05:07 PM
I think the first game mentioned maintenance problems on the mech style, but I could be confusing it with something else. It would make sense though, wouldn't it? The mechanical augmentations look like there's a lot that could go wrong and all of it would be hard to fix. All JC has to worry about is the nanomagic going all gray goo on him.

Eldan
2010-09-22, 05:14 PM
Which sounds a whole lot harder to fix than something which basically requires a screwdriver and some oil.

Domochevsky
2010-09-22, 05:24 PM
It kinda fixes itself though, what with being part of the biosystem.

Triaxx
2010-09-22, 10:05 PM
And if it should happen to Gray Goo you, you don't care.

Imposter
2010-09-22, 10:48 PM
Which sounds a whole lot harder to fix than something which basically requires a screwdriver and some oil.

Well, yeah. It heals itself by leeching energy from him. If it actually does go gray goo, he's dead. If it doesn't, he regenerates whenever he wants to. And repairing delicate machinery that happens to be part of the arm that would be doing the repairing sounds hellish.

deuxhero
2010-09-22, 11:16 PM
Well, can't be worse than Deus Ex 2. :smalltongue:

Deus Ex 2? They made a sequel?

Don't recall that Invisible War game as having such an awful single color art direction...

Lord of the Helms
2010-09-23, 07:01 AM
The robot, the VTOL gunship thing. All seemed a little out of place when UNATCO could somehow afford state of the art nano-augments but the msot advanced flight system they had was a Apache helicopter.

If I remember correctly, the helicopter UNATCO had was supersonic and could fly all the way from New York to Hong Kong, which is a bit beyond what an Apache can do. No jet engines, sure, but a stealthy supersonic helicopter that can fly to almost any place on earth from a given location is pretty impressive.

Robot, as I said, merely looks fancier, but there's nothing saying it's actually more capable than the bots in the first Deus Ex.