PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good solo adventure?

TheMinxTail
2010-09-20, 05:33 PM
I typically run as DM for Pathfinder - it's usually so hard to get together a decent sized group that I can't even teach the basic gameplay to my more dimwitted counterparts. Anyway, I would like to take a shot at playing my own adventure, something without a DM. There may be a club around teh campus I just signed up for that could have other players, but in the meantime Something that combines maybe the old 'chose your own adventure' books and DnD rules would be optimal if such a thing exists. There's so many DnD products out by now, surely someone's made something to that effect, or at least that's how I figure it. If nothing else, stepping into the role of a player for an impromptu session or two might help me understand how to make the experience more fun as the group DM, you know?

Thanks for even reading.

*Jedi Mindtrick* Cronox is the fantasy novel you are looking for.

Janus
2010-09-20, 05:41 PM
I'm not aware of any choose-your-own-adventure type modules (except for a tiny one that came with my 3.5 starter kit), but there is this:
http://shiftkitty.angelfire.com/
It assumes D&D 4e, but you could probably apply the same ideas to Pathfinder. You just basically have to learn to separate your DM knowledge from your player knowledge.

TheMinxTail
2010-09-20, 06:01 PM
I'm not aware of any choose-your-own-adventure type modules (except for a tiny one that came with my 3.5 starter kit), but there is this:
http://shiftkitty.angelfire.com/
It assumes D&D 4e, but you could probably apply the same ideas to Pathfinder. You just basically have to learn to separate your DM knowledge from your player knowledge.

Seperating DM and Player knowledge sounds fine and dandy, but if I'm being honest with myself here, I'm a cheating bastard. When I want to just run through the motions of an adventure, I'll just write it up as a novel (last month, I actially managed to show COMPETENCY in my writing), which itself is pretty fun, but it's at times a great deal more stressful than a game would be - a fight scene between a martial artist wizard and his apprentices against what can only be described as a super ranger is very hard to describe in a coherent AND effective fashion. But thanks for the link, I'll see if I can put it to some use.

Part of it is I really want to give this character concept a run - a moderately insane Alchemist that requires a good deal of strategy and creativity to pull off, which I may or may not have. Maybe I could use him as a villain in my next campaign - my setting, my rules after all. Ever seen Doctor Insano from the Spoony Experiment - the epitomy of all mad scientists? Imagine that in a fantasy setting. That will have to make for an entertaining game if nothing else.

UserClone
2010-09-20, 06:30 PM
I would say your best bet would be a combination of the One-on-One line of PF advebtures by Expeditious Retreat Press and the Mythic GM emulator. Go nuts! :smallsmile:

TheMinxTail
2010-09-21, 02:00 AM
I would say your best bet would be a combination of the One-on-One line of PF advebtures by Expeditious Retreat Press and the Mythic GM emulator. Go nuts! :smallsmile:

GM Emulator? Well, I think I've actually seen One on One guide in my local (forty minute walk and train ride away) at my local game shop - hope they still have a copy. Thanks

UserClone
2010-09-21, 02:07 AM
Yep. XRP is the publisher.

And Mythic GM Emulator is a PDF found at rpgnow.com for $6.95.

TheMinxTail
2010-09-22, 06:40 AM
Yep. XRP is the publisher.

And Mythic GM Emulator is a PDF found at rpgnow.com for $6.95.

Cool, just bought it. Haven't tried it out yet, but I skimmed the Fate Chart section. Looks potential enough.

UserClone
2010-09-22, 09:30 AM
Let me know how you like it. I haven't gotten it yet, but I was thinking about just buying the whole Mythic RPG, which includes the emulator.

By the way, which adventure did you get? I have so far only run The Forbidden Hills, which was a success for the player.

TheMinxTail
2010-09-22, 09:49 AM
Let me know how you like it. I haven't gotten it yet, but I was thinking about just buying the whole Mythic RPG, which includes the emulator.

By the way, which adventure did you get? I have so far only run The Forbidden Hills, which was a success for the player.

I have teh first installment of the Pathfinder Campaign 'Council of Thieves', the Bastards of Erebus. I'm wondering if I should combine the emulator with the adventure and running through it that way.

So far, Mythic appears to be about matching a d100 roll with a series of vague tables and interpretting the results. It's pretty simple, but it just seems like a Dm-less game requires a bit more buance than what I've read of teh fifty or so pages so far. But hey, now I've got some time, I might as well try it out for real before I make any harsh judgements.

UserClone
2010-09-22, 09:58 AM
Hm, it should be interesting, balancing the needs & wants of an entire party in your head. That's the reason I'd suggested the one-on-one adventures - they're made for one PC.

TheMinxTail
2010-09-22, 10:12 AM
Hm, it should be interesting, balancing the needs & wants of an entire party in your head. That's the reason I'd suggested the one-on-one adventures - they're made for one PC.

I was thinking gestalt, a specific ability-spread for crowds, and toning down the enemy ranks in any given encounter so I could get through the adventure by myself. I actually have a really good, or at least interesting, system in mind fo running gestalt, which I'll post in the homebrew thread sometime, when my headache (not related to Mythic, I just had three straight hours of lectures).