PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Craft checks for combat basketweaving

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a way to boost my Craft checks as high as possible, preferably while still pre-epic. The ultimate goal here is to be able to weave a basket as a standard action without direct application of magic (an item that boosts my Craft checks is OK, simply casting a Creation spell is not). If you present a build, assume it to be ECL 20 with all WotC sources available and a starting INT of 18. I can get it to +40-50 no problem, but I'm having trouble beyond that. Any advice?

The-Mage-King
2010-09-20, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a way to boost my Craft checks as high as possible, preferably while still pre-epic. The ultimate goal here is to be able to weave a basket as a standard action without direct application of magic (an item that boosts my Craft checks is OK, simply casting a Creation spell is not). If you present a build, assume it to be ECL 20 with all WotC sources available and a starting INT of 18. I can get it to +40-50 no problem, but I'm having trouble beyond that. Any advice?

...If you inform me of just what you are going to do with the basket in combat, I'll help you.

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 05:59 PM
I intend to use the baskets as methods of battlefield control, with a backup use as an improvised weapon. These baskets would be built around the enemy in the space of a standard action. (And before I forget, we're superseding the normal Craft rule that says you normally can't make a check covering less than a day's work.)

Scow2
2010-09-20, 06:01 PM
Or rather, we have to find a way to supercede that rule!

Darrin
2010-09-20, 06:25 PM
Basket Weaver's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870302/The_Basket_Weavers_Handbook).

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 06:34 PM
Basket Weaver's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870302/The_Basket_Weavers_Handbook).

That might be more useful as the plan B. For the record, the necessary Craft mod/DC is 635. The problem is getting that high.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-20, 07:14 PM
There's always the Nanomachines approach (get tons of little creatures to make Aid Another checks, by summoning spells or Craft Construct). Hm... I think Exemplar gets an ability that lets you make a check with one skill to function for another skill, so you could boost something easily boostable (Jump, Diplomacy) and use that to craft baskets.

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 07:34 PM
No, they don't get that one, though a +4 bonus to a skill of my choice is nice.

El Dorado
2010-09-20, 09:21 PM
Leadership? For your army of weavers.

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 09:24 PM
Leadership? For your army of weavers.

Not practical. This is meant to be done by a single person. Besides, the followers would just get mowed down.

Ajadea
2010-09-20, 09:41 PM
What have you done to get +50 to your basketweaving checks? And for that matter, how do you know the DC is 635?

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 09:46 PM
What have you done to get +50 to your basketweaving checks? And for that matter, how do you know the DC is 635?

23 ranks, +10-12 INT mod, Skill Focus, tools, custom item +10... And the DC was extrapolated by taking the market price of a single basket, calculating how many rounds there were in a week, then taking the square root of that calculation to determine how high my productivity has to be when combined with the quick crafting rules to reduce the time for a single basket to said standard action. (For the purposes of this thread, we're ignoring the part of the RAW that says Craft checks can't take less than a day.)

The Rabbler
2010-09-20, 10:05 PM
there's always the item familiar to give you some extra boost. And let's not forget that you can create items that give different types of bonuses (sacred, profane, etc) but they cost a lot more. Artificer would be nice to have in the build.

but beyond that, you'd need the nanobots. nanobots = at least +200 to a check all day every day; though it requires 9 levels of exemplar to really make effective.

nargbop
2010-09-20, 10:10 PM
Not practical. This is meant to be done by a single person. Besides, the followers would just get mowed down.

Ahem. Jumplomancy. Except that it's Basketweavelomancy. Gain as many fanatical followers as you lose in mere moments.

El Dorado
2010-09-20, 10:14 PM
Synergy bonuses from Profession (basketweaver), Knowledge (basketweaving), and Use Rope.

mikethepoor
2010-09-20, 10:19 PM
there's always the item familiar to give you some extra boost. And let's not forget that you can create items that give different types of bonuses (sacred, profane, etc) but they cost a lot more. Artificer would be nice to have in the build.

but beyond that, you'd need the nanobots. nanobots = at least +200 to a check all day every day; though it requires 9 levels of exemplar to really make effective.

I forgot about those other bonuses, including those of different types. It sounds doable if I push it really hard, but we're running into the WBL cap.

Ahem. Jumplomancy. Except that it's Basketweavelomancy. Gain as many fanatical followers as you lose in mere moments.

That doesn't really help me at all, since it's turning my Craft check into a Diplomacy check.

Esser-Z
2010-09-20, 10:33 PM
Step 1: Take Leadership
Step 2: Buy a Bag (Basket) of Holding
Step 3: Get a decanter of air or similar item
Step 4: Fill bag with Experts trained in Basketweaving
Step 5: Aid Another
Step 6: ???
Step 7: PROFIT

El Dorado
2010-09-20, 10:35 PM
Basketweaving Prodigy (Treat Intelligence score as 2 higher for basketweaving checks), Skill Mastery (take 10 on Basketweaving checks even while threatened or distracted), Combat Weaving (+4 to basketweaving checks while on the defensive), Deft Hands (ask DM to trade the bonus from Sleight of Hand to basketweaving).

Need to flip through Tome of Battle and see if there are some maneuvers or stances that would help. . .

dspeyer
2010-09-20, 10:47 PM
Are you willing to do the work in a maximized time stop? That would lower the DC considerably.

The Rabbler
2010-09-20, 11:53 PM
I forgot about those other bonuses, including those of different types. It sounds doable if I push it really hard, but we're running into the WBL cap.

that's what artificer is for :smallwink:

and seriously, you should look into nanobots. as long as you're only using them to basketweave, you should be fine DM-wise. or take leadership, kill all of your random followers, have your cohort be an artificer/exemplar and have him make all of your nanobots/items for you.