PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 4th level sorcerer casting as 7th level: which spells to pick...

fortesama
2010-09-21, 04:44 AM
Looks like our DM dropped the spell restriction idea in exchange for making character generation a bit more unpredictable... and biased against spellcasters. End result, i got myself an ECL 5 kobold as a 4th level sorcerer, pumped up naturally by methods quite a few should know already to get to a virtual Sorcerer 7. DM allowed me to stack Fire-souled, loredrake and white dragonspawn even if the rules said otherwise.

Now, the only problem now is spells and gear. I'm working with a WBL of 6th level character.

My play style leans more towards support, battlefield control and versatility. We have:

A blaster sorcerer with a few divinations on the side. ECL 10. didn't buy out for some odd reason. he was a lucky guy to get high rolls even with the spellcaster bias.
some guy's black bear anthro with a homebrew class which overall feels even worse than a monk. at least it has shape metal as a standard action at will with a range of close. ECL 8.
err... cheetah anthro ranger? unkown ECL at the moment.

LA buyout allowed. i already bought out one of my LA.

Edit: These are my spells chosen for now. Template or no template, i've still got 7th level sorcerer casting. spells i'm thinking of:

3rd: Bands of Steel, Stinking Cloud
2nd: Wings of Cover, Scorching Ray, Glitterdust
1: Benign Transpositoin, Nerveskitter, Grease, Silent Image, Ray of Enfeeblement
0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mending, Prestidigitation, Arcane mark, Mage Hand, Open/Close.
Draconic Right of Passage: Charm Person

I know i'm spreading myself a little thin.

Tyger
2010-09-21, 08:56 AM
Looks like our DM dropped the spell restriction idea in exchange for making character generation a bit more unpredictable... and biased against spellcasters. End result, i got myself an ECL 5 kobold as a 4th level sorcerer, pumped up naturally by methods quite a few should know already to get to a virtual Sorcerer 7. DM allowed me to stack Fire-souled, loredrake and white dragonspawn even if the rules said otherwise.

Now, the only problem now is spells and gear. I'm working with a WBL of 6th level character.

My play style leans more towards support, battlefield control and versatility. We have:

A blaster sorcerer with a few divinations on the side. ECL 10. didn't buy out for some odd reason. he was a lucky guy to get high rolls even with the spellcaster bias.
some guy's black bear anthro with a homebrew class which overall feels even worse than a monk. at least it has shape metal as a standard action at will with a range of close. ECL 8.
err... cheetah anthro ranger? unkown ECL at the moment.

LA buyout allowed. i already bought out one of my LA.

Out of curiousity, and before I even attempt to answer your real questions here, how did you calculate that ECL? What is the kobold's actual Sorcerer level? Loredrake is LA 0, but Fire-Souled is 3 and White Dragonspawn (if I remember correctly) is 1. So a level 4 Sorcerer (which with the DS and LD bonuses would be Sorcerer 7) is actually an ECL 8 character. Not that that appears to be a problem, given the composition of your party, but the question remains.

Greenish
2010-09-21, 09:31 AM
Wait wait, you rolled for ECL? As an attempt to balance the game? :smallconfused:

fortesama
2010-09-21, 07:47 PM
Out of curiousity, and before I even attempt to answer your real questions here, how did you calculate that ECL? What is the kobold's actual Sorcerer level? Loredrake is LA 0, but Fire-Souled is 3 and White Dragonspawn (if I remember correctly) is 1. So a level 4 Sorcerer (which with the DS and LD bonuses would be Sorcerer 7) is actually an ECL 8 character. Not that that appears to be a problem, given the composition of your party, but the question remains.

Fire souled is LA+3? My DM who shown it to me says it's a +1

Wait wait, you rolled for ECL? As an attempt to balance the game? :smallconfused:

Errr... more like rolling how many class levels you start with. Characters with higher ECL and non-spellcasters get to use bigger dice and vice versa with WBL to match. full casters get d4, pseudocasters such as pally get d6, non-casters except truenamer, samurai and monk get d10, those three get 2d6.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-21, 07:50 PM
There is a mistake in the crystalkeep listing, it is CR+1 and LA +3

fortesama
2010-09-21, 07:54 PM
Source please. i'f it's really like that, maybe i'll take it off unless my dm will let me keep the LA he gave me... or i'll just keep quiet about it :smallbiggrin:

seriously though, cheating, even inadvertently kinda hurts

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-21, 08:00 PM
dragon 314 according to crystal keep

fortesama
2010-09-21, 08:42 PM
found one beside some mushrooms in my book bag... i wonder if they're edible.

yes, sadly it's a +3 so out the window my template goes.