PDA

View Full Version : A Duel of Spells! Known...

Wings of Peace
2010-09-21, 04:47 AM
Recently during a conversation with a friend we came to a disagreement about just how many different spells a character could know without resorting to extreme abuse of things such as the Hexer.

Rather than figure the answer out analytically the conversation resolved with my friend and I challenging each other to a duel not of spells, but of spells known. All sources are available excluding Dragon Magazine and spell casting has been limited to merely the arcane and divine arts.

To this end I would appreciate the playground's help critiquing my build. It centers around the fact that while the Chameleon prestige class cannot be used to qualify for things through it's spell casting, things can still be applied to the spellcasting of the Chameleon. It is based off of a multi-threat build I once saw on the old WoTC forums.

This particular build assumes 30pt buy with a 10 in Charisma, a 13 in Constitution and Wisdom, and an 18 in intelligence with all subsequent points gained through leveling invested into intelligence.

The build is as follows:

Race: Human

Flaws: 2

(1) Cleric 1: Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, Academic Priest, Able Learner
(2) Cleric 2:
(3) Cleric 3: Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell
(4) Cleric 4:
(5) Factotum 1:
(6) Chameleon 1: Extra Turning I
(7) Chameleon 2: [B]Extra Turning II
(8) Chameleon 3:
(9) Chameleon 4: Extra Slot (9)
(10) Chameleon 5:
(11) Chameleon 6:
(12) Chameleon 7: Extra Slot (8)
(13) Chameleon 8:
(14) Chameleon 9:
(15) Chameleon 10: Extra Slot (7)
(16) Factotum 5:
(17) Factotum 6:
(18) Factotum 7: X
(19) Factotum 8:
(20) Factotum 9:

Spells Known

We are maintaining the Arcane and Divine aptitude foci at all times. This means that we can prepare ANY arcane spell and ANY divine spell.

Spell Casting Explanation

Our Chameleon is able to turn undead enough times per day to DMM:Heighten a spell to 9th level. Since the ability to turn undead is coming from the Cleric portion of the build we are able to increase our turning attempts per day to the number needed through the Extra Turning feat.

After this the character then applies Earth Spell to his spell making it a 10th level spell. This allows the Chameleon to cast 10th level Cleric or Chameleon spells. Since the Chameleon is also a 4th level Cleric he qualifies for Extra slot. Extra slot however, does not specify where we have to apply the feat, so instead of applying it to our Cleric casting we will apply it to our Chameleon casting.

We are also applying Academic Priest to our Chameleon casting. Since no spellcasting is required to take Academic Priest we are not violating the rule about Chameleon's qualifying for things.

Heliomance
2010-09-21, 04:53 AM
Warmage 5/Rainbow Servant 10.
Spontcast off the entire Cleric list.

JeminiZero
2010-09-21, 04:56 AM
Does count as extreme abuse:

Chameleon 2 comes with a feat that can be swapped each day, letting you take Extra Spell Known for 1 particular spell. However, Extra Spell Known is limited to 1 level below the highest you can cast, so you need Versatile/Heighten or Heighten/Earth Spell or Sanctum to fake level 10 spells to qualify Extra Spell Known for level 9 spell.

Now to make it really cheesy, use 18 Archivist/2 Chameleon. As an Archivist, you can write divine scrolls of your extra known spell. The next day you swap out extra known spell for something else. Since you can learn ANY divine spell, you can then copy the divine scroll you scribed previously into your prayer book, permanently adding it to your reportaire.

Heliomance
2010-09-21, 05:09 AM
Actually, would Archivist/Geomancer work? Geomancer lets you cast arcane spells as divine, and Archivist then lets you learn them.

The other high-cheese option, of course, is Beholder Mage/Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge.

dextercorvia
2010-09-21, 07:40 AM
You have a text vs. table discrepancy. Fortunately the text is correct. You mean to say Extra Slot on the level table.

You could replace Earth Sense and Earth Spell with Sanctum Spell and Alacritous Cogitation (Uncanny Forethought if you can find room for Spell Mastery). That way you could spontaneously cast any spell in the game (once or Int mod times per day, but still).

Wings of Peace
2010-09-21, 09:59 AM
You have a text vs. table discrepancy. Fortunately the text is correct. You mean to say Extra Slot on the level table.

You could replace Earth Sense and Earth Spell with Sanctum Spell and Alacritous Cogitation (Uncanny Forethought if you can find room for Spell Mastery). That way you could spontaneously cast any spell in the game (once or Int mod times per day, but still).

Fixed that, thank you. Sanctum spell is definitely less feat heavy, I'll update the build when I'm not AFB.

dextercorvia
2010-09-21, 02:42 PM
Since you can prepare spells in higher level slots, you don't have to take the 8th or 7th level slots, you can take extra 9th level slots for more options, or a different feat entirely.

Wings of Peace
2010-09-21, 11:48 PM
Edited the build to now run off of Sanctum Spell instead of Earth Spell.

Since you can prepare spells in higher level slots, you don't have to take the 8th or 7th level slots, you can take extra 9th level slots for more options, or a different feat entirely.

I think we get more total slots this way on account of high int will grant us bonus 7s, 8s, and 9s.