PDA

View Full Version : Gold-ass and artifact die - help with creating magical items/creatures

Karuth
2010-09-21, 07:11 AM
As a GM I love to create new artifacts/magical items and creatures for a plot or an adventure. But in doing so I sometimes give the players something too powerful. Thus I would like to ask you to review these ideas and tell me if I overlooked any obvious (and not so obvious) (ab)uses of the creature and items presented.

The gold-ass:The gold-ass:
In the planned plot the heroes would meet an elderly man who asks them to get his donkey back, which was stolen. The heroes should have no big problems finding the thieves and getting it back from them. But as they return the donkey they hear a metallic sound as if coins are dropping and they will find out that the donkey litterally craps gold coins (like in Grim's Fairy tale).
But that is only the start of their problems as numerous people are of course interest in this animal. Hilarity and lots of fightig over the creature should provide for a fun evening. And in the end the big question... return it for a measly reward or keep it for a little extra cash?

The donkey has the standard stats for a mule.
If the owner knows the magic word and whispers it in the donkey's ear the animal can produce up to a 1000 GP per day.
Since nobody knows the magic word however, the gold-ass hasn't produced any gold for years, which built up inside it. Thus per day he produces 10 GP which is just the overflow.
It can regenerate and heal by eating gold. 1 GP = 1 HP. Covering the dead body with 1000 GP resurrects it (consuming the gold).
(It must have a very interesting metabolism ^^)

From the gaming perspective:
10 GP per day, equals 3600 GP per year. It is a nice sum, but considering our heros will much likely be level 10+ within a year, the money the donkey produces should be small enough to not imbalance things. And even if they do manage to find out the magic word, hell would break loose, cause everyone would want that keyword and the animal (including the BBEG) and it's unlikely they could keep it for long.

The die and the dice boardThe die of decision

This 6 sided die, about the size of a halfling's fist is brimming with magic (and not hiding it). Each side glows in a different color and it gives off something akin to colored smoke (making it hard to hide).
When used as a thrown weapon, it acts like a +5 throwing stone with a range increment of 20 ft. The die does not return automatically when thrown!
When the die lands on solid ground after it hits, an additional effect occurs. It usually lands on the square of the creature hit.

1: Column of fire, 5ft square, 10ft high. 2d6 Fire damage.
2: Acid slime, 5ft square (and anyone standing in that square) 1d6 Acid damage (+1d6 for the 2 following rounds).
3: Ice spikes, 5ft radius, 1d6 cold damage, square counts as covered in caultrops for 10 rounds.
4: Electric shock, 5ft radius, 1d6 electric damage, Stunned for 1 round.
5: Thunder, 5ft radius, 1d6 sonic damage, deaf for 3 rounds.
6: Forceblast, 5ft radius, 1d6 force damage.

Dice board of fate

On it's own this dice board in unremarkable. It shows up as strong magical item, but has no aparent abilities.
When combined with the die it becomes a useful item though.

When the die of decision is rolled on the diceboard of fate (totally cheesy names I know <.< I am open for suggestions) it bestows useful magical buffs on the one rolling.

Without any special preparations the thrower gets the benefit of one of the following spells for 1 hour (as if cast by a 20th level wizard) and the die looses it's magic properties for 10 minutes.
1: Bull's Strength
2: Cat's Grace
3: Bear's Endurance
4: Fox Cunning
5: Owl's Wisdom
6: Eagle's Splendor

By spending an amount of silver powder equal to 100 GP (If have no idea who to apply that... dusting the die in it perhaps?). You get a similar effect that lasts for 24 hours (with a +6 enhancement bonus to a random stat).
The die looses it's powers for 1 hour.

With gold powder equaling 1000 GP. You get a +6 competence bonus to a random stat for 1 week.
The die looses it's powers for 1 day.

With platinum powder equaling 5000 GP. You get a +6 competence bonus to a random stat for 1 month.
The die looses it's powers for 1 week.

With diamond dust equaling 10000 GP. You get a +1 inherent bonus to a random stat permanently (just like from reading those expensive books). The die looses it's powers for 6 months.

From the gaming perspective:
Do these options seem usefull? Too powerful? Too expensive perhaps?
A book giving you +1 costs usually about 30000 gold, but in this case you can't chose which stat you wanna get, so it shouldn't be that good of a deal.

jiriku
2010-09-21, 08:07 AM
The gold-ass is funny and not OP at all.

You might rename the die of decision to the Prismatic Die?

You need different substances to replace the metallic powders.

100 gp of powdered silver is 20 pounds of silver dust.
1,000gp of powdered gold is also 20 pounds.
5,000gp of powdered platinum is still 10 pounds.

I'd suggest you start with 100gp of diamond dust as the cheapest material, and move up to even more exotic substances. Alternately, you could begin with powdered pearls, opals, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires.

Also, how are the players expected to learn that they can get various benefits by using valuable powders? One doesn't generally grind up money and sprinkle it on your gear "just to see what happens".

Additionally, mid-way through the sequence, you switched from enhancement bonuses to competence bonuses. Intentional?

Karuth
2010-09-21, 12:44 PM
The gold-ass is funny and not OP at all.

You might rename the die of decision to the Prismatic Die?

I like that idea.

You need different substances to replace the metallic powders.

100 gp of powdered silver is 20 pounds of silver dust.
1,000gp of powdered gold is also 20 pounds.
5,000gp of powdered platinum is still 10 pounds.

I'd suggest you start with 100gp of diamond dust as the cheapest material, and move up to even more exotic substances. Alternately, you could begin with powdered pearls, opals, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires.

Noted. I will see if I can think of something better.

Also, how are the players expected to learn that they can get various benefits by using valuable powders? One doesn't generally grind up money and sprinkle it on your gear "just to see what happens".

There will be in story hints or something. I dunno yet.

Additionally, mid-way through the sequence, you switched from enhancement bonuses to competence bonuses. Intentional?

Yes. I thought for the longer bonuses there had to be some other benefit. Who would pay 5000 GP for temporary buff even if it lasting a month, while still being able to be dispelled (even though it would be hard) and you can'T choose which stat you get it to? With the other option you could have your normal enhancement gear and could stack it with the bonus.
But true it is a bit confusing. Maybe I can devise a better version.
Probably depending on what material you use you get either enhancement or competence buffs (or even more different ones).
And you need two substances. One for the length of the buff the other for the type.

Perhaps the substance could be poured into the die (via a secret hatch):
Tear of a celestial being => Divine Bonus
Blood of a fiend => Profane Bonus
Magical substance => Enhancment Bonus
??????? => Luck bonus
Sweat of ????? => competence bonus?

I have to think a bit about this one.