PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition Voting Thread: Underfoot

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-21, 11:33 AM
Underfoot
http://i53.tinypic.com/6rrjub.jpg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9269599#post9269599)

The contest has ended and voting begun. See the entries below to vote for your choice. Glyphstone will be adding a poll shortly.

Like all the GITP Monster Competitions, voting is open to any and all.

Voting will end at Midnight (EST) of September 30th.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Band From Beneath

Atroxasaurus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9331787&postcount=6)
Kallth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9328501&postcount=5)
Xsoaetsziq (The Blind Ones) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9278534&postcount=3)

HalfTangible
2010-09-21, 11:43 AM
I vote Kallth. Mostly because i like the picture. The Sightless Ones were well done but they just sorta rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's just me.

Atrox just seemed too damn tough for any kind of monster. It becomes immue to everything you throw at it, meaning sooner or later you're gonna run out of stuff to throw at it. And then die. Easily.

strawberryman
2010-09-21, 12:00 PM
Xsoaetsziq for moi.

LOTRfan
2010-09-21, 04:00 PM
The Xsoaetsziqs are cool. I like the variants, and the general "hive-mind" feel.

unosarta
2010-09-21, 04:23 PM
I voted for the Kallth. It is too bad we didn't have more entries, this was a very cool and interesting subject, one that I could have done more with, if I had had more inspiration, and were not limited to one entry.

The Kallth is really cool simply for the freaky factor. Really, as I mentioned in the discussion thread, a dungeon of these, Tucker's kobolds, traps, and a herd of minotaurs, would be the ultimate death trap. :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2010-09-21, 10:31 PM
Xsoaetsziq get my vote. There was a lot of work and thought put into this and how they work together.

Atroxasaurus felt excessive at 75 HD. Epic creatures are difficult to assess. Hyper-Evolution was overpowered and seemed contradictory with it taking normal damage from sonic and electricity. With an Int of 2, giving it spell-like abilities was off-putting. True seeing should have a saving throw (10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier), which would be way too easy to avoid for CR 40.

The kallth were also well done but I wasn't terribly keen on radiosense. I am not convinced that radiosense rather than darkvision was necessary. Also, radiation is poisonous. You'd think these would be radioactive and cause disease in anyone who came into contact with them. Other than that, I felt it was a very strong entrant.

P.S. went back and entered in the poll now that it is up.

Debby

Maquise
2010-09-22, 08:05 AM
I vote Kallth. Seem like a great predator.

The Tygre
2010-09-22, 08:37 AM
Not many entries, but all of them good. I'm a sucker for Epic and showman-ship, but I am forever a slave to anything with a picture of the monster that introduced the words 'body horror' to the US public. Xsoaetsziq gets my vote. Good job for everyone, though. Especially you, LOTRfan; I know something that big and nasty probably took up a nice chunk of time.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-22, 02:15 PM
Not many entries, but all of them good.
50th anniversary Halloween mon comp coming soon. Hopefully it gets more interest.

Zom B
2010-09-22, 04:28 PM
I am not convinced that radiosense rather than darkvision was necessary. Also, radiation is poisonous. You'd think these would be radioactive and cause disease in anyone who came into contact with them.
Debby

It's an alternate vision method that works equally well in the underdark, and I didn't go with darkvision to emphasize the different way that they evolved to survive in their new environment. Also, Kallth don't emit any radiation themselves, they just see it. Radiation is poisonous, but I'm talking background radiation here, the stuff you are exposed to all the time. In a former job, I worked at a weigh station armed with radiation sensors that scanned a truck's load. Simple gravel would set off the radiation alarms, because natural stone has trace amounts of radiation that is not harmful to us.

The Tygre
2010-09-22, 11:18 PM
50th anniversary Halloween mon comp coming soon. Hopefully it gets more interest.

Any hints on the theme? :smallsmile:

Mulletmanalive
2010-09-27, 02:35 PM
Damn, forgot about this one; was hoping to D&Dise my Morlocks...

I'm going for the Atroxosaurus, simply because of the Devil Dinosaur feel i get from it...[no, i dunno why either].

Looking forward to the Halloween one. Last year's was a tough competition.

Bhu
2010-09-28, 01:52 AM
being a Kaiju Fan I feel I must show the Atroxasaurus some luv...

Schylerwalker
2010-09-28, 01:58 AM
Echoing the words of several before me, a surprising lack of entrants, and I must apologize for not entering...my homebrew monster muse returned a day too late, it seems.

I believe I shall vote for the kallth...

Aran Banks
2010-09-28, 11:39 PM
The Atroxosaurus bothered me, since its actual CR really depends on how many immunities it has stacked up. It could very well be 20, and a level 20 wizard could take it out with some well-done SoDs. Also, if an Atroxosaur makes 3 SoD saves, does that make it immune to death? It doesn't flat-out say that; I assume the being would just become immune to the specific spell.

Then... Kallth... radiosense... urgh. Just saying "it senses radiation" drives me NUTS. The standard radiation, electromagnetic radiation, is just LIGHT. At lower frequencies, it's AM and FM radio waves. At higher frequencies, it's x-rays and gamma rays. Now, there's also alpha particle radiation and beta radiation. And also neutron radiation. Neutron radiation isn't gonna happen, alpha radiation and beta radiation happen so infrequently that "sight" using them would be impracticle, so the only radiation left is EM. Which is to say that the Kallth just has a different visual range. Seeing as it can look through stone and such, this means the Kallth sees light waves of a lower frequency than humans and such. MUCH lower. Like, FM radio waves... but I'm not going to rant more about that.

The insect cave monsters are decent. I mean, they sound like "I live in the dark" formians, which isn't super-original. And the knowledge DCs are obnoxiously high for precious little information. But they don't have flavor problems that drive me nuts, and they're fine mechanically (so far as I checked). The Blind Ones get my vote.

DracoDei
2010-09-29, 11:15 AM
Kallth... and I might have entered if someone had said anything about the dragon I pondered in the discussion thread.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-01, 12:06 AM
And Zom_B wins this month's competition by a hair with his creation, the Kallth.

Congrats!

unosarta
2010-10-01, 09:23 AM
Great job Zom_B! The kallth was a really cool monster, and I really like the Atroxasaurus. :smallbiggrin:

LOTRfan
2010-10-01, 05:13 PM
Congrats Zom_B! And the Blind Ones were awesome, too.

unosarta
2010-10-01, 07:00 PM
Congrats Zom_B! And the Blind Ones were awesome, too.

Oh man, I hate to make this sound like we are just congratulating each other, but for an epic creature, the Atroxasaurus was pretty awesome. Most epic creatures are cheesy and overdone in their ultimate power, but the concept and execution for Atroxasaurus were admirable, to say the least. If I hadn't voted for the Kallth, I definitely would have voted for the Atroxasaurus.
Of course, that goes without saying... >_>