PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Invocations

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 11:59 AM
Playing a campaign as a Human Warlock. Just hit 4th level and I don't know what to spend my next invocation on. I will be prestiging into a Hellfire warlock, without Binder/soulheart vestment (too cheesey for the DM).

The Invocations I have so far are: Entropic Warding, Beguiling Influence.
Feats: Improved initiative, Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast, and Mortal bane.

I am the party face, playing as an artistocrat from another continent. Focusing in intimidate (too bad warlocks don't get diplomacy).

We are in a desert environment and I don't see us leaving any time soon and have to make fort and survival checks to travel or survive out in the harsh conditions. We ended last week with us in the middle of said desert after combat. I sustained horrific spell damage and am now dehydrated. My party does have plenty of water and a guide with "water rights".

So i was mainly looking at See the Unseen (See invisible people and darkvision) and Dark One's Own Luck (Charisma modifier bonus to one save, can switch). The boost to the fort save could "Save my life" in the desert environment and would make things less difficult travel-wise. However, being able to see just about any attacker and blast them would be reeeaalllly handy. Thoughts and/or any others you would recommend?

Quirp
2010-09-21, 12:12 PM
Cold Comfort (Complete Mage) can help you and your group to survive in the desert, but it isnīt a good choice otherwise.
Which invocations do you already have and what is your role in the party?

Kurald Galain
2010-09-21, 12:20 PM
Baleful Utterance! It has so many uses...

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 12:21 PM
Cold Comfort (Complete Mage) can help you and your group to survive in the desert, but it isnīt a good choice otherwise.
Which invocations do you already have and what is your role in the party?

The Invocations I have so far are: Entropic Warding, Beguiling Influence.

I am the party face, playing as an artistocrat from another continent. Focusing in intimidate (too bad warlocks don't get diplomacy).

I have a high charisma so I talk to people a lot. Combat: go off in a corner and shoot purple rays at people (soon to be big massive firey purple rays of DOOM!). Entropic warding has saved me a couple of hits already.

The other members in my party are : A rogue, a ranger, a warmage (with a 10 str) and a druid. (not the most optimized party I know). The Druid is focusing on healing and really doesn't know how to play a high tier character. Warmage is all about going boom on people. Ranger shoots arrows. Rogue runs around and tries to backstab people.

Zaydos
2010-09-21, 12:25 PM
Personally I like See the Unseen and Eldritch Spear myself. The reasons are fairly obvious (See the Unseen lets you see annoying invisible creatures and eldritch spear keeps you out of melee); Dark One's Own Luck is pretty good, I had it on my last warlock and it was useful but not the most useful one he had (he had excellent all around stats and 18 Charisma).

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 12:26 PM
Baleful Utterance! It has so many uses...
please explain.
at level 4 I can only blow things up that are 40lbs right? if it's an unattended object it gets no save right?

combat application? do the wielders get a save?

Quirp
2010-09-21, 12:31 PM
Yes, wielders get a save, but you can destroy locks, doors, windows, the weapons of those that failed their save, the chair a noble sits on, tables, manacles that your friend is bound with, .........
This invocation is like an illusion spell, since its uses are as many as you can come up with.

edit: another question is how you want to deal with the CON damage you will get, since the best methods are out.

Duke of URL
2010-09-21, 12:39 PM
Remember also that you can exchange a least invocation for another least invocation when you hit 6th level. Because of that, you want something that will help you now, without worrying if it scales well, as you can trade it away in a couple of levels if it is no longer useful.

As such, I don't really like see the unseen at this point -- it's not likely you'll be fighting many invisible enemies until you're level 6 or higher (possible, but not likely... depends a lot on the DM, to be honest).

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 12:40 PM
edit: another question is how you want to deal with the CON damage you will get, since the best methods are out.

wands of lesser restoration. My DM also likes to roll for stats (I think point buy is better, but meh I rolled really well) and I put one of my 18s in Con. I figure I can hold out by running away and shooting by the time my Con drops too low. besides, the chance of failure makes it more fun :smalltongue:

Remember also that you can exchange a least invocation for another least invocation when you hit 6th level. Because of that, you want something that will help you now, without worrying if it scales well, as you can trade it away in a couple of levels if it is no longer useful.
Good point. makes this decision a lot easier.

Zaydos
2010-09-21, 12:41 PM
3,100 GP will give you a rod of bodily restoration (3/day heal 2 points of damage to one physical ability score).

3750 GP will give you a wand of lesser restoration (requires UMD; 50 uses that heal 1d4)

true_shinken
2010-09-21, 12:41 PM
As soon as you take your Hellfire Warlock levels, buy a Rod of Bodily Restoration. It's really cheap.

I can see you are evil, so... sell your soul. With a pact certain, you get 2 feats. Take Eldritch Claws and Weapon Finesse. Now you are a melee threat; people will want to attack you from a range, so you'll get more use from Entropic Warding.

At this levels, Summon Swarm is still good. It's an auto-hit with a possible debuff. You'd get a lot more out of it at level 1, though.

I love melee warlocks. Check the handbook in my sig. You might like it.

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 12:44 PM
3,100 GP will give you a rod of bodily restoration (3/day heal 2 points of damage to one physical ability score).

3750 GP will give you a wand of lesser restoration (requires UMD; 50 uses that heal 1d4)
sweet. what book in the rod of bodily restoration in? Can I apply the hellfire warlock ability of adding meta magic effects to that one? (I know empower can work on the wand of lesser restoration)

I can see you are evil, so... sell your soul. With a pact certain, you get 2 feats. Take Eldritch Claws and Weapon Finesse. Now you are a melee threat; people will want to attack you from a range, so you'll get more use from Entropic Warding.

At this levels, Summon Swarm is still good. It's an auto-hit with a possible debuff. You'd get a lot more out of it at level 1, though.

I love melee warlocks. Check the handbook in my sig. You might like it.

Actually I'm chaotic nuetral. but meh.
Melee warlocks don't interest me, but thanks for the advice.

true_shinken
2010-09-21, 12:50 PM
Actually I'm chaotic nuetral. but meh.
Melee warlocks don't interest me, but thanks for the advice.

You can take Mortal Bane while being Neutral? Well, that's good news.
Even if you don't want to melee, I'd take eldritch claws. It's that good. When someone closes with you, it's a chance to take them down without taking any AoO.

Rod of Bodily Restoration is from Magic Item Compendium. If you take the Obtain Familiar feat, your familiar can use it on you.

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 12:54 PM
You can take Mortal Bane while being Neutral? Well, that's good news.
Even if you don't want to melee, I'd take eldritch claws. It's that good. When someone closes with you, it's a chance to take them down without taking any AoO.

Rod of Bodily Restoration is from Magic Item Compendium. If you take the Obtain Familiar feat, your familiar can use it on you.

I didn't see it in the pre-reqs.
I do like the familiar giving me restoration a lot.....dunno how I'm going to fit the feat into my build though

true_shinken
2010-09-21, 12:56 PM
I didn't see it in the pre-reqs.
I do like the familiar giving me restoration a lot.....dunno how I'm going to fit the feat into my build though

Sell your soul. It's easy. ^^

A Ladder
2010-09-21, 01:03 PM
Sell your soul. It's easy. ^^

what book is that in?