PDA

View Full Version : E6 D&d 3.5?

JeenLeen
2010-09-21, 04:00 PM
I'm thinking of running an E6 game, but I don't really understand the rules. I get that the level cap is 6 and each 5000 xp after that you get a feat/skill/something.

I tried the Search function, but nothing came up. Any good online description of the rules? Or simply describe it here.

Lolzords
2010-09-21, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking of running an E6 game, but I don't really understand the rules. I get that the level cap is 6 and each 5000 xp after that you get a feat/skill/something.

I tried the Search function, but nothing came up. Any good online description of the rules? Or simply describe it here.

http://esix.pbworks.com/ <---- This site should be useful, the PDF called E6 on the first page should explain most of your questions.

Eldariel
2010-09-21, 04:54 PM
There's also the source of the variant (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202109).

Starbuck_II
2010-09-21, 05:05 PM

What are you missing? You just summed up it in your post.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-21, 05:19 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Epic_6

LibraryOgre
2010-09-21, 05:23 PM
Others have pointed you towards references, which are good. I'll go with reasons.

You've heard of the Tier system, right? How wizards are gods and fighters are worth a two-level dip, at best? The problem is that most of that doesn't kick in until 7th or 8th level. There's still a disparity, certainly, but the uber-leetness of wizards doesn't happen until they can start throwing around upper-level (i.e. 4 and higher) spells. Before that, they're good, but they don't have the spell slots to pull off world domination. In many ways, the "sweet spot" for D&D is right around 6th level... martial characters are starting to fall behind, but their stamina makes them useful for their glass cannon companions. Druids are still broken, but not quite as much.

So, put a level cap at 6. But then you run into character fatigue... the point where your character isn't doing anything new, so you get bored. Thus, the extra feat every 5000xp, which keeps you moving and improving (Want more skills? Open minded. Want a better attack? Weapon Focus), but not so fast that they become boring by their power, or even too powerful to handle.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-21, 07:04 PM
Im currently DMing a group about six bonus feats into E6. Works out pretty smoothly.

We made a few minor additions, namely, reintroducing the original small boosts to go up to eighth level one chunk at a time. Melee people love being able to boost BaB further and the like.

In addition, as we use the spell points variant, we introduced a feat line to gain additional spell points.

Finally, the "feat per ability" means of advancing PrCs has been extended to a wild variety of classes. It's surprisingly useful. For normal classes, we don't allow dipping(since the original PrC option was 1 only), so you've gotta take the abilities all the way through if you ever want another, and you have to take them in order(no jumping straight to capstone). Works out great so far.

In fact, all the players are eagerly awaiting the next feat, and most have long, long lists of feats they want.