PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder]Building a Tripper?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-21, 07:12 PM
As the titles says, I am thinking of building a trip based build. I was thinking a LN battle cleric (full BAB cleric with no domains and heavy armour) of Asmodeus, a spiked chain and an item of enlarge person for starters. But what are good stats and feats for such a build? Backup plan? Resources are pretty much anything Pathfinder, except Summoner. My previous character just died and we are at level six, I have 16,000 gp to spend.
Help me Playground, you're my only hope!

John Campbell
2010-09-21, 10:04 PM
Note that the Pathfinder spiked chain is not a reach weapon.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-21, 10:33 PM
Note that the Pathfinder spiked chain is not a reach weapon.
That's why I was thinking enlarge person. Now I have reach, more CMB and more strength and I can potentially trip Huge things instead of just up to Large.
Oh, doh, this is 25 points, Pathfinder style.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-22, 12:30 PM
No assistance for the Ravens Cry? Please?

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 12:46 PM
No assistance for the Ravens Cry? Please?

Well obviously, strength is your focus. Unfortunately there really is a dearth of PF feats that help.

Stephen_E
2010-09-22, 12:48 PM
Just heading to bed, but some quick points.

Heavy Flail.
Does everything u want from Spiked Chain and doesn't require feat,
Fighter with 1 level of Diviner Wizard.
Take all your spells as True Strike - no armour failure and the +20 applies to Combat Manuvers.
Also u act in surprise round and get +1 initive.
The Fighter class boosts your Combat Manuvers.

Later

Stephen E

PS. Even the PF desigers admit that Battle Cleric was a mistake. To powerful as a class.

Stephen_E
2010-09-22, 12:53 PM
Also u want your team mates to take Combat Reflexes.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-22, 01:08 PM
Do I need combat reflexes? How much dex should I have, if so?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-09-22, 01:13 PM
Yes, large size is good, but is not required. Unless you need the bonus to your CMB.

Pros: The feat "combat patrol" in the new Advanced Players guide, you can take a full round action to "patrol the battlefield" whereby extending your reach 5ft per 5 pts. of BAB you have; thus a +15 BAB would equate to +15 feet of reach.

Downside, and it is epic in relation to your build: You need 3 feats to take this one, those being Dodge, Mobility, and Combat Reflexes.
You also need Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Greater Trip. If your DM is awesome, she or he might allow the Knock Down (SaF) feat. You may want to be a fighter for a few levels, instead of straight cleric.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 01:13 PM
While you don't *need* combat reflexes, one of the beauties of a tripper build is that standing up from prone provokes.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-09-22, 01:14 PM
Do I need combat reflexes? How much dex should I have, if so?

Yes, Combat Reflexes is awesome when you build a tripper, or have compatriots who use combat maneuvers such as Greater Trip, Greater Bull Rush, et cetera. Any dex score over 12 is good.

Mongoose87
2010-09-22, 02:36 PM
While you don't *need* combat reflexes, one of the beauties of a tripper build is that standing up from prone provokes.

It doesn't really work that way. Standing up provokes, you make the attack, the the character reaches their feet.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 02:39 PM
It doesn't really work that way. Standing up provokes, you make the attack, the the character reaches their feet.

I am confused as to how that differs from what I said?

Mongoose87
2010-09-22, 03:03 PM
I am confused as to how that differs from what I said?

Oh, I thought you were referring to the common misconception that you trip them on their way up, keeping them down.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 03:09 PM
Oh, I thought you were referring to the common misconception that you trip them on their way up, keeping them down.

Nope, just the fact that you can make them eat a bunch of AoO's when getting up. Hence combat reflexes.

Person_Man
2010-09-22, 03:28 PM
Note that size bonuses in Pathfinder have been reduced, making Enlarge Person and Expansion far less important (and conversely making it easier for Medium creatures to Trip Large and bigger enemies).

Also, I'm not sure if by RAW whether or not things that boost Str checks - such as Marshal 1, Factotum 3, Mauling Gauntlets soulmeld - apply to your Combat Maneuver Bonus. Check with your DM. If they do, then something like Incarnate 3/Marshal 1 or Factotum 3/Prestige Class X would be an excellent option for a Trip build. If not, then you're going to need to boost your Str directly through Rage and/or Wildshape and/or buff spells.

Also, you might want to look at the Ritiik exotic weapon from Frostburn. If you successfully hit an enemy, the enemy must make a Reflex Save. If it fails, you get a free Trip Attempt. You should also still qualify for Knock-Down (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Knock-Down).

And as always, after you've invested 4ish feats into a melee combo, you want to move on to something else. Not everything can be Tripped, and putting all of your eggs into one basket is never a good long term strategy.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-22, 04:21 PM
Sorry, I only can use Pathfinder material for this campaign.
Here's what I got so far
Human Fighter 1/Battle Cleric 5, favoured class: Battle Cleric
Grath Mordint 25 point buy, Pathfinder style
10 STR 18 strength
10 Dex 14
10 Con
10 Wis 15
10 Cha 12
10 Int 13
Feats:
Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise Improved Trip, Intimidating Prowess,
4 skill points, 2 from class, one from intelligence bonus, one from favoured class
Intimidate 6+3+5=14
Sense Motive 2+3+6=11
Spell Craft 6+3+1= 10
Knowledge: ? 5+3+1=9
Another campaign rule is we all need a knowledge skill.

Eldariel
2010-09-22, 05:27 PM
No Spiked Chain. PF made sure there are no exotic weapons worth taking. Take something like Guisarme instead, pick Improved Unarmed Strike with that feat you saved and profit. Or use Armor Spikes or whatever but I prefer IUS since you can trip with UA Strikes and get full PA returns.

And you're a Cleric, Knowledge: Religion seems relatively obvious. If you're going Cleric, I'd again go all the way; Righteous Might is still v. good and you'll want that ASAP. You'll still want Power Attack, even in its PF state, and is still good and overall, your feats seem fine. You'll obviously want Greater Trip ASAP though.

Stephen_E
2010-09-22, 08:06 PM
I see you are taking Intimidating Prowess.

I suggest you plan on taking Weapon Focus and Dazzling Display after Greater Trip, and that you let the Rogue in the party know it.

Dazzling Display lets you make all enemies within 30' shaken for 1+ rounds if your intimidation roll beats there HD + Wis Mod. 1 rd + 1 rd per 5 you exceed the required DC.

If the Rogue takes Weapon Focus, Dazzling Display, Shattered Defenses - every time they hit 1 of those shaken targets the target becomes flatfooted until the end of their next attack. Sneak Attack heaven for the Rogue. (If you are wondering why the Rgue doesn't do the intimidate - They don't have the same bonuse ability generally, but if you roll crap they can alway give it a shot).

I will also point out that the Fighter's Weapons Training bonus applies to Combat Manuvers. Basically the Battle Cleric is more powerful as a character, but the Fighter is more powerful as a Combat MAnuver melee character.

Stephen E

Ravens_cry
2010-09-22, 08:14 PM
Great idea, Stephen_E. Unfortunately, there is no Rogue in the party. I took intimidating prowess because I want this to be a scary son of a gun. Yeah, it's not optimal, but it is fun.

Grommen
2010-09-22, 09:19 PM
Just did a similar thing with my Women of the Silken Veil in Riddleport. They follow Calistria (the god of well all kinds of fun things). Her favored weapon is a whip.

Whips have a reach of 15 feet, they are exotic weapons. You will need the feat for that. And they don't do damage to people they hit most of the time, but they can trip. Says that they provoke attacks of Opportunities when you attack. However if the person can't reach you (IE. is at 15 feet), they can't hit you anyhow, so it don't count.

I would say that anything that adds to your Strength would factor into your CMB.

Really loved the idea of everyone in the party taking Combat Reflexes. That is just mean.