PDA

View Full Version : immediate actions

Baltor
2010-09-21, 07:13 PM
I am a wizard fighting a fighter. I lose initiative so I cast greater celerity. Could the fighter use a belt of battle to interrupt my interrupion?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-21, 07:14 PM
Only if the belt of battle activates as an immediate action. Nothing says you can't use an immediate action as a reaction to another immediate action.

lsfreak
2010-09-21, 07:26 PM
You can't use immediate actions when flat-footed, so unless you have something to override that, you can't celerity your way into first turn. Also, belt of battle is a swift action.

But yes, an immediate action could interrupt another immediate action.

ericgrau
2010-09-21, 07:30 PM
Other things that interrupt in D&D resolve in the reverse order that they were declared, so I imagine immediate actions would be handled the same way. I.e., whoever immediates last acts first. I'm basically saying the same thing that lsfreak said. But now if you ever get a chain of 5 immediates now you know what to do. This is also the way Magic the Gathering does it, another WotC product.:smalltongue:

FMArthur
2010-09-21, 07:37 PM
If you've ever taken a programming course that dealt with memory it's likely you'll know all about 'heap' and 'stack' systems. I think MtG also explicitly uses these terms. D&D only implicitly uses them as a necessity of its function.

Baltor
2010-09-21, 08:07 PM
So a belt of battle could not interrupt my celerity spell?

WinWin
2010-09-21, 08:10 PM
From memory, the belt of battle activates as a swift or free action which can only be taken on it's wearers turn.

Also, Nerveskitter + Celerity is a useful combo.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-21, 08:11 PM
Let's see if I get what you really want to ask

1) It's your turn
2) Someone uses an immediate
Can you use a swift action before the guy who used an immediate action gets to act?

lsfreak
2010-09-21, 08:12 PM
So a belt of battle could not interrupt my celerity spell?

No, it couldn't.

Also, Nerveskitter + Celerity is a useful combo.
Celerity still can't be used. Nerveskitter a) has already used up your immediate action, and b) doesn't stop you from being flat-footed.

ericgrau
2010-09-21, 08:13 PM
Let's see if I get what you really want to ask

1) It's your turn
2) Someone uses an immediate
Can you use a swift action before the guy who used an immediate action gets to act?
If so then swifts could interrupt other things like attacks of opportunities against you, and I don't think they can. So while I couldn't find a rule and may be wrong, I think no you can't interrupt anything with a swift.

If you can then that opens up a lot of interesting and probably OP tactics, like using a quickened spell to disrupt a readied actions to disrupt your spell with a spell.

WinWin
2010-09-21, 08:18 PM
Celerity still can't be used. Nerveskitter a) has already used up your immediate action, and b) doesn't stop you from being flat-footed.

Nerveskitter is more of a surprise round spells than anything. Celerity helps you resolve conflicts faster. Thank you for clarifying though.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-21, 08:20 PM
If so then swifts could interrupt other things like attacks of opportunities against you, and I don't think they can. So while I couldn't find a rule and may be wrong, I think no you can't interrupt anything with a swift.

If you can then that opens up a lot of interesting and probably OP tactics, like using a quickened spell to disrupt a readied actions to disrupt your spell with a spell.

Yeah i'm leaning towards that too.

Boci
2010-09-21, 08:23 PM

Nerveskitter to win initiative, have your turn, end it, celerity.

lsfreak
2010-09-21, 08:33 PM
Nerveskitter to win initiative, have your turn, end it, celerity.

Yea, that would work. For some reason I was only thinking of using Nerveskitter, and then if you didn't win initiative, use Celerity to go first anywho. Which wouldn't work unless you already had a surprise round.

Baltor
2010-09-21, 08:34 PM
More correctly. It is an arena battle Me versus a fighter.1) Would I be able to use celerity to go first even if he wins initiative.2) would his belt of battle allow him to interupt my interuption to his initiative. As we would both be introduced and aware of eachother as threats prior to initiative a starting order would be issued and then we roll initiative. I would not think being flat footrd would aply to either one of us in this situation.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-09-21, 08:38 PM
1) No, because you would be flat-footed until your first turn, and you can't use immediate actions while flat-footed.

2) No, because it uses swift or free actions, and the consensus seems to be that those cannot interrupt immediate actions.

Erom
2010-09-21, 08:40 PM
1) No, unless you have some way to avoid being flat footed.

2) No, swift can't interrupt immediate.

Baltor
2010-09-21, 08:57 PM
1) No, unless you have some way to avoid being flat footed.

2) No, swift can't interrupt immediate.

1. No where in the discription of flat footed does it say that the condition would make you unable to perform immediate actions. It specifically names only two things that are affected your dex to AC and attacks of oprotunity.

Boci
2010-09-21, 09:00 PM
1. No where in the discription of flat footed does it say that the condition would make you unable to perform immediate actions. It specifically names only two things that are affected your dex to AC and attacks of oprotunity.

Thats because the flatfooted condition existed before immediate actions. Check the immidiate actions discription.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-21, 09:00 PM

Complete mage (or ANY book with the swift and immediate action sidebar), page 4.
"You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed".
Flat-footed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#flatFooted)condition:

A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation. A flat-footed character loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) and cannot make attacks of opportunity.
This means that until your turn actually starts in combat, you are flatfooted and can't take immediate actions.