PDA

View Full Version : A nice giant monster

Doomboy911
2010-09-21, 08:25 PM
Yeah right now I'm working on a campaign in which the party are hunting for four temples that hold a artifact in each of them that when combined will show them were some great treasure is. The idea is that one was hidden in a volcano, one was tucked away in the jungle far away from the world, another is being well guarded by a kingdom but on the last one we have an issue. I want to put it inside a monster so does anyone know a beast big enough to hold four people (it doesn't need to hold a temple just a tiny artifact).

So when you think gigantic beastie what comes to mind.

Another_Poet
2010-09-21, 08:29 PM
I think Purple Worm is the most thematic choice if you want to go by the book.

However I would homebrew a monster with a small dungeon inside it. Possibly make it an harmless monster - like a giant sea turtle with a town on its back. The residents of the town will be ruined if the PCs accidentally kill it while adventuring inside, so that adds a bit of a twist to it.

Alternately make it some kind of hostile giant monster and call it the Zone Eater a la Final Fantasy VI.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-09-21, 08:32 PM
Any creature of Huge or larger size with the Swallow Whole ability should be able to hold four medium creatures in its gullet. No reason a tiny artifact couldn't also be in there. Of course, if you were talking something more like Jabu-jabu, I'm afraid I don't know of any creatures that are that big on the inside.

Lhurgyof
2010-09-21, 08:34 PM
Megapede
Garngrath
Xixecal
Tarrasque
Juiblex
Thunder Worm

What level is the party?

A Xixecal is a colossal creature with colossal dragons on it's shoulder that look smaller than canaries. It's made entirely of ice and has a mile wide blizzard around it. Have a temple carved into a slumbering one?

Reynard
2010-09-21, 10:33 PM
I once played in a campaign that took place inside an earth elemental city inside a bigger-than-most-mountains earth elemental. All the inhabitants of the city were described as it's children. Safe from the dangers outside because of Mother Stone, they had become quite different to normal elementals.

AslanCross
2010-09-22, 05:53 PM
The issue with just a normal monster's innards is that it's...well, cramped, in the grappling, bludgeoning and acidic kind of way. Movement inside is rather restricted.

If you're okay with that, the Purple Worm is fine, I guess.

If you want more space, Dalmosh (Monster Manual V) is a unique monster who lives on the Abyss in a region called the Flesh Mountains. It's possible to summon him with a ton of food, so maybe someone summoned him and he got stuck somehow.

He's a gargantuan humanoid-shaped creature that eats everything in sight, and his innards lead to a demiplane (Dalmosh's Gullet) that's shaped like a series of intestines. They're big enough to have small towns in them, and the constant hail of debris and food allows people to survive.

There are also powerful winds that blow through the area.

LordShotGun
2010-09-22, 06:46 PM
There are also powerful winds that blow through the area.

I see what you did thar...Funny...:smallwink:

klemdakherzbag
2010-09-22, 06:53 PM
Pathfinder module S1 Clash of the Kingslayers has an entire dungeon come alive as a monster :smallwink:

AslanCross
2010-09-22, 07:31 PM
I see what you did thar...Funny...:smallwink:

Heh, yeah. That's really the description, though. :smallamused: (And they're hurricane force winds. Imagine that.)

Doomboy911
2010-09-22, 08:53 PM
My idea is that our stalwart heroes are wandering through the desert when they come across an alter that due to some prompting (I prompt hard) they climb onto when a jumbo sized beast comes out to simply swallow them whole. Now I do like the ice monster thing (won't work for the desert but you bet your sweet biffy I'll be using it somewhere else). Maybe the earth elemental since it can have whatever innards I say and I could put the temple in there.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-22, 08:54 PM
The tarrasque is a nice creature but it could be too powerful. Also, several ancient dragons might work too.

Doomboy911
2010-09-22, 08:59 PM
The tarrasque is a nice creature but it could be too powerful. Also, several ancient dragons might work too.

I was thinking that too but I thought it wasn't big enough to hold four people inside of it.

big teej
2010-09-22, 10:08 PM
I like the jabu jabu idea....

but make a sandy version

like....... think a bullette, but BIGGER... and whaleish

perhaps whamon from diginmon? but colored/shaped like a bullette type creature?

pac man?

the ground begins to rumble beneath your feet, as a giant bulge appears in the distance, you hear, very fainlty at first, but slowly getting louder wokka wokka wokka wokka the mound rushes towards you, and before any of you can move, the mound bursts open and a giant golden sphere with a huge gaping mout appears and swallows you all whole!!!

.... I may have to use this....

Lhurgyof
2010-09-22, 10:12 PM
My idea is that our stalwart heroes are wandering through the desert when they come across an alter that due to some prompting (I prompt hard) they climb onto when a jumbo sized beast comes out to simply swallow them whole. Now I do like the ice monster thing (won't work for the desert but you bet your sweet biffy I'll be using it somewhere else). Maybe the earth elemental since it can have whatever innards I say and I could put the temple in there.

Only problem is that the Xixecal is an epic-level monster, so it would have to stay slumbering. xD

Lysander
2010-09-22, 10:23 PM
There's the Genius Loci (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm), which is an ooze that looks like land. Maybe you can homebrew one up that instead of resembling empty terrain instead mimics a building or a cave.

You could also use a plane with the sentient trait, maybe with a portal "mouth"?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-22, 10:38 PM
Living Vault, Collosal Construct. Page 203 in Epic level handbook.

A living vault is just that—a magically animated chamber constructed by the most powerful epic wizards to store and protect prized possessions.

A living vault is primarily a defensive entity, designed to guard treasures of all sorts, though it can attack as necessary. It has an array of powerful magical functions that allow it to ward off even the most aggressive attempts to penetrate its interior. Even living creatures can be stored in a living vault, carefully locked away for future interrogation.

It grows to become 25,000 cubic feet... but with an epic level wizard it's certainly plausible that it's bigger and/or has extradimensional spaces in it. The thing is pretty slick though and not exactly easy to enter or trick.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-22, 11:51 PM
I was thinking that too but I thought it wasn't big enough to hold four people inside of it.

The dragons or tarrasque? I think colossal can hold four people at the very least.

Jergmo
2010-09-22, 11:55 PM
There's the Genius Loci (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/geniusLoci.htm), which is an ooze that looks like land. Maybe you can homebrew one up that instead of resembling empty terrain instead mimics a building or a cave.

You could also use a plane with the sentient trait, maybe with a portal "mouth"?

The Complete Guide to Doppelgangers features the evolved form of the Mimic, which is the size of a building and it can emulate all of the classic haunted mansion effects. Blood down the walls, rooms shifting about, disembodied voices...

Doomboy911
2010-09-23, 06:08 PM
Perhaps I can put some of these big bad monsters together than it would be big enough take the earth elemental and throw in the slime.

Lhurgyof
2010-09-23, 08:39 PM
IIRC, Neth is a living demiplane in the manual of the planes.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-23, 09:01 PM
Isn't there a unique monster that has a demiplane in it's belly and mouths all over it?

Thrawn183
2010-09-24, 01:57 AM
Yeah, CR 17 or 18. It starts off with one attack, but every time you cut it, the wound becomes an extra mouth. I don't remember if it's in MM IV or V though.

hamishspence
2010-09-25, 01:22 PM
MMV: the monster is called Dalmosh and is CR 17. You do have to do 20 points of damage in "a single attack" for him to create a new mouth though.

Doomboy911
2010-09-25, 04:06 PM
Maybe these will work I'm not exactly trying to kill them so much as have a nice hiding spot inside a giant monster.

DaMullet
2010-09-25, 08:12 PM
Does it have to be organic? A Colossal Animated Object would suit your purposes, and it could even BE a dungeon, with floors and rooms and things. It could still be shaped like a monster, but given that it's protecting a magical artifact there's no reason it should be mortal in the first place.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-25, 08:32 PM
Try looking through ther Immortal's Handbook- though the CR is much greater than what you're looking for, it has, how you say, stats for galaxy sized things.

YES.

Doomboy911
2010-09-25, 08:36 PM
It doesn't need to be organic but it must be needed to move.

The set up is the king who had his piece of the artifact (broke it in four and he has one piece) decided the best way to hide was inside some monster he could control and never stop moving his kingdom. The construct idea is interesting but I need to figure out the stats for it to see what the movement speed and size would be.

DaMullet
2010-09-25, 09:16 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm

A colossal animated object (like, say, a small house) has a move speed ranging from 10 feet per round to 50 depending on whether or not it had locomotive capability before it was animated. Since there are stats listed for every size category down to tiny, I'm sure you could extrapolate stats for something "larger than colossal" if you felt the small house wasn't big enough. Also, since you can animate any object, there's no reason to limit it to anything mundane like the house above. Maybe it's a taxidermied dragon corpse that's been animated.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-25, 09:29 PM
Maybe these will work I'm not exactly trying to kill them so much as have a nice hiding spot inside a giant monster.

The living vault moves slowly (10ft/round) but can also do a bunch of stuff like sequester & planeshift to hide in the astral plane. Per RAW it says it will often capture creatures via imprisonment, but sometimes unconscious or otherwise subdued creatures are stored as an object (presumably with everything else). It's immune to magic similar to various golems and has construct traits to boot. Pretty much it does whatever the creator tells it to do and keeps stuff it's storing safe, there's probably no reason someone couldn't have given it the order to allow people who do something specific entry and have a bunch of traps and critters inside to protect the doodads.

klemdakherzbag
2010-09-25, 10:41 PM
Pathfinder module S1 Clash of the Kingslayers has an entire dungeon come alive as a monster :smallwink:

This (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderModules/35E/v5748btpy86uz)

FelixG
2010-09-26, 04:01 AM
go with a giant purple wyrm and they get taken inside Gears of War 2 style :P

Doresain
2010-09-26, 02:52 PM
go with an animate dungeon that wanders the desert like atlas from god of war...fill it with mummified (they dont have to be actual mummies if thats too strong, just fluff it that way) undead and what not and it is now the animated tomb of king so-and-so

Raistlin1040
2010-09-26, 03:00 PM
THere's actually a template in the Monster Manual II called Of Biblical Proportions Titanic, that makes any ordinary animal or vermin, medium or smaller, Gargantuan size.