PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Fighter's Combat Challenge Mark + Mountain's Thunder (MC)

Thrull
2010-09-21, 11:39 PM
Question.

4E Fighter's Combat Challenge text includes this:

"Every time you attack a target, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target."

Form of Mountain's Thunder, a Warden daily, says this:

"Once per round when you hit an enemy with a melee attack, each enemy marked by you takes damage equal to your Strength modifier."

So what happens when a fighter multi-classing this ability attacks a previously unmarked target? Does the mark apply before the daily effect goes off, thus causing the extra damage to *always* have the chance to occur on any hit? Or is the mark applied after the originating attack completes?

Basically, when is a fighter's mark applied compared to the action that allows it to be placed?

Thanks!

Surrealistik
2010-09-21, 11:56 PM
Attack takes place before a hit, so the mark applies prior to the effect of the daily.

Angelmaker
2010-09-22, 04:31 AM
That would mean that the Feat "marked scourge" from martial power adds his +Wis mod damage to EACH and ANY fighter attack?

Kurald Galain
2010-09-22, 04:33 AM
That would mean that the Feat "marked scourge" from martial power adds his +Wis mod damage to EACH and ANY fighter attack?

No, because it was errata'ed to state "once per round".

Angelmaker
2010-09-22, 05:13 AM
No, because it was errata'ed to state "once per round".

But it still deals the extra damage even to targets that were previously unmarked, the second you attack it?

Surrealistik
2010-09-22, 09:19 AM
But it still deals the extra damage even to targets that were previously unmarked, the second you attack it?

Attack and hit as the RAW presented to me in this thread states.

BlckDv
2010-09-22, 10:07 AM

I don't have the power in front of me, I'd want to look at the wording. If it says it deals the extra damage when you *attack* a marked target then it only affects targets that were already marked, as the target you attacked was not marked when you made the attack. If it says it deals the extra damage when you damage or hit a marked target, then I'd say it looks like RAW would apply if you choose to mark the target with that attack, as the mark would seem to be applied as soon as you have attacked, before the hit/damage are determined.