PDA

View Full Version : Game Plot in one line

oxinabox
2010-09-22, 12:09 AM
Tell us a game plot (present past or future) that you have played in, run or will be running.
(Please bold them for easy notice)

"Go to the moon, defeat Hitler, save the world, beat the Russians"

I'm running this as a one shot in the Open Wushu system this friday.
I've never tryed the system before but i think this will work well for it

Hague
2010-09-22, 12:14 AM
Meet the girl, defeat her 7 evil ex-boyfriends and ride the subspace highway to victory?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-22, 12:17 AM
Kill an apparently benevolent God in order to save the world.

Zaydos
2010-09-22, 12:18 AM
Defend world from illithid armies and repulse them by slaying their general in deities' gambling match..

Travel to the moons of four worlds to collect the key for a spaceship to find the power to become a god.

Destroy artifact that holds the world together to stop psycho, then fix what you have broken.

Lesbian space pirates go on crazy adventures

Save the Doctor from the Master and hope it doesn't end up as a slash fic. it did.

The first two are one campaign I ran (it was supposed to end after the first line but they wanted moar). The third is another game I ran. The fourth is a game I'm supposed to run soon. And the last was a game I played in.

Evil gods select monstrous champions to slay retired dragonslayers

A pbp I'm currently DMing.

Greymane
2010-09-22, 12:30 AM
Wander around the Underdark, and accidentally prevent the Mindflayers from recreating their original future.

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 12:39 AM
"Discover and defeat fallen angel, with a detour to the Wizard's Moving Castle."
The last campaign I was in.

"Get shipwrecked on a foreign coast while delivering keys of a demon's prison."
The one I'm (trying to) run now.

"Stars fall, weird stuff happens."
The one VT's running.

"Find your kobolds a new home."
One I'm running on here now :smallcool:

Drascin
2010-09-22, 12:58 AM
The ones I'm playing in would probably be something like:

Teenagers with superpowers fight eldritch abominations to save the world - with only moderate angst!

Half-clueless magic knights under military command versus well-intentioned terrorists and world-shaking superweapons, round one, fight!

And as for the one I'm GMing...

The Universe is falling down, falling down, falling down, the Universe is falling down, whatcha gonna do about it? :smalltongue:

Dairun Cates
2010-09-22, 01:12 AM
Current campaign

"Two parties go on two separate quests to find an evil potion maker/find odd jobs while rocking out only to meet up and try to take down an international conspiracy between gamblers and alchemists centered mostly around a millenium old teenage demon ninja girl with a literally split personality and an immortal man."

Previous campaigns (most of which I GM'ed) also include.

"High school students in space take down 8 elite government agents in order to stop a corrupt psychic government official from gaining the powers of a God with the help of a very important janitor, a mercenary hired to be a teacher, and a robot sent to blend in with the high school student that also has a secret identity as a super hero."

"5 Girl/Boy Scouts try to sell cookies and end up in a situation involving norse gods, mad scientists, and hair dressing."

"5 Characters escape a zombie apocalypse only to be swept into a convention for the illuminati that doesn't exist while trying to find a way home and retaining their sanity."

"5 adventurers go on a quest to stop a new darklord from arising and end up in a time travel paradox that will potentially unmake one of the main characters from the timeline if the Dark Lord is defeated."

"5 Monster Trainers go on a quest to become the very best only to find out that their universe is a hub to all universes and that the monsters they raised are entities from alternate dimensions cursed by a dark god intent on enslaving every reality."

"3 superheroes in high school, a teacher, and a super lucky janitor attempt to stop a large supervillain conspiracy to make everyone a superhero while avoiding an annoying and immortal avatar of bad luck."

"2 Mercenaries attempt to catch a renegade criminal while a rising action star desperately tries to make it to a movie audition."

"Someone pushes too many buttons and what starts out as a simple one shot turns into a chaotic battle against Dr. Wily... during Christmas."

"Characters chase after mutant that doesn't realize he's a mutant while almost destroying Alpha complex with the help of a volcano and the def lepards until someone that looks like the G-man stops them."

"Players work together in a Paranoia game to drive GM insane."

"6 Vigilantes stop a Bank Owner from robbing his own bank because the staff missed a memo."

"A cooking slime with bad hong kong dubber and a suave liar that failed as a necromancer attempt to take down a villain that literally exists because people believe she does."

"4 players actually attempt to play the imp game with hilariously bad result."

"Everyone is John and John is crazy."

"5 secret agency fighters attempt to stop a horrible outbreak of Homonculi only to be killed more often than DBZ characters."

"Twin magicians, desperate for money, end up on a volunteer mission to save a unicorn from a demon bent on its extinction all while one twin constantly gets accused of sleeping with the unicorn."

"Star War Mercenaries just try to make a buck and instead seem to constantly get in trouble with every authority within 20 parasects."

"Two Jedi, a diplomat, and two droids (one a homocidal cleaning droid) become the heroes of minor footnotes in Star Wars cannon while trying not to destroy each other over differences in operational procedure."

"A scientist, an alcoholic, a glitched security droid, a dwarf, a red-neck, and a self-nerfed God end up caught in the whims of a powerful witch that just wants them to keep her entertained."

"Paranoia game where players try to be the Super Ma-R-IOH brothers and save the Ultraviolet princess."

"Everyone thinks the only guy that's not a mutant is a mutant while the real mutant desperately tries to protect the non-mutant with his useless mutant power of blowing himself up."

"Communism wins."

I'll post more if I think of them.

FMArthur
2010-09-22, 01:18 AM
"The 'known world' is unknowingly on top of an enormous epic dragon, an ancient protection from the hellish world below."

My current setting. The ruined surface is such a good excuse for the usually senseless scaling of encounters to the PCs' power level.

Vemynal
2010-09-22, 01:18 AM
Defeat the Gnome necromancer so the Gnome king can establish a nation that will eventually be a gnomish frozen wasteland lawful evil slave empire that my players will come across in later campaigns

Investigate why the forest is growing exponentially, why the beasts as you get closer to the forest become progressively more enraged (rage/greater rage/frenzy), defeat the evil cult bleeding out a demon and drinking its blood for power, reseal the demon and become its new watchers

A man named Forge has turned himself into a Golem like angel and has been creating golems that have been assaulting the heavens. Defeat his two previously angel golems and himself. If they players killed him they unlocked Aasimar as a new race in the setting. If they didn't they unlocked Warforged.

Arutema
2010-09-22, 01:51 AM
King colludes with evil druid. Sends PCs on wild goose chase. They kill him for it.

Paranoia. TPKs cure amnesia. Thank you, Leeroy Jenkins.

oxinabox
2010-09-22, 04:13 AM
One line?
Or one sentence?
(I was actually thinking I should put a character/word limmit on it, when i posted this)
This is less one liners than, breif explainiury paragraphs.

DOn't get me wrong, these sound like Awesome games,
but i was hopign on more Snappy

One i'm playing in at the moment:"Save the little girl, Doom the World"

Shademan
2010-09-22, 04:20 AM
one I once ran:
to save the multiverse you must kill a these people who just wants to go home

Nihb
2010-09-22, 05:38 AM
A bunch of runaways are brought into an epic pursuit, save a girl from an evil wizard, save the world.
Cliché, but it was the delivery that made it different :-P

Two evil guys are hired to find and bring back artefacts of great power, rebel and recruit a huge army of goblinoids to wage war against their employer.
They were three at first. Don't asked what happened.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-09-22, 07:48 AM
My on-hiatus 4E game:

Defeat the serpent that ate the sun, and make it cough the sun back up.

A 4E game I'm cooking up where all the PCs are the same race:

The last of the Eladrin rally allies to retake their lost homeland.

Britter
2010-09-22, 09:00 AM
My most recent Shadowrun game.

An ancient, insane great dragon takes over an old USA nuclear missle base and destroys the major population centers of North America.

There is more detail, of course, but thats the basic concept.

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 09:03 AM
Currently in development: Magic has disappeared for centuries, now returned in a different lesser form, discover what has happened and (maybe) restore it.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-22, 09:09 AM
Eldritch Abominations are breaking through the damaged fabric of space-time, mutating innocents- Stop them.

Knaight
2010-09-22, 09:24 AM
Sentient robots strive for existence and acceptance in a hostile world.

A romantic comedy following the adventures of a pirate trying to get revenge on his mutinous crew and an alchemist trying to find her place in the world.

A bunch of misfits try to take down a necromantic cabal with lots and lots of violence.

A noble ambassador and his bodyguard try to recover the nobles reputation after being framed for a murder to start a war.

Wanderers bring political stability to a world through violent removal of opposition leaders during a war.

A bounty hunter and homeless man avoid pursuit from a would be usurper after their heads.

A pair of 23rd century adventurers and adrenaline junkies try to find El Dorado before demonic forces.

I can't say I'm too impressed by either of the games with violence or violent in the description. I was much younger and newer when I GMed them.

Incidentally, three of these are in the same setting, the other four four different settings. Which three are in the same setting should be obvious and easy to guess.

jiriku
2010-09-22, 09:31 AM
Lesbian space pirates go on crazy adventures

This needs a campaign diary. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2010-09-22, 09:40 AM

Doesn't it already have three or four anime series?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-22, 09:41 AM

It kinda was (http://rosalarian.com/lesbianpirates/), sort of. I guess.
----------------------------------------------------------
Suddenly, insects
Alcoholic dragon
Dad's a dragon, didn't I tell you before?
Evil cutlery summoning colossal acid jelly

JoshuaZ
2010-09-22, 09:42 AM
Group of people on merchant spaceship fake deaths after a battle with a corrupt customs crew from the oppressive interstellar government and now set out in forming a rebellion. (current game in friend's homebrew system for mildly hard scifi)

WeeFreeMen
2010-09-22, 09:45 AM
*"Fight off the Robotic Alien Squids"
* Damn you hitler! Damn youuuuu!! - Quote from a player. Was a fun and goofy game, think Hellboy but slightly more Sci-Fi (and Fish)

*"A group of haphazard adventurers free themselves from their oppressors, set out to free the others stuck underground, and then go to defeat the Spiral King-and somewhere in there, save the princess"
* Shamelessly stolen from TTGL, I DM'd it using the D20Modern system. Worked wonderfully; and yes, they were throwing galaxies.

AugustNights
2010-09-22, 09:54 AM
Five Kings own the known world, One Empress steals their kingdoms, Five Kings kill one Empress, Become Emperors.

Five successful 'Emperors' lose their Empires to seemingly natural issues, One Son-of-an-Empress Destroys the Multiverse, Five Emperors kill One Son, Become Gods

X Clueless Chumps are given a Lump of Lead to be transported to an Unknown Customer, One Lump of Lead is actually a Trumpet Archon's Trumpet, Hi-jinks happen.

The King dies at the Saint-Well-Be-Known's feast, Five Agents of the Church question everyone at feast, King committed suicide to induce scandal.

All living creatures are dead, Constructs and Undead are all that remain, Vampires cultivate powerful magics to survive, Lich lords seek to crush any semblance of life, band of Warforged search for rumors of Living Creatures 'Over the next Hill.'

+5 Vorpal Sword is the prize for Rat-Race like dungeon crawl. There are traps everywhere. Where there aren't traps there are enemies. Sometimes both.

Evil Boogey Man Clown has trapped Five Chumps in a strange candy land. Five Chumps try to Escape.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-09-22, 09:54 AM
BUNNIES!!!! Bunnies aren't just nice and cute like everyone supposes...

Yora
2010-09-22, 10:03 AM
Holy Sh**, the warlock empire just blew up their capital city. Let's go check it out!

Amphetryon
2010-09-22, 10:22 AM
One of the dragons claims to have deciphered the Dragon Prophesy as "death to all humanoids."

jiriku
2010-09-22, 10:25 AM
It kinda was (http://rosalarian.com/lesbianpirates/), sort of. I guess.[/B]

Ack! Brain...damaged...it may be permanent.

SilverLeaf167
2010-09-22, 10:28 AM
Fly around the world on a flying ship and land on islands for random reasons, caused mostly by DM fiat.
The campaign I'm currently running. I do have an idea for the future, but it sounds funnier this way.

Milskidasith
2010-09-22, 10:31 AM
Save people, kill other things/people, get loot. Repeat.

Dienekes
2010-09-22, 10:34 AM
My current games I'm GMing:

****in' elves.

Peace treaties got screwed, go placate the warring cultures and find out what went wrong.

How much can I rip off the core concepts of the Prequel Trilogy to make it a more compelling and interesting without my players noticing?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-22, 10:39 AM
Michael Faraday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday) was right about aether being the fifth classical element (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element).

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 10:42 AM
My current games I'm GMing:

****in' elves.

Does that one use FATAL?

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-22, 10:50 AM
Coming Up.

Pursue Cultists around half the globe, and summon the King in Yellow by mistake

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 11:04 AM
One that I've tried to run, but find that I'm not a good enough storyteller to be a DM:

You are all awakened cats; go take over the world.

Edit: Plus, you know, dealing with the players was like herding... well... cats, to be honest.

Dienekes
2010-09-22, 11:05 AM
Does that one use FATAL?

This cracked me up. And that cat's one reminds me of Sandman.

big teej
2010-09-22, 11:18 AM
Meet the girl, defeat her 7 evil ex-boyfriends and ride the subspace highway to victory?

its 7 evil exes.... =P
/nit pick

Dust
2010-09-22, 11:38 AM
"Okay, so the campaign is basically like if Tenacious D met Gary Gygax...."

Caliphbubba
2010-09-22, 11:55 AM
Chemosh is killing the 3 Brothers of Magic, stop it.

Grummush and Lloth had a baby, oh crap; Eww

Dwarven Barbarian Princess and her gnomish sidekicks have wacky hi-jynx.

4 werewolf cubs all have thier first change at a high school pep rally when it is attacked by formori.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-22, 12:05 PM
The ones I'm playing in would probably be something like:

Teenagers with superpowers fight eldritch abominations to save the world - with only moderate angst!

Half-clueless magic knights under military command versus well-intentioned terrorists and world-shaking superweapons, round one, fight!

Gee, those sound familiar. I wonder why...

As for some of my games:

Aliens use magic robots to invade alternate reality steampunk Europe. Humans capture a few and strike back.

A ragtag crew of mecha pilots helps a young prince save his sister from air pirates. A totalitarian country wants them dead.

Congratulations, you died and become one of 108 people who take part in a secret, world-wide scavenger hunt! Don't lose.

PersonMan
2010-09-22, 12:09 PM
Players of A New Era, no lookie.
Fight rebellious teens while nation burns, explode flying fortress to save non-rebellious teen.

Previous plots:
Go to pretty place, kill people, leave, kill more people.

Fight rebellious teens, join rebellious teens, fight crusty things, save world.

Fight lots of unrelated monsters, beat up god-devices.

Save world by fighting rebellious teens and giant empire.

Fight rebellious teens tainted with unholy power, save world.

Fight rebellious pre-teens, save universe.

Notice a common theme?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-22, 01:41 PM
The shorter and more interesting the title, the better.

The classic example of the shortest story is

For Sale: Baby shoes. Never worn.

Yora
2010-09-22, 02:01 PM
You are all awakened cats; go take over the world.
So what's the story? You've already won when the campaign starts. :smallbiggrin:

The-Mage-King
2010-09-22, 03:26 PM
Heres one that would be fun to play in, but I haven't found a game for...

An ancient enemy has escaped! Find five adventurers with attitude and give them various psychoactive skins!

And another:

An assortment of various villains is conspiring to destroy all of the planes of existance and recreate them under their control. Stop them.

Oh, one more:

A bishi and his eldritch abomination of a mother are plotting to destroy the world. Stop them.

Knaight
2010-09-22, 04:23 PM
There appears to be a lot of stopping going on.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-22, 04:35 PM
There appears to be a lot of stopping going on.

...What do you expect? The party are the heroes.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-22, 04:43 PM

Then...
The volcano is inactive longer than usual and we're all freezing to our deaths. Activate it.

balistafreak
2010-09-22, 04:44 PM
The shorter and more interesting the title, the better.

The classic example of the shortest story is

For Sale: Baby shoes. Never worn.

I believe that loses to Selling: Crib. Unused. :smallamused:

Knaight
2010-09-22, 04:45 PM

Note to self. More smilies. This really should be obvious by now.

More seriously, there are scenarios other than "big bad thing going to happen, don't let it.", and they can be fun. That romantic comedy I mentioned up in my list (which had its fair share of "stop it" plots as well) makes a decent example of that.

Ertwin
2010-09-22, 05:25 PM
My part in the current campaign
corpse of former big bad gives chessmaster big bad an aneurysm by being annoying.

The campaign can be summed up as follows.

After answering a want ad for a secret mission, the heroes leave every building they enter in flames entirely by accident.*

*note none of the heroes have any capability of starting fires.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-22, 07:31 PM
Roll initiative!:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv302/devil_I_driver/rollinitiative.jpg

Lucid
2010-09-22, 08:17 PM
From a Dragonlance minotaur campaign, currently on hiatus.

Save your country. Doom the world. Win the Great Circus!

NineThePuma
2010-09-22, 08:29 PM
Follow the tarrasque around to loot stuff, praying it doesn't turn around.

Saint of Kord
2010-09-22, 08:31 PM
Humans unwittingly represent "Team Monkey" in a space-faring kung fu tournament (with the world at stake) where the other particiapants are anthropomorphic aliens based on the chinese zodiac (Tiger, Boar, Ram, etc.) ftw.

StreetPizza
2010-09-22, 08:36 PM
Do stuff for a guy and then beat him up.

Fri
2010-09-22, 08:41 PM
*looks at signature*

You got giant mechs in my fantasy police procedural :smallamused:

And my previous game, aptly titled "My schoolmate is an evil overlord"

Knaight
2010-09-22, 09:03 PM
Humans unwittingly represent "Team Monkey" in a space-faring kung fu tournament (with the world at stake) where the other particiapants are anthropomorphic aliens based on the chinese zodiac (Tiger, Boar, Ram, etc.) ftw.

I support this with every molecule of my being.

Guancyto
2010-09-22, 11:51 PM
There are beings with full knowledge of the past, present and future. Except as pertains to you. Derailing the plot is the plot.

The campaign idea I'm currently working on.

Chambers
2010-09-23, 12:06 AM
Getting ready to start my Psionics/Rokugan game:

The Great Evil Spirit has taken the form of several godzilla like creatures/landmasses that threaten to destroy the world and the Emperor wants you to kill them but first you must survive the diplomacy of the Winter Court. More tea?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-09-23, 12:30 AM
My last few RL campaigns, in reverse chronological order:

An ancient order of benevolent weretigers and their empire disappeared long ago...but unbeknownst to the PCs investigating their hidden jungle temples, they're actually rakshasas, and they're baaack....

Magic is slowly coming to ancient Earth, bringing with it the Faerie Courts, the various European pantheons, and such as former myths are made real; the Roman Empire stumbles upon That Which Man Was Not Meant To KnowTM and excrement hits the rotating air-displacement device.

An evil empire brokers a truce in the Blood War, the Lower Planes attack the Upper Planes, the Upper Planes retaliate, and Prime property values take a nosedive.

My last few PbP campaigns, also in reverse chronological order:

Tharizdun threatens to break loose; find and destroy the 333 Gems sustaining his prison before his cultists get to them or the multiverse goes splat.

An industrialized totally-not-Roman-Empire is trying to conquer totally-not-alternate-Europe; the PCs work on behalf of the Faerie Courts together with mythological Greeks and Norse to defend their homelands.

The Upper Planes are sealed off somehow, planar rifts are opening up all over the place, and the demons and devils are fighting on and over the Prime.

The last two PbP games are riffs on RL games, as you can probably tell...but hey, if someone says "Hey Dice, I wanna play in a fey campaign!" and "Hey Dice, I wanna play in a planar campaign!" I might as well start with what I used before, right?

Dsurion
2010-09-23, 07:11 AM
Run away.

Seriously, our group pissed off the wrong people and spent the campaign running from things way over our heads. It was great fun!

Malbordeus
2010-09-23, 07:16 AM
you got summoned by a Pit fiend/archon/slaad/eldarin/Djin

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-23, 07:23 AM
Famous spirits from history bond themselves to teenagers with magic powers. Hijinks ensue.

((I'll admit, Geesi's avatar caused me to write this.))

Duke of URL
2010-09-23, 07:29 AM
So what's the story? You've already won when the campaign starts. :smallbiggrin:

Do you really think that world-dominating cats are going to work with each other in peace and harmony?