PDA

View Full Version : Blessed are the Cheesemakers!

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:26 AM
Didn't someone want a thread on cheese?

My favourite cheese are fresh cheeses, ricotta and cottage cheese. Though I love a good bitey parmesan.

Roc Ness
2010-09-22, 01:29 AM
I love cheddar. Not the bitter block kind, the goey melty sandwich kind. :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 01:31 AM
What exactly is that concoction they call American cheese?

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 01:36 AM
"What's so special about them?"

I'm a fan of Cracker Barrel, especially their Vintage Tasty Cheese.
Also the soft ones, like brie. And cheese in general.
I wish I could remember where I saw the claim that you can tell when a soft cheese is ripe when it feels like a nice soft boob...

Re. American cheese: I get the impression it's like our "plastic cheese"?

factotum
2010-09-22, 01:42 AM
Cheddar for most things, but if I want to just sit and eat cheese it would have to be Stilton. Oh, and a bacon and brie butty works pretty well, too!

golentan
2010-09-22, 01:45 AM
Most cheeses, to me, taste like what they are. Rotten milk.

That said, properly prepared (melted cheese tastes better, and can compliment other things) I tend to enjoy a wide variety of cheeses, and some of the milder white cheeses such as mozzarella, or some cottage cheeses, are some of my favorite foods cold and as is.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 02:00 AM
Re. American cheese: I get the impression it's like our "plastic cheese"?

Someone else who calls it plastic cheese! I'm not alone :smallbiggrin:

I talk about plastic cheese over here and get blank looks.

I love cheese :smallsmile: Brie, parmesan (the smellier the better), plain old tasty, and vintage. I love the strong stuff - although I refuse to touch blue cheese. Also feta. Margaret River feta... mmmmm :smallsmile:

Now I want cheese...

Forevernade
2010-09-22, 02:03 AM
I love me a soft and colourful blue-vein cheese. Also brie.
Mozerella for pizza, Parmisan and Gouda for Carbonara.
Yummmmm

Innis Cabal
2010-09-22, 02:04 AM
The American Cheese which your probably refering to is processed cheese made most often with vegetable oil instead of milk fat.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-22, 02:28 AM
I don't like a lot of cheese. I like swizz and mozzarella. That's about it.

RS14
2010-09-22, 02:30 AM
I'm a big fan of Gouda. Stilton is very good too.

I'm not too fond of brie and other very soft cheeses, though baked brie with fruit is very good.

Some students at my college have just formed a cheese club, devoted to sampling various cheeses.

Mathis
2010-09-22, 02:34 AM
Oh do I -love- cheese. I love roquefort, gorgonzola, stilton and especially Fourme d'ambert! I prefer to eat them on freshly self-baked bread with a good cup of tea to accompany me, but there are several ways of enjoying them. For other types of cheese I think I prefer the Jarlsberg, the Norwegian cheese. It has a powerful, characteristic taste that nothing ever comes close to surpassing in my mind, luckily taste is completely subjective. I believe my second most favourite way of enjoying blue-veins are melted on a proper, coarse hamburger with lots of hot spices. We're talking restaurant style hamburger here, not McDonalds-style.

Skeppio
2010-09-22, 02:44 AM
Someone else who calls it plastic cheese! I'm not alone :smallbiggrin:

I talk about plastic cheese over here and get blank looks.

Weird, I call it plastic cheese and so does Rowsen. We've always called it that.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2010-09-22, 02:58 AM
Pepper Jack is my favorite; the spicier the better.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 03:19 AM
Goat cheese is nice, as is **** cheese which I don't think is any particular sort.

thubby
2010-09-22, 03:25 AM
Pepper Jack is my favorite; the spicier the better.

this, a thousand times this. especially melted on triscuits.

true, brand name american cheese is chedar, colby, and the miracle of modern food processing.
I'm kind of surprised it gets such a negative reaction. i guess it's mostly an american taste :smallconfused:

RS14
2010-09-22, 03:32 AM
I should also mention that a backpacking tradition for my college group is 2lb cheese per group (of 6). Generally agreed to be part of some of the best meals. Cheddar keeps well enough on the trail even once chopped open.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 03:38 AM
Weird, I call it plastic cheese and so does Rowsen. We've always called it that.

You're all on the east coast though, aren't you? Maybe that's why... my mother is from Sydney, so I have a lot of east-coast-of-Australia habits that don't translate well in WA.

true, brand name american cheese is chedar, colby, and the miracle of modern food processing.
I'm kind of surprised it gets such a negative reaction. i guess it's mostly an american taste :smallconfused:

Well, it if is really made from vegetable oil not milk I can understand it. Possibly just because I'm not American and so not used to it, but the whole concept of cheese made from vegetable oil kinda grosses me out.

I had baked brie once, at a friend's wedding. It was covered in some kind of breadcrumbs and had a dipping sauce (cranberry I think). It was delicious.

The_Admiral
2010-09-22, 04:01 AM
Mozzarella cheese :smallsmile:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 04:04 AM
Cheese with vegetable oil? Yuk!

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 04:42 AM
Goat cheese is nice, as is **** cheese which I don't think is any particular sort....
That's just all sorts of wrong.

"Plastic cheese":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8NL2R2bs5KQ/SfrYcM0zoRI/AAAAAAAAAQU/lkxL6oZJ3RM/s400/cheeseslice.jpg

Sir Enigma
2010-09-22, 05:20 AM

"Plastic cheese":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8NL2R2bs5KQ/SfrYcM0zoRI/AAAAAAAAAQU/lkxL6oZJ3RM/s400/cheeseslice.jpg

It could be worse - there's always "processed cheese food"

http://chickensintheroad.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_18166.jpg

My personal favourites are soft white cheeses - Brie, Camembert, some types of goat cheese etc., although I love cheese in general so there are plenty of other types I like, depending on what I'm using it for.

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 05:22 AM
...ew :smallyuk:

Anything that specifies "food", without being intended for a specific group (e.g. "baby food", "dog food") is bad news.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 05:37 AM
Yeah! That's plastic cheese :smallbiggrin:

Western Australians are all nuts :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 05:49 AM
I'll admit, I haven't tried a whole lot of cheeses, and most that I *have* tried I don't even know the names of. I like Gouda as long as it isn't old and hard, as I prefer my cheese soft. I don't mind cheddar, but most the time I see it I just think it is plastic, or some kind of kiddie clay that is safe to eat, put into thin slices.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-22, 06:01 AM
In my case, I've tried a good number of european cheeses- ranging from good old standard cheddar, red leicester and edam through to Cheshire, Jarlsberg and Sage Derby... Only thing I really dislike even the idea of is blue cheeses, even the thought of them can turn my stomach.

On the other hand, a good few years ago we discovered White Stilton, which is quite nice, especially if you can get the stuff with apricot pieces running through it.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 06:11 AM
Blah, I don't like edam, it has no flavour. I call it rubber cheese, 'cause it looks like rubber and has no taste. At least, none of the ones I've ever had have had much flavour.

Harvarti. I like harvarti... haven't had any in ages though. I should do something about that.

Tonal Architect
2010-09-22, 06:20 AM
The people who truly appreciate cheese are the DMs. Really, one can't get to love cheese more than a DM when faced with 10d6 (for a single hand) rogue's sneak attack damage, and that's before level 10. Yup, no one loves cheese more than a DM.

Seriously, though, coalho cheese lover, here, though that's a local dish. ;) Cheese goes really well with wine, as well as with some other stronger spirits. Other than that, I'm not that into cheese, but I've been trying to introduce it into my diet as a calcium source.

Other than that, I guess not many people are into rotten milk, and cheese is about that.

Lioness
2010-09-22, 06:21 AM
I'm not really much of a cheese person.

However, I love jarlsberg and edam.

And I, too, call it plastic cheese.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 06:24 AM
The people who truly appreciate cheese are the DMs. Really, one can't get to love cheese more than a DM when faced with 10d6 (for a single hand) rogue's sneak attack damage, and that's before level 10. Yup, no one loves cheese more than a DM.

Had that happen in our last session... I was not amused (but yes, the DM was).

And I, too, call it plastic cheese.

More proof for my 'it must be an east coast thing' theory. You're over east too aren't you Lioness? I got such a blank look when I first mentioned it over here. Apparently 'plastic cheese' is something else over here, but I can't remember what.

Sir Enigma
2010-09-22, 06:31 AM
More proof for my 'it must be an east coast thing' theory. You're over east too aren't you Lioness? I got such a blank look when I first mentioned it over here. Apparently 'plastic cheese' is something else over here, but I can't remember what.

Well, I'm not in Australia at all (American transplanted to Europe) and I call the American equivalent plastic cheese as well - it's spreading!

factotum
2010-09-22, 06:36 AM

"Plastic cheese":

I've always heard that stuff referred to as "processed cheese" in the UK. It's OK for use in hamburgers, but I don't think I use it for anything else!

Eadin
2010-09-22, 06:38 AM
Cheeeeese, Grommit. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

I love cheese.
Almost any cheese.
Moslty the goey ones, like brie and camembert.
Sometimes, my grandmother buys cheese with nettles in it.
Yums
Also goat cheese, with some bacon and a slice of toasted baguette. Mmmmm...
Belgium also has some yummy abbey cheeses.

Thajocoth
2010-09-22, 06:44 AM
I regularly eat:
Mozzarella - Good on pasta or pizza
Ricotta - I suspect that some of the cheese inside cheese raviolis is ricotta, though I suppose I can't be sure
American - An occasional slice for a snack
Swiss - An occasional slice for a snack
Fake - Kraft's powdered cheese isn't really cheese

Cheddar on it's own is too strong for me. My brother, when he makes macaroni & cheese, uses a blend of cheddar, american and velveeta that I can also eat, because the cheddar is diluted just enough not to be overwhelming to me.

The image above of "cheese-food" looks like velveeta. That's what velveeta is... It's a food similar to cheese that is not itself a form of cheese.

Sir Enigma
2010-09-22, 06:51 AM
The image above of "cheese-food" looks like velveeta. That's what velveeta is... It's a food similar to cheese that is not itself a form of cheese.

That's exactly what that is - I just typed "Velveeta" into google image search :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 07:02 AM
Swiss - An occasional slice for a snack

Mmmm swiss cheese :smallsmile: I love the holey stuff.

Thank you for that. I have read a few books that mentioned velveeta cheese and have always wondered what the hang it was. Now I know. I don't think I shall ever eat it though.

Thajocoth
2010-09-22, 07:33 AM
Mmmm swiss cheese :smallsmile: I love the holey stuff.

Thank you for that. I have read a few books that mentioned velveeta cheese and have always wondered what the hang it was. Now I know. I don't think I shall ever eat it though.

I think it's specifically a cheddar knock-off. Milder, obviously, since I can eat it without any problems.

I guess that makes it an american cheese knock-off, since american cheese is simply a mild cheddar. (I don't eat Kraft's american cheese... They're not the only brand to make it, and I don't really like the texture of their cheese. What I eat comes in a large brick, still pre-sliced, but not individually wrapped.)

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-22, 07:59 AM
*wonders in, dressed as typical Dutch 1800's farmer*

Cheeeeeese, for sale! Annny kind of cheese you can dream of!

So my question, is Netherlands, among other things, still known for it's cheese?

Ps. Gouda is a city in the Netherlands which produced a lot of that kind of cheese. So the cheese got called Gouda.

Assassin89
2010-09-22, 08:17 AM
I like cheese, primarily mozzarella, cheddar, Havarti, and Swiss. I find American a little bland, and I have also eaten some varieties of goat cheese, though I am not so sure on the specifics.

Rockphed
2010-09-22, 09:27 AM

Why are we honoring the evil, yellow-colored food-plastic with the title "Cheese?" Surely we have better things to do with our time. [/snob]

Personally, I prefer sharp cheddars to just about anything else. Not that I have much experience with cheese, but I decidedly find lesser cheddars, well, lesser. They don't have the same sort of flavor.

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-22, 09:30 AM
I do like a bit of Gorgonzola.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-22, 10:23 AM
*wonders in, dressed as typical Dutch 1800's farmer*

Cheeeeeese, for sale! Annny kind of cheese you can dream of!

So my question, is Netherlands, among other things, still known for it's cheese?

Ps. Gouda is a city in the Netherlands which produced a lot of that kind of cheese. So the cheese got called Gouda.

Yes, we know of Gouda... I personally have also come across Maasdam (which I believe comes from the Netherlands), and how could I not have come across Edam?

Mando Knight
2010-09-22, 11:19 AM
I find American a little bland,
That's because it's not so much cheese as it is cheap yellow cheese-like substitute.

I prefer sharp cheddar, though mozzarella is good on pizza, and swiss and provolone are good on sandwiches...

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 11:43 AM
I like cheese, primarily mozzarella, cheddar, Havarti, and Swiss. I find American a little bland, and I have also eaten some varieties of goat cheese, though I am not so sure on the specifics.

Ah yes, mozzarella! I forgot that one. A bit bland, but otherwise very good eating. Italian cheeses are also often very nice. I'm no fan of French or Swiss cheeses though.

Zanaril
2010-09-22, 11:46 AM
Roquefort with pickled beetroot. Somehow it works.

RS14
2010-09-22, 11:49 AM
On the other hand, a good few years ago we discovered White Stilton, which is quite nice, especially if you can get the stuff with apricot pieces running through it.

I tried that and was disappointed. White Stilton just don't seem to have much flavor at all.

Gullara
2010-09-22, 03:20 PM
My favorite cheese is... well cheese. I have yet to try a cheese I did not like. Anything from blue cheese to cheddar to cream cheese. Its all delicious.

Eldan
2010-09-22, 04:51 PM
We have a company around here which makes Bries with fillings. Chilli brie is quite delicious, but the best, if most expensive, is truffle brie.

Otherwise, I like cheeses with strong taste. Vachérin Mont d'or is delicious in small doses if it's the right age and temperature and almost totally liquid. Or some of the less extreme ones, like Gruyère. I think I can eat unlimited amounts of Gruyère.

And I also hate it when people refer to american Emmental knock-off as "swiss". We have a few hundred kinds of cheese, and that is not one of them. Also, Emmental really is the only cheese with such big holes I know.

And why do people just call it "goat cheese"? What kind of goat cheese? There are quite different goat cheeses around.

Edit: Of course, Ziger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schabziger) can also be referred to as cheese. Though it's quite different from most others. For one thing, it's green.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-22, 05:43 PM
We have a company around here which makes Bries with fillings. Chilli brie is quite delicious, but the best, if most expensive, is truffle brie.

[snip]

Edit: Of course, Ziger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schabziger) can also be referred to as cheese. Though it's quite different from most others. For one thing, it's green.

Agreed on the chilli brie, and a favourable mention to brie with peppercorns...

Also, Britain also has a green cheese... Ladies and gentlemen, I present Sage Derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Derby)

Concrete
2010-09-22, 06:05 PM
Gorgonzola with crackers or gingerbread...
A really nice Parmesan on pasta...
Brown goat cheese...
Grevé.....
Cheap, strange, rubberish, cheeseburgers at three O'clock in the morning after a night of heavy drinking...

Cheese is awesome.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 06:19 PM
How about some nice Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

And here's another strange thing I have found: cheez whiz on steak...how can you ruin a steak like that?

Trog
2010-09-22, 07:02 PM
Brie. I loooooove brie on crackers and with some nice Reisling. Mmmmm...

Also: Deep fried cheese curds. I'm beginning to realize that there are many places in the U.S. and possibly elsewhere that doesn't have this sort of thing. But let me tell you that stuff is gooooooood. P= Also totally bad for you but eh, whatchagonnado.

Beyond that I eat all sorts: Cheddar, Parmesean, Co-jack, Mozzarella, Colby, Nacho cheese dip for Nachos... mmm... Nachos. And all kinds of others I'm surely overlooking. Oh! And Amish-made "squeaky" cheese curds. Though I can never just eat those (or any cheese, really) plain - always needs crackers.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 07:15 PM
Had ricotta pancakes at Dymocks in Syd once, one more reason why I love to go there. :smallbiggrin:

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-22, 08:23 PM
I like most, if not all, kinds of cheese. Particularly cheddar. Because, y'know.

Wisconsinite.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 08:30 PM
Had ricotta pancakes at Dymocks in Syd once, one more reason why I love to go there. :smallbiggrin:

They give you food at Dymocks? :smallconfused:

Despite not really liking bland cheeses, I will happily sit and eat handfuls of mozzerella if we happen to have any. I think I just like the stringy :smallsmile:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 08:33 PM
Yeah, there's a cafe on the top floor. Has been there as long as I can remember. Their Mediterranean platter is nice too, but ask for olives.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-22, 08:52 PM
Huh. Here the only bookstore you can get food in is Borders.

Then again, there aren't very many Dymocks around. I can only think of two off the top of my head.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 08:55 PM
Though it must be said, that the Dymocks on George Street in Sydney where they do have the cafe is frigging huge. Four floors and the cafe is on the top floor.

I think there was cheese in the medietrranean platter, I want one now but won't have the opportunity until after Xmas. :smallfrown:

And no one has spotted my reference yet, I am disappointed.

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-22, 09:44 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I present Sage Derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_Derby)

I've had Sage Derby! It's delicious!
I also like smoked gouda. And goat cheese with fruit in it.

@^:No one got my reference either.

Raistlin1040
2010-09-22, 11:05 PM
I enjoy nearly all kinds of cheese, the exception being bleu and variants of bleu. However, I've also had goat cheese (delicious) and sheep cheese (GODLIKE).

THAC0
2010-09-22, 11:27 PM
Mmm, cheese!

I'm currently in love with Port Salut cheese, paired with a good baguette.

Standard favorites include cheddar (great with beer!), asiago, gorgonzola, and good mozzarella.

I'm just getting into goat cheeses.

Also, right now I have a habenero cheddar in my fridge! :smallcool:

Serpentine
2010-09-22, 11:31 PM
They give you food at Dymocks? :smallconfused:The Angus and Robertson in Albury had a cafe.
And no one has spotted my reference yet, I am disappointed.If you mean the thread title, then:
"What's so special about them?"

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 11:49 PM
Not talking about the thread title, talking about a post I made since then as we were all discussing different types of cheese.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-23, 12:12 AM
Don't look at me. I'm hopeless at getting references...

I have to say, I'm not a fan of goats cheese. Husband bought me some goats milk feta a while ago - and it had the texture of rubber. It was horrible.

RebelRogue
2010-09-23, 12:17 AM
I'm not a big cheese eater as such; I don't do the bread and cheese stuff, really. But I do love using it when cooking: cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, gorgonzola and feta (to name the most obvious) are all things I use regularly in my dishes. I guess, I mostly like it when it plays a supporting role.

Bhu
2010-09-23, 12:22 AM
I do like me some cheese. especially the Habanero cheese i get at the local grocery

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-23, 05:17 AM
Not talking about the thread title, talking about a post I made since then as we were all discussing different types of cheese.

You mean the reference to Monty Python's cheese shop sketch... Would have picked up on that sooner apart from needing sleep.

RebelRogue
2010-09-23, 05:19 AM
You mean the reference to Monty Python's cheese shop sketch... Would have picked up on that sooner apart from needing sleep.
Wrong sketch, I'm afraid... (well, it's been referenced too).

Assassin89
2010-09-23, 07:19 AM
Isn't the title a reference to Monty Python's Life of Brian?

I had marscapone ice cream once. It was delicious.

THAC0
2010-09-23, 10:58 AM
I had marscapone ice cream once. It was delicious.

marscapone in all forms is delicious.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-23, 06:26 PM
Gruyère (Höhlengereift and Le Gruyère Premier Cru), Feta, Livno,

Eldan
2010-09-23, 06:36 PM
So... Goat cheeses.

I've had Cabri gatineau only once. It's delicious. Need to get more. Normally, I just get Chèvre bleu or Caprino or something.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-23, 08:47 PM

No, you are right. Cookie if you find the post, though.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-23, 10:45 PM
No, you are right. Cookie if you find the post, though.

It was the one mentioning Venezuelan Beaver Cheese... that good enough, or do I need to edit in a quote?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-23, 11:14 PM
*hands Mercenary pen cookie*

Enjoy!

What about cheese-based deserts like cheesecake?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-23, 11:28 PM
Stilton Blue Cheese. I become practically addicted to the stuff when I had the moolah to waste on $10 a small wedge.

Oh man, mouth watering.

I'm a bit cheese lover... but who the heck thought that Limburger would be a good idea? It tastes worse than it smells, and we all know how it smells. Its like rot instead of cheese.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 11:34 PM
I don't mind cheddar, but most the time I see it I just think it is plastic, or some kind of kiddie clay that is safe to eat, put into thin slices.

Tell you what, get a slice of medium cheddar and a slice of Kraft american cheese. Eat them. You'll discover a VAST gulf between them. They may look the same, but one is delicious and the other is particularly stiff grease. :smallyuk:

Eldan
2010-09-24, 05:54 AM
*hands Mercenary pen cookie*

Enjoy!

Cheesecake is a desert? That's normally a main course around here.

RebelRogue
2010-09-24, 06:18 AM
Lovely! As is tiramisu or just about any other dessert using mascarpone. Pie with balsamic-marinated strawberries and mascarpone creme is another fave of mine. Ricotta is nice for desserts too.

Adumbration
2010-09-24, 06:59 AM
I only eat edam on bread - though it's quite flavorless, it does accentuate the taste of butter and bread quite nicely.

Other cheeses I like only in cooking and food - for example, cheddar or some other fatty cheese is essential in creamy sauces and such like. Cheese on pizza is quite good too.

dehro
2010-09-24, 07:15 AM
imho the only decent cheese on the planet are italian, french and a few exceptions.. such as dutch cheese (which however is mostly the same cheese with tiny variations depending on the product's "age")
in my 3 years of living in the UK I have yet to find a cheese that is any good without being a rip-off of french cheese..
..and a brit who prefers english cheese over continental ones once they've tried both.

I love a bit of parmesan, gorgonzola, goat cheese, italian sheep cheese (toscano is the better variety in my opinion).. mozzarella.. brie.. cammembert... oud belegen, brokkelkaas..

I guess it shows I'm an opinionated cheese fan:smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-24, 03:05 PM
Baby bells you get in those string bags of six are edam cheese, right? My parents used to get them for me and my sisters as treats as well as other mini cheeses from pick n mix. They don't do pick n mix now, only baby bell.

And I've actually made cheese, just ricotta but we had to use a lot of rennet to get it to separate into curds and whey. Rennet was VERY hard to get, had to go to a dairy. But it is nice watching it separate, draining it in cheesecloth then pressing the curds and the whey runs all over your hands.

deuxhero
2010-09-24, 03:09 PM
I prefer something in the area of mozzarella or provolone.

Eldan
2010-09-24, 03:34 PM
I've tried making cheese a few times, but it never worked well.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-24, 06:55 PM
Temperature is very important too. You need to have it a certain and constant temperature before you add the rennet.

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-24, 06:56 PM
Baby bells you get in those string bags of six are edam cheese, right? My parents used to get them for me and my sisters as treats as well as other mini cheeses from pick n mix. They don't do pick n mix now, only baby bell.

I don't think you'll find that Edam and Babybel are the same... I find there's a significant difference in flavour between them.

metlink
2010-09-24, 06:59 PM
Alright, I saw this thread and I absolutely (And sadly) couldn't resist posting. I tried cheeses from different animals- cows, goats, ewe's and sheep. My favourite is an aged Swiss Gruyere, but Danish blue and Greek kefalotyri are tied for second. New Zealand 's sheep milk cheese was good, but not like the Gruyere! Now I am hungry...!

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-24, 07:00 PM
I tried cheeses from different animals- cows, goats, ewe's and sheep.

I hate to say this, but ewes are sheep- specifically female sheep.

metlink
2010-09-24, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I realized that after I posted! Oops! The point still stands with the cheese!

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-24, 07:06 PM
Apparently, motzerella is traditionally made with buffalo milk.

Eldan
2010-09-24, 07:24 PM
Well, of course. Only the cheap factory knock-off is made with cow's milk. And the difference is enormous. Texture, smell, taste, all totally different.

Marnath
2010-09-24, 10:47 PM
Apparently, motzerella is traditionally made with buffalo milk.

I call shenanigans. Wasn't Motzarella invented in Italy? Aren't there no buffalo in europe? :smallconfused:

nihilism
2010-09-24, 10:49 PM
im surprised only one person has mentioned sheep cheese,

my favorites are hyper expensive (so depressing) truffle pecorino, cranberry wensleydale (?), sage derby and an unbelievable strong Quebecois cheese cheese called oka.

marnath thou art wrong, mozzarella is traditionally made with buffalo milk (delicious). the american compressed stuff you grate on pizza isn't mozzarella.

RebelRogue
2010-09-24, 10:56 PM
I call shenanigans. Wasn't Motzarella invented in Italy? Aren't there no buffalo in europe? :smallconfused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozzarella

MonkeyBusiness
2010-09-24, 11:06 PM
Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit the burp ...

I like chevre ... out where I live there's a small company that makes a chevre with lavender in it ... unlike many things that have lavender added to them because it's the "new" flavor, this is actually surprisingly good.

Plain chevre is good too. Try it with figs. Mmmmm ...

Marnath
2010-09-24, 11:17 PM

Water buffalo, right. I feel stupid now.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-24, 11:17 PM
has anyone ever had Muenster cheese?

thubby
2010-09-25, 12:01 AM
has anyone ever had Muenster cheese?

i have. kinda bland if you ask me.

nihilism
2010-09-25, 12:55 AM
A toast to mozzarella, that it may continue to render our tomato salads delicious

metlink
2010-09-25, 04:54 AM

Well, it's true, you do learn something new everyday. Now to see if I can procure a sample of this. Yum yum!

nihilism
2010-09-25, 04:13 PM
buffalo mozzarella with really good tomatoes, lots of fresh basil and avocado with a little balsamic vinaigrette.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-25, 04:41 PM
FTR, tomatoes don't come from Italy, but can you imagine Italian food without them?

Cream cheese is lovelly, particularly phillie. Though why people in that place choose to spoil a steak with cheez whiz is beyond me.

Eldan
2010-09-25, 04:48 PM
Tomatoes are originally from the Americas. For a while, everyone in Europe thought they were poisonous, except those crazy Italians, who put them on everything. :smalltongue:

Octopus Jack
2010-09-25, 05:10 PM
Cheese! I love cheese, I went cheese tasting at a food festival today! Well I say cheese tasting it was more of grabbing as many free samples from various stalls as I could and alot of them happened to be cheese samples.

All sorts of Cheese are good, well most sorts.

I tried Cheddar with mango today, was suprisingly good!

Lord Loss
2010-09-25, 05:15 PM
French Emmental, Monterey Jack, Mozza and Provolone make up my favorite kinds of cheese, however, this ''Pepper Jack'' intrigues me...

Iferus
2010-09-25, 05:42 PM
So here I am, yet another Dutchman. I was born in the city with the world's most famous cheese market.

As far as Dutch cheese goes, I like the "regular" cheese (that which you know as Gouda) in all it's ages and komijnenkaas cheese (which I don't think is well known, I couldn't even find an English translation).

Internationally, I'm not a big fan of brie (too bland) and cheddar(tastes AND looks like plastic O_o). I do like a good camembert and many other strong and partially liquid cheeses.

Ooh, and a honorable mention goes to Port Salut.

Bhu
2010-09-25, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vymXC0Cnxw

<huge mozzarella fan

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-25, 06:50 PM
I tried Cheddar with mango today, was suprisingly good!

I routinely stick mango chutney in sandwiches with cheddar... really nice combination...

Serpentine
2010-09-25, 11:02 PM
FTR, tomatoes don't come from Italy, but can you imagine Italian food without them?How about Irish food without potatoes?

Rockphed
2010-09-27, 12:46 PM
FTR, tomatoes don't come from Italy, but can you imagine Italian food without them?

Sure, just use lots of Pesto and Alfredo. Personally, I prefer tomato sauces to either of those, but I could live with them.

All this is making me want to go buy cheese, which is currently outside my poor college student's budget. :smallfrown:

Lolzords
2010-09-27, 02:45 PM
I can't stand american cheese, it's all squicky and tastes like plastic (yes I removed the packaging:smallmad:), bleh.

My favourite cheese has to be extra mature Pilgrims Choice cheddar, nice and sharp just how I like it, and it makes a mean toastie (complete with hot sauce or reggae reggae, of course :smallwink:)

Stadge
2010-09-27, 05:55 PM
How about Irish food without potatoes?

It's scary, I have an Irish friend at uni who actually gets ridiculously excited at the prospect of having 2 or more different types of potato in the same meal. The only time he has shown a similiar level of excitement on a non potato matter was when he learned that he'd essentially be getting two Christmasses (Christmasi? :smallconfused:)

Anyway, to attempt to stay on topic, cheese eh?

Not very original, but a good stilton is magnificent. Either with port or melted atop a nice, rare steak.

Oh and I have to support my county and say that Lancashire cheese is excellent, whether creamy or crumbly. Actually I think I'd support it without the local ties, but I guess it may bias me slightly. Definitly not my favourite sandwich cheese, but broken roughly into scrambled egg it becomes some kind of angelic dairy product, made from the milk of celestial cows. Also a block of creamy Lancashire has to be my favourite cheese to take and eat in the cinema. Anyone else in the habbit of having cheese-cinema-consumables? (Snacks may have been a better word there, but I do like alliteration from time to time)

Eldan
2010-09-27, 06:31 PM
Hey, different kinds of potato can be very different.
Just try to make mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes and potato salad all from the same kind.

Stadge
2010-09-27, 06:40 PM
Hey, different kinds of potato can be very different.
Just try to make mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, fried potatoes and potato salad all from the same kind.

Oh I know, I wasnt disputing the matter, just noting the strange glee that entered his being when faced with two of the above types of potato in the same meal.

Also, so this potato talk isn't completley redundant, potatoes with cheese anyone?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-27, 06:44 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

With sour cream too.

Eldan
2010-09-27, 06:51 PM
Hey, I'm from Switzerland. 90% of our traditional meals have cheese in them. Some are cheese and nothing else, i.e. Fondue (blergh).

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-27, 09:03 PM
Fondue is nice.

Eldan
2010-09-27, 09:05 PM
Yeah, but an entire meal consisting only of cheese, alcohol and a little bread just never seemed right to me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-27, 09:13 PM
I routinely stick mango chutney in sandwiches with cheddar... really nice combination...

I discovered this delicious combination while in England. It is not my favourite sandwhich, alongside Brie and cranberry.

The_Snark
2010-09-28, 12:52 AM
Ah, cheese. A disclaimer: I live on the west coast of the USA, so most of the cheeses I mention are going to be the American equivalent. When I say mozzarella it'll be the cow-milk version; when I say Swiss cheese I mean that generic not-really-Swiss cheese with all the holes that you get over here; when I say cheddar I mean the actual cheese, not the eerie cheese-substitute stuff. As far as I know, the synthetic cheese-things in the grocery store don't claim to be any variety of cheese; I suspect the reason they get conflated is because cheddar is (at least around where I grew up) the most common variety of cheese. It's the default, if you will; if someone talks about cheese without saying what kind, most people assume they mean cheddar. (Unless pizza is involved, in which case the default is mozzarella.)

Perhaps because of overexposure as a child, I'm not that fond of cheddar.

Same goes for mozzarella, and provolone for that matter; both of them feel a bit too bland to me. They're all right on pizza, but if I can possibly arrange to have parmesan and ricotta added into the mix, I do. Those are probably among my favorite cheeses.

I like brie and camembert on crackers, as well as several goat cheeses whose names I can't recall at the moment. In fact, I like almost all spreadable cheeses. I feel like some of them wouldn't normally have enough flavor to appeal to me, so I guess I have different standards when crackers are involved?

What else, let's see... I firmly believe that the asiago bagel is the pinnacle of modern bagel technology, I occasionally have Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but not that often... and oh yes, someone mentioned...

I should also mention that a backpacking tradition for my college group is 2lb cheese per group (of 6). Generally agreed to be part of some of the best meals. Cheddar keeps well enough on the trail even once chopped open.

This! Cheese is an excellent backpacking food: lots of protein and fat, not as much liquid content as other dairy products. Liquid is heavy and therefore bad when you're trying to keep your backpack's weight down, so that rules out most meat too. Cheese, nuts, and dried meat are the primary three sources of protein when you're hiking.

My family used to bring mozzarella when I was younger, but most of us have since switched to other cheeses. All cheeses have a tendency to get oily after a few days of hiking—the sun absolutely bakes whatever's inside your backpack when you're at altitude—but mozzarella is especially prone to sweating grease. You can still eat it—it tastes perfectly normal, and if it's too unappetizing you can always just put off lunch until you're too hungry to care—but you have to bring an extra plastic bag to make sure it doesn't leak, and why bother if you can avoid it?

Gruyere, Jarlsberg, and parmesan are my personal favorite backpacking cheeses, both because they don't get as oily and because they're awesome cheeses in general.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-09-28, 11:53 PM
It really depends on the situation. Parm or Mozzarella for pizza, Bleu on burgers or salads, Swiss is good on most sandwiches, Brie for crackers etc. But if I had to pick one more universal cheese, I have two selections. Parmesan Reggiano, or a sharp Wisconsin white cheddar. The latter is phenomenal when making homemade mac and cheese.

Serpentine
2010-09-29, 12:08 AM
Anyone else call parmesan (or at least that pre-grated crumble-inna-can) "chuck cheese" or similar?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-29, 12:11 AM
You put that on pasta, it smells like sick. :smalleek:

factotum
2010-09-29, 01:09 AM
You put that on pasta, it smells like sick. :smalleek:

It does even if you DON'T put it on pasta... :smallwink:

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 02:22 AM
Personally, I like my cheeses hard, not squishy - any of the squishy cheeses I've had have been awful, or at the very least not to my liking. Some cheese spreads, however, are acceptable, like Rondelee/Boursin.

As for favorite cheese, I think it's a tie between cheddar so sharp that it could cut itself, or smoked gouda so smoked that...actually, I don't really have a good one there. But yeah.

Best cheese-combination: Real Alaskan smoked salmon + cream cheese + Triscuit. Go.

Serpentine
2010-09-29, 02:25 AM
So smoked it's got lung cancer? :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 03:22 AM
So smoked it's got lung cancer? :smalltongue:

Yeah, that's gouda enough for me. GEDDIT?! IT WORKS ON MULTIPLE LEVELS.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-29, 08:06 AM
Best cheese-combination: Real Alaskan smoked salmon + cream cheese + Triscuit. Go.

You fool! It must be that great Jewish specialty: lox and philly cream cheese on a bagel! It must be lox, and it must be philly (ok, not really), but it REALLY must be a bagel!
And then you top it off with some red onions and some capers. All the strong flavours, set back by the neutral cream cheese... it's delicious.

http://www.acicateringgroup.com/images/lox-and-bagels.jpg

Edit: I don't know why that picture appears to have tomato on it. That is just wrong.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 08:08 AM
You fool! It must be that great Jewish specialty: lox and philly cream cheese on a bagel! It must be lox, and it must be philly (ok, not really), but it REALLY must be a bagel!
And then you top it off with some red onions and some capers. All the strong flavours, set back by the neutral cream cheese... it's delicious.

http://www.acicateringgroup.com/images/lox-and-bagels.jpg

Edit: I don't know why that picture appears to have tomato on it. That is just wrong.

Oh, funny story on that note. So I was helping my friend move, and his stepmother offers to get us breakfast. She asks what I want, I say I'm not really sure, and she says "How about a bagel with lox?" and I go "Why sure! That sounds fantastic!"
The joke is she was playing at my being Jewish, and I fell into her trap and didn't even realize it for a day until my friend told me. Oh stereotypes being true.

EDIT: Also, I see no tomato, but I do see Red Onion, aka The Bane of Deth Muncher's Existence.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-29, 08:11 AM
Oh, funny story on that note. So I was helping my friend move, and his stepmother offers to get us breakfast. She asks what I want, I say I'm not really sure, and she says "How about a bagel with lox?" and I go "Why sure! That sounds fantastic!"

EDIT: Also, I see no tomato, but I do see Red Onion, aka The Bane of Deth Muncher's Existence.

Oh, don't I know it! I had two Jewish friends who actually WOULD fight on the floor for a penny.

The tomato is lying on top of the right-most (I swear I meant right, when I wrote this) red onion. Loook CAAAAAAAREfully.

Serpentine
2010-09-29, 08:11 AM
"Lox"? Looks like smoked salmon, to me... Which is, indeed, my favourtest thing on a bagel, which is my favouritest bread.

Quince paste is delicious with cheese (not sure which, but I think it was sort of moderate in all regards - softer than cheddar but harder than the runny cheeses, crumblier than edam but not as crumbly as fetta, mild but distinct flavour), also.

edit: What? :smallconfused: It's easy to see, right on the right-hand side. Also, you're both crazy: red onion and tomato are both delicious with smoked salmon on a bagel.

Eldan
2010-09-29, 08:13 AM
On the right, atop the onion. Could be salmon or tomato, not really sure.

Also, what's "lox"?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-29, 08:14 AM
"Lox"? Looks like smoked salmon, to me... Which is, indeed, my favourtest thing on a bagel, which is my favouritest bread.

Quince paste is delicious with cheese (not sure which, but I think it was sort of moderate in all regards - softer than cheddar but harder than the runny cheeses, crumblier than edam but not as crumbly as fetta, mild but distinct flavour), also.

It's a little different. It's not smoked, it's cured. Smoked salmon is, well, smoked over a fire (hopefully!) while lox is cured in a vat of brine.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 08:15 AM
edit: What? :smallconfused: It's easy to see, right on the right-hand side. Also, you're both crazy: red onion and tomato are both delicious with smoked salmon on a bagel.

Oh, brain go derp. I see it now. Also, insert obligatory reference to Australia's fauna being oversized and dangerous, and how in order to get smoked salmon on a bagel in Australia you probably have to wrestle the salmon down and shove its face into a fire. (No, I'm not really trying, but that's only because I've been broken of thinking everything in Australia will kill you.)

Serpentine
2010-09-29, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I just wikied it. I'd give it a shot, but for now I'm happy with my smoked fish P:

edit: I don't even know if Australia has salmon...

Eldan
2010-09-29, 08:16 AM
Isn't that how Salmon's always done?

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I just wikied it. I'd give it a shot, but for now I'm happy with my smoked fish P:

edit: I don't even know if Australia has salmon...

Perhaps all the venomous mice got to them first?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-29, 08:17 AM
Isn't that how Salmon's always done?

Sometimes, but smoked salmon is always smoked afterwards, while lox isn't smoked, meaning it has a tarter, more sharp taste.

Serpentine
2010-09-29, 08:58 AM
Isn't that how Salmon's always done?What salmon? All salmon? :smallconfused: No.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-29, 04:00 PM
I don't even know if Australia has salmon...

We have salmon. Mostly from Tassie. Saw some at a fish n chip shop the other night, they offered it grilled with hollandaise sauce.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 05:54 PM
We have salmon. Mostly from Tassie. Saw some at a fish n chip shop the other night, they offered it grilled with hollandaise sauce.

Ooooh, that sounds scrumdiddlyicious.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-29, 06:01 PM
Not that you actually have fish n chips over there....

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 06:11 PM
Not that you actually have fish n chips over there....

Actually, fun fact: In the ghettos of [My College City], there is a lone Fish and Chips establishment. I'm curious to go try it, but I like not being mugged.