PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to get arcane casting on a non-caster?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-22, 12:18 PM
Now, we all know about all sorts of fun and crazy ways to pimp out casters, and qualify for early entry based on pumping levels...but how do you get arcane casting on a completely non-magical class, without taking class levels?

I seem to recall one eberron feat giving access to cantrips...any more?

gallagher
2010-09-22, 12:23 PM
Now, we all know about all sorts of fun and crazy ways to pimp out casters, and qualify for early entry based on pumping levels...but how do you get arcane casting on a completely non-magical class, without taking class levels?

I seem to recall one eberron feat giving access to cantrips...any more? oh i forget the feat, but there is one that allows you to UMD as if you had 1 level in a specific casting class. pick your favorite class for casting and you now have access to all their wands and scrolls.

it isnt the same thing, it wont get you into arcane prestige classes, but you will have access to spells. it makes your fighter a bit more useful at later levels

Diarmuid
2010-09-22, 12:56 PM
Complete Arcane
Communicator
Insightful
Night Haunt
Soul of the North
Spell Hand

Tyndmyr
2010-09-22, 05:37 PM
Those are all SLAs.

Are those sufficient to fulfill criteria like "must be able to spontaneously cast arcane spells"?

Eldariel
2010-09-22, 05:40 PM
Those are all SLAs.

Are those sufficient to fulfill criteria like "must be able to spontaneously cast arcane spells"?

Magical Training Regional from Player's Guide to Faerun. It's the classic way of entering Dweomerkeeper as a straight Cleric.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-22, 05:42 PM
Magical Training in PGtF may be what you're looking for.

Edit: NINJAS OH NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo.

Eldonauran
2010-09-22, 07:43 PM
Those are all SLAs.

If you don't mind ... being undead. Spellstitched Template is exactly what you are looking for. Complete Arcane / Libris Mortis

Jack_Simth
2010-09-22, 07:51 PM
Those are all SLAs.

Not under most DM's, but the aforementioned Magical Training (Player's Guide to Faerun) WILL. If you need 2nd level spells, add on Precocious Apprentice (Complete Arcane, Sidebar feat, page 181). 3rd level spells gets a little trickier, but there are ways.

Do you have a specific thing you're after?

WinWin
2010-09-22, 07:52 PM
I think it is Arcane Discipe, a feat that allows divine casting to be counted as arcane, followed by Imbue with Spell ability. Requires a divine casting ally with the relevant feat.

Not spontaneous though...But I am sure there may be a way around that.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-22, 07:56 PM
If you don't mind ... being undead. Spellstitched Template is exactly what you are looking for. Complete Arcane / Libris Mortis

Spellstitched is also all SLAs, though it's pretty much "Pay 9500 xp, cast as a Sorcerer 12 except Wisdom-based."

You can also take the Fey Legacy and/or Fiendish Legacy feats for some 4th-5th level spells.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-22, 08:00 PM
I think it is Arcane Discipe, a feat that allows divine casting to be counted as arcane, followed by Imbue with Spell ability. Requires a divine casting ally with the relevant feat.

Not spontaneous though...But I am sure there may be a way around that.
Other way around - Arcane Disciple adds a domain to your arcane class list. They're still arcane spells, and still need to be taken as spells known.

If you do already have a caster class, there's feats to make them count as either arcane or divine - Southern Magician (Races of Faerun) or Alternative Source Spell (Dragon 325) do the job.

Lans
2010-09-22, 08:00 PM
Kobolds have like 3 ways to do this.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-22, 08:13 PM
Kobolds have like 3 ways to do this.
And they can be combined. Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage casts as a Sorcerer-3, with no actual Sorcerer levels, yes. If you can add the White Dragonspawn template on top, that becomes Sorcerer-4 casting, with an LA of +1.

Thurbane
2010-09-22, 09:34 PM
If extremely cheesy 3rd party is allowed, the 1/2 Rakshasa template in Bastards & Bloodlines give Sorcerer casting equal to 1/2 your HD.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-23, 04:41 PM
Magical Training Regional from Player's Guide to Faerun. It's the classic way of entering Dweomerkeeper as a straight Cleric.

That'll do. It was originally for someone seeking to enter Dragon Disciple, but he got me thinking about the utility of doing that in general.