PDA

View Full Version : Horror Adventure for a new DM [3.PF]

maysarahs
2010-09-22, 02:45 PM
I am going to start off my first DM game ever with a month long horror adventure, to culminate on halloween (meet the woman ghost on that night (see below))

For those that are interested, my idea goes like this:
The PC's are all traveling, and looking for shelter for the night, so they decide to check out a decrepit mansion. Since none of them will know each other (im trying not to start the campaign with "you are all in a tavern") I'll roll randomly for each of the PC's to start in one of two starting rooms, and then have them explore the house. I think I'll have all of them meet up in a room after they have been scared/ attacked a little bit (individually) so they will be a little jumpy. At the end of the adventure, at the top of the mansion they will meet a ghost woman who was the wife of the master of the house. She will reveal that the tainted nature of the house is a remnant of the torturous things he did (I think I'll have him "consort with unfathomable evils not of any plane"). She will ask them to find her husband and avenge her [plot hook!], and his prisoners deaths (I'm thinking he will be a necromancer/alienist for the flavor?)

Since it is my first DM session, I was interested in knowing if there were any tricks of the trade, or any advice you guys could give on adding a scary and suspenseful element to an adventure, any appropriate monsters to throw at them, the like. Thank you Playground!

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 02:51 PM
Never underestimate RL flavor. Low lighting, spooky music, etc.

Practice your creepy voices.

Less is more. Have them roll random spot/listen checks. Give them random creepy noises and sights that have nothing to do with anything.

maysarahs
2010-09-22, 05:40 PM
What should be the cr adjustment for someone under permanent insanity? Also is it feasible for them to go against undead at a low level? I think they will be either first or third level

big teej
2010-09-22, 06:45 PM
1. perfect you're evil laugh
2. have low lighting (just enough to read the dice and character sheets is best)
3. play nox arcana as loudly as you can without it interfering with conversation.
4. stay away from jokes like the plauge, and anything else that will break the mood.

Grommen
2010-09-22, 09:32 PM
Don't forget to roll out the occasional Horror Check. Ya know when they witness something truly creepy.

It's in the 3.0 Ravenloft books, but to sum it up.

When they witness something truly horrid (not just someone getting kill, but like getting mashed in a meat grinder and turned to paste) make them all roll a Will check. DC is up to you. If they pass, that is great, but boring. When they fail....:smallbiggrin: They develop some form of phobia to the event. Perhaps it's nightmares that slowly drive them insane, might just be that they freeze up if they ever see something similar. Worse they fail that check.....the more fun we have.