PDA

View Full Version : Do wish/miracle allow retraining?

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 03:51 PM
I know it's not in the list on the SRD. Is it within wish to retrain a feat? I'm debating taking a level in master of many forms, but I'd want to swap natural spell for endurance.

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-22, 03:58 PM
Sure, just emulate Psychic Reformation.

Emmerask
2010-09-22, 03:59 PM
If you play with psionic transparency and you are willing to pay the additional xp costs I donīt see a problem (Psychic reformation being a 4th level "spell" then)

Otherwise ask your dm nicely? ^^

Mikeavelli
2010-09-22, 04:00 PM
Its not spelled out in the srd anywhere, but its come up in my games while dm'ing, and never caused any problems or balance issues. Should be possible to convince your dm to allow it.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-22, 04:02 PM
I know it's not in the list on the SRD. Is it within wish to retrain a feat? I'm debating taking a level in master of many forms, but I'd want to swap natural spell for endurance.

That has to be the worst trade ever. Of all time.

Seriously, you'd be better off selling organs than making that trade.

Emmerask
2010-09-22, 04:03 PM
Sure, just emulate Psychic Reformation.

Problem is that Wish only talks about spells not powers without transparency rules the dm would have a point to tell you no, with them not really.

about transparency rules:

Psionics-Magic Transparency

Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 04:05 PM
That has to be the worst trade ever. Of all time.

Seriously, you'd be better off selling organs than making that trade.

Master of Many forms allows you to cast spells in any form as well as gain telepathy for a single-level dip. Endurance is a prerequisite.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-22, 04:09 PM
Master of Many forms allows you to cast spells in any form as well as gain telepathy for a single-level dip. Endurance is a prerequisite.

As I've never read the class, I didn't know that. What level does it get that ability (because if it isn't right off the bat you are going to want to wait).

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 04:18 PM
As I've never read the class, I didn't know that. What level does it get that ability (because if it isn't right off the bat you are going to want to wait).

1st level. I'd have to double-check with my DM that somatic components still work, but it states that you can speak normally in your chosen form, including verbal components. It also grants wild shape (humanoid). I was only planning a one-level dip.

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-22, 06:09 PM
If it's just a feat switch that you want then just use the Chaos Shuffle. Much cheaper and easier.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 06:12 PM
If it's just a feat switch that you want then just use the Chaos Shuffle. Much cheaper and easier.

Where is this found?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-22, 06:20 PM
Where is this found?

The chaos shuffle is trick done by using the spell Embrace the dark chaos (FC I) to turn one feat into an abysal inheritor feat, then use Shun the dark chaos spell (also in FCI) to turn it into any feat you qualify for.

The whole procces cost the casting of two level 8(I think) spells and IIRC 1000 XP for the xp cost of the spells.

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 10:18 PM
The chaos shuffle is trick done by using the spell Embrace the dark chaos (FC I) to turn one feat into an abysal inheritor feat, then use Shun the dark chaos spell (also in FCI) to turn it into any feat you qualify for.

The whole procces cost the casting of two level 8(I think) spells and IIRC 1000 XP for the xp cost of the spells.

That...sounds incredibly cheesy. And would probably result in flying DMG. Anyways these wishes are dropped as rewards, not cast.

Keld Denar
2010-09-22, 10:23 PM
OMGOGGLEZ! An Emperor Tippy sighting!!! Someone mark the journal!

Been a while, how's it goin? :smallcool:

Snake-Aes
2010-09-22, 10:26 PM
That...sounds incredibly cheesy. And would probably result in flying DMG. Anyways these wishes are dropped as rewards, not cast.

by default, psionic/magic transparency is recommended. If your dm doesn't want to let a wish do what a lvl 4 spell does, well...

RebelRogue
2010-09-22, 10:32 PM
OMGOGGLEZ! An Emperor Tippy sighting!!! Someone mark the journal!
Haha, I thought the same thing. :smallbiggrin:

On topic: it's a wish spell! There's guidelines in the spell description, sure, but this is a spell that allows you to do just about anything. Trading a good feat for a bad one should be a possibility even if you cannot find it in the RAW list of possible effects.

Lysander
2010-09-22, 10:46 PM
Wish does whatever your DM says it does. If you ask for some reasonable, then yes, wish should be able to do it. Retraining a feat seems perfectly fine, as long as it wasn't used as a prerequisite for a class you already have.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-22, 10:47 PM
If you have high con and low wis you can use endurance to qualify for that feat that lets you use con instead of wis for will saves :).

WarKitty
2010-09-22, 10:48 PM
If you have high con and low wis you can use endurance to qualify for that feat that lets you use con instead of wis for will saves :).

Ummm I'm a caster-focused druid. Low wis would cause a LOT of problems. The only reason at all to take endurance is for that single dip.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-22, 10:50 PM
Wish does whatever your DM says it does in addition to copying the effects of spells. If you ask for some reasonable, then yes, wish should be able to do it. Retraining a feat seems perfectly fine, as long as it wasn't used as a prerequisite for a class you already have.

FTFY. At the very least, Wish is always able to mimic spells. Denying that ability is practically burning the PHB (which isn't that bad of an idea, but I digress).

Diarmuid
2010-09-22, 10:59 PM
1st level. I'd have to double-check with my DM that somatic components still work, but it states that you can speak normally in your chosen form, including verbal components. It also grants wild shape (humanoid). I was only planning a one-level dip.

I think this is probably the biggest concern you should have. Somatic and lets not forget about the ever important material components for spells as well. Simply being able to talk in your forms is not carte blanch to cast in that form.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-22, 11:00 PM
Ummm I'm a caster-focused druid. Low wis would cause a LOT of problems. The only reason at all to take endurance is for that single dip.

Yea, I kinda figured that much but mentioned is since there are a couple ways to get into momf without needing much in the way of casting abilities :).