PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Boomerang thoughts...

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-22, 04:34 PM
I recently read the Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide and I really loved it. But one of the weapons in the equipment chapter bugged me, the boomerang. Here is the entry:

Boomerang: The boomerang is primarily a hunting tool,
but it is not uncommon for these versatile thrown weapons
to be carried into battle. A boomerang is made of wood and
is flat, with a long haft, a pronounced forward curve, and
a sharp backward bend at the head. A thrown boomerang does not fly in a returning path; returning boomerangs are solely recreational.

Boomerang 3 gp 1d4 (S) 1d6 (M) x2 30 ft. 3 lbs. B see text

Now compare that to the dirt standard club:

Club — 1d4 (S) 1d6 (M) ×2 10 ft. RI 3 lbs. B

Other than the weights being absurd, the only thing separating them is the range increment. Yet the boomerang is listed as an exotic weapon. An exotic weapon? For an increase of twenty feet in range? That seems mightly silly to me.

So I propose that the boomerang be classed as a martial weapon and we create an exotic version that reads as follows:

Boomerang, War 3 gp 1d4 (S) 1d6 (M) x2 30 ft. 3 lbs. B see text

Boomerang, War: The war boomerang is a more aerodynamic version of the standard hunting boomerang. When used by a proficient user the war boomerang returns to the 5' square that it was launched from it it misses it's intended target. It returns at the end of the combat round. To catch the war boomerang requires a Reflex save against a DC 15. The war boomerang is an exotic weapon.

OR, if you like a deadlier version:

Boomerang, Heavy 3 gp 1d6 (S) 1d8 (M) x2 30 ft. 3 lbs. B see text

Boomerang, Heavy: The heavy boomerang is larger and more carefully crafted than a standard hunting boomerang. A heavy boomerang is made of wood and is flat, with a long haft, a pronounced forward curve, and a sharp backward bend at the head. A thrown boomerang does not fly in a returning path; returning boomerangs are solely recreational. The heavy boomerang is an exotic weapon.

Either of these versions seems like a much better deal for an exotic weapon choice. I realize that I basically recreated the Thri-kreen chatkcka with the war boomerang.

Any thoughts? Such as, 'You spend far too much time thinking about weapons'.

Forged Fury
2010-09-22, 04:49 PM
Other than the weights being absurd, the only thing separating them is the range increment. Yet the boomerang is listed as an exotic weapon. An exotic weapon? For an increase of twenty feet in range? That seems mightly silly to me.
Not saying that I particularly agree with the "Boomerang as Exotic Weapon" decision, but increases in range increment for thrown weapons are a pretty big deal. Since the max range for thrown weapons = 5 range increments, you're talking a difference in Max Ranges of 50' compared to 150'. The benefit largely depends on playstyle. If your game doesn't feature much ranged combat past 50', the club is far superior (plus you can use it in melee without penalty).

With that said, you can do the same damage type (Bludgeoning) with a sling (Simple Weapon) at much greater range (50' range increment), but shrinking the damage die (1d4) in the process. Barring a houserule feat, you also can only fire a sling once per round. With the Quick Draw feat, you can chuck as many boomerangs as you want in a round up to the limits of your BAB or carrying capacity, whichever comes first.

I like the war boomerang, I think it adds enough "exoticness" to qualify for EWP.

Player3
2010-09-22, 04:56 PM
It looks like Pathfinder went with some realism with their boomerangs, which are basically clubs that are meant to be thrown. However, they were also used to break the legs or at least trip up opponents/prey at range.

If you want ones that return, you could use the Talenta and Xendrik boomerangs out of the Eberron campaign setting.

grarrrg
2010-09-22, 04:58 PM
That’s it. I’m sick of all this “Masterwork Club” bulls***hit that’s going on in the d20 system right now. Boomerangs deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I’m talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Boomerang in Austrailia for 2,400 dingo hides (that’s about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid wood with my Boomerang.

Austrailian aborigines spend years working on a single Boomerang and fold it up to once times to produce the finest Boomerang known to mankind.

Boomerang are thrice as sharp as European sticks and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a heavy stick can cut through, a Boomerang can cut through better. I’m pretty sure a Boomerang could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical throw.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Austrialia? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined aborigines and their Boomerangs of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the Boomerangs first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Boomerangs are simply the best thrown-stick-thingy that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Boomerangs:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)

1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)

2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Boomerangs in real life, don’t you think?

Sorry, it had to be done...