PDA

View Full Version : The D&D Vampire [Revised Template, PEACH]

imp_fireball
2010-09-22, 04:52 PM
The revision tries to stay with the fluff as close as possible but with a few changes to make it more plausibly mundane and with lowered LA.

Here's the original (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire)

The below quotes and spoilers are the only alterations.

The Undead Creature Type
Undead are evil.

Undead aren't inherently evil (even D&D RAW has not fully enforced this idea; check out the spell 'blasphemy', which does not specify that undead are immune), so vampires, in addition to acquiring the 'undead' creature type, now acquire the [evil] subtype.

Vampires can be of any alignment, but their [evil] subtype subjects them to things that would normally affect evil aligned creatures - at GM discretion they may also detect as evil and etc.

Even though the [evil] subtype normally only applies to evil outsiders, vampires are not always extraplanar - a vampire is usually native to the material plane unless specifically mentioned otherwise.

Blood Drain (Ex)
A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.

Thirst

As an undead, a vampire does not eat, breathe or sleep - although sleep in a coffin does protect them from the affects of daylight and they may awake at-will from this state and have no penalty to listen checks while sleeping. However, they must drink at least 2 gallons of blood each week from a living, sapient (3 Int or higher) being. Going without 2 gallons of blood for one week will cause them to begin to dehydrate from lack of thirst as a humanoid normally would.

Blood Drain (Su)

A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check (alternatively, the victim can already be helpless). If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. Each successful 'drain' counts as having drank 1/16th of a gallon of blood per point of Constitution drained.

When the victim's Constitution score is reduced to 0 as a result of blood drain, they acquire the vampire template and serve the vampire that killed them with its blood drain with the attitude of 'fanatic' (see 'diplomacy' under 'epic use of skills' in SRD) towards them. The attitude can be dispelled with only Greater Restoration, Miracle, or Wish. A simple 'cure disease' only removes the vampire template.

A creature that is not at least 4 HD less than the vampire still acquires the vampire template - but holds no loyalty towards the vampire and has no adjustment of attitude towards them.

The vampire can also choose whether or not a creature of at least 4 HD than them is loyal to them (attitude adjusted to 'fanatic') at-will at no action or dismiss them from loyalty later on - although being dismissed may deeply upset the now vampirized, former victim.

Children of the Night (Su)
Vampires command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or a pack of 3d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour.

Children of the Night (Su)
Vampires command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or a pack of 3d6 wolves as a full action that provokes AoO twice - as if it had performed two AoO provoking actions, one after the other. These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour. The ability does not stack - so it cannot be used multiple times within the same hour to create an army of ravenous critters.

Note that If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.

Dominate (Su)
A vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.

Dominate (Su)

A vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected.

After the standard action, the opponent is immediately transfixed and cannot perform any action but stare into the vampire's gaze - they cannot talk except to the vampire directly and in a non-threatening manner - at GM discretion they can talk to others but only with concentration check at a DC equal to the vampire's caster level check; 1d20 + caster level (caster level is vampire's ECL; success indicates the opponent can only speak in very short, sporadic sentences or whisper - ie. "He's -! Taking over! Help! Me -uh!").

The opponent cannot resist external influences forced upon them such as damage, however, being knocked away from the range of the gaze (10ft.) certainly will end the effect of the vampire's dominate over them; meaning their transfixed state is removed and the vampire must perform another dominate action (standard) to transfix them again.

The vampire can perform no actions during these two rounds except those that would affect the opponent of his gaze in a non-dangerous manner (such as grabbing them in an embrace, but not using Blood Drain (Su), or otherwise damaging them, as that would break the target from transfixion/immobilization). They must retain concentration with the target - being damaged requires a concentration check as if they were a caster attempting to cast a spell - note that the combat casting feat thus benefits the vampire on the check to resist. Lost concentration means that the target is no longer transfixed and is wholly unaffected by the vampire's dominate, beyond being transfixed for however long they were.

A transfixed target that remains so for two rounds or more is immobilized. Beyond that point, a vampire can place one of two mind altering conditons on them with a simple command word that is thought instead of spoken as a swift or immediate action.

With the command word, the vampire's immobilized target must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by only one of two effects (vampire's choice; caster level is vampire's ECL) - either Charm Monster (Su) or Lesser Geas (Su), as the spells.

The duration of charm monster is permanent and requires that the creature understand the vampire's language - the vampire can also adjust the attitude of the target into fanatic by applying a -4 negation to their caster level for purposes of the will DC to avoid.

The vampire's dominate ability has a range of 30ft., however the target must be within 10ft. to be transfixed. If not, the vampire must expend yet another standard action to cast Suggestion (Su) (as the spell), and command that they move within range - they cannot demand any other order with this special use of the supernatural ability.

Gaseous Form (Su)
As a standard action, a vampire can assume gaseous form at will as the spell (caster level 5th), but it can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Gaseous Form (Su)
As a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity (damage cancels the spell and wastes the action, but the vampire has 25% miss chance on themselves due to intangibility), a vampire can assume gaseous form at will as the spell (caster level 5th), but it can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Alternatively, they can attempt one concentration check (DC 20) per round, with success allowing them to require only an immediate action to take on Gaseous Form - this applies once per concentration check.

Note: SRD often doesn't list whether or not actions provoke AoO. I know it's usually assumed that standard actions do, but I felt it needed listing anyway. Meh.

Turn Resistance (Ex)
A vampire has +4 turn resistance.

Turn Resistance(Ex)
A vampire has +0 turn resistance. Oh, what's that? None? That's right, a vampire is still undead and being a vampire doesn't it make special.

Resistances (Ex)
A vampire has resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10.

Resistances (Ex)
A vampire has resistance to cold 2.

Note: I don't remember any vampires being particularly resistant to anything.

Spider Climb (Ex)
A vampire can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.

Spider Climb (Ex)
A vampire can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.

Note: A vampire can't never move through spaces doused with his weakness without a DC 30 concentration check (such as setting specific symbols of warding against vampires). Moving adjacent to such a space provokes the concentration check. Failure means they must expend a move action moving away in the direction opposite that which they wished to go as if they were turned - however they may of course easily return with another movement and they do perform foolish actions as bumping into barriers or traveling through spaces containing pits or other drops that would cause them to begin falling; they will make the most logical course adjustment while still attempting to move away.

They can never tell exactly what space is warded and it cannot be pin pointed (NPC/player judgement is required).

Failure of the concentration check by 10 or more means they cower for 1 round in the space they end up in after traveling away (usually on the ground).

If they moved adjacent to the warded space while performing some movement method such as climbing, they begin falling. If flying, they drop half falling speed before flying once more. If swimming, they typically ascend deeper as they move away, and if the circumstance of cowering arises, they swim until they reach the bottom of the water (unless 100ft. or more away) before cowering.

A vampire forced through a space of warding takes 1d6 strength damage + 1d4 per round they are forced to remain there. Their strength returns at a rate of 1d10 per round after 1 minute of being unaffected by any warding.

Damage Reduction (Su)
A vampire has damage reduction 10/silver and magic. A vampire’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Vampire's aint got no damage reduction! I mean, they already heal quickly.

Although a GM can easily rule DR/5 silver and magic to represent 'simple dropping wounds' not harming them, say when villagers huddle over them with pitchforks and thrust and thrust.

Additionally, anything made of silver pierced through their hearts (or one of their intact hearts) will kill them as if it were stake driven through there. Fluff-wise, a vampire's heart beats.

Other weaknesses not detailed include decapitation - none of the holy wafer crap.

Alternate Form (Su)
A vampire can assume the shape of a bat, dire bat, wolf, or dire wolf as a standard action. While in its alternate form, the vampire loses its natural slam attack and dominate ability, but it gains the natural weapons and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. It can remain in that form until it assumes another or until the next sunrise. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might allow other forms.)

Alternate Form
A vampire has Alter Form (Su) as the spell.

Note: When's the last time a vampire turned into anything but a bat? If they can shapeshift, maybe I could include a druid substitution level that allows them to shapeshift into the usual smaller or larger creatures.

Also, at later levels as a druid, they can become a monstrous humanoid bat or wolf with powerful build and retain all of their abilities + some extras (both have improved scent and one can fly and snatch while the other can run super fast, pounce and trip or whatever; inspired by the movie 'Van Helsing').

Armor Class
The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +6.

No. Just no. They already have fast healing. And I thought their skin was soft like a human's (if they were human) or at least a lot less natural armor (if it was only 'stiff' or 'surprisingly softy tough')!

Fast healing is enough to bluff villagers with pitchforks into misguided notions of invincibility. And if they are tied up and thrown in a bonfire, they can still escape poor crafted ropes with a strength check (they still have decent strength) and then wait for their burn wounds to heal over.

Not to mention gaseous form allows them to escape quickly if multiple villagers are crowded over them with prodding pitchforks.

Attack
A vampire retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a slam attack if it didn’t already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the vampire retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those natural weapons. A vampire fighting without weapons uses either its slam attack or its primary natural weapon (if it has any). A vampire armed with a weapon uses its slam or a weapon, as it desires.

Vampires don't have a free slam attack (the one as listed) unless they have 24 strength or higher.

All vampires have a bite attack that is half unarmed damage, (only lethal and Piercing and Slashing; round down) which they use to feast upon some victims like zombies. This attack is regular unarmed and improvised (-8; improved unarmed strike feat knocks 4 off the penalty) and provokes attacks of opportunity however, unless used against an opponent they are grappling (no penalty while grappling either).

Ability Score Template Adjustments
Str +6, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.

Ability Score Template Adjustments
Str +6, Dex +2, Cha +4.

The enhanced intelligence and wisdom don't really make too much sense, but this is just IMO, of course. Also, they are certainly slightly more agile than humans, but this is mostly reflected by spider climb. If you guys feel there is reason to do so, I could remove it completely and give them +10ft. of base speed instead.

Conclusion: All in all, vampires are remarkable but not all that remarkable compared to other things in D&D.

Nothing in hollywood I've seen realistically measures up to the vampire's abilities reflected in D&D - their dominating gaze always took longer than just two or so seconds for example. And most powerful vampires were also powerful through strength of character and actions rather than their sole abilities.

Sure, some vampires are open for customization - sure, you could give a vampire the ability to designate a creature as the subject of a chase (Su). The vampire acquires hover locomotion and may move at the same speed as such a creature as long as they remain at least 10ft. away - they are able to perform up to one standard action without interrupting their automatic movement.

Another could be the ability to move really quickly with a jump check as a standard or swift/immediate action - wherever their jump takes them, they essentially immediately move there without provoking AoOs (reflected by movies such as underworld).

Other vampires might simply have higher run multipliers - or their move speed increases, but only when they double move.
---

That's it. What's the suggested LA of this thing?

DracoDei
2010-09-22, 07:08 PM
What is your objective with these changes?

imp_fireball
2010-09-22, 08:35 PM
What is your objective with these changes?

If you read more closely, you'll find it in the OP somewhere.

EDIT: It's lowered LA, as always. But this time, while staying kind of true to the fluff of D&D vampires (not necessarily 'vampires' in general).

theinnerdevil
2010-09-22, 11:04 PM
i really like it, good job =D

JackMage666
2010-09-23, 04:57 PM
It doesn't do much for the LA, really. The real flaw in making the Vampire Template accessible players is the fact that they can just make Vampire Spawn at will. While that's not quite as strong, it's still pretty substantial in this version.

imp_fireball
2010-09-24, 01:11 AM
It doesn't do much for the LA, really. The real flaw in making the Vampire Template accessible players is the fact that they can just make Vampire Spawn at will. While that's not quite as strong, it's still pretty substantial in this version.

Hm... I could always make a limit that can be expanded by the leadership feat. That way you can still have a vampire lord with a hoard of servants but most vampires would only have a few.

Mulletmanalive
2010-09-24, 01:11 PM
Dracula and most older vampire myths had the ability to shift into wolves. The bat thing was Stoker's creation...or Carmella, i forget which.

You could makethe gaze simpler by saying "Swift action, 30ft, paralyed 1 round, Will Neg" or obviously, a little more elloquently. In every story that i've actually seen such a power, they basically just obey spoken commands regardless of distance - in some, this is what gives away the Vamp. I have no idea what yours is based off.

could do with a smidge more cold resistance, simply because their blood is cold so they won"t be damaged by anything short of serious cold [supernatural class conditions from frostburn]

You need to state what their weaknesses are more clearly. Why no weakness to holy water? It's a core part of the curse, along with running water in most versions.

As is...probably LA +3ish but i can barely figure out how the dominate power is meant to work so i'm guessing

imp_fireball
2010-09-24, 08:01 PM
You need to state what their weaknesses are more clearly. Why no weakness to holy water? It's a core part of the curse, along with running water in most versions.

I stated in the OP that it's the exact same as the D&D vampire (I linked the D&D vampire) except for what I quoted and changed via spoiler. So that includes weaknesses like holy water and sunlight. I also added in additional weaknesses - so 'decapitation' and the other one are additions rather then replacements. I may have said 'none of the holy wafer crap' but I meant to say that it was not necessary in conjunction with a decapitation - it's now either/or. So it can be either 'stuff mouth with holy wafers' or 'straight decapitation'.

I have no idea what yours is based off.

Well I suppose I could allow the vampire to a forge a telepathic link with the victim whenever they are charmed or under the affects of the vampire's lesser geas.

could do with a smidge more cold resistance, simply because their blood is cold so they won"t be damaged by anything short of serious cold [supernatural class conditions from frostburn]

Granted, this could be explained away by saying that since they are undead, they don't get non-lethal damage.

There's also the listed environments that they thrive in - one of which could be 80 degrees below 0c, explaining away why they don't die in the cold (and for the record, I don't zombies 'die' in the cold either unless they become too frozen to move).

Also, frostburn doesn't deal with 'supernatural' cold I don't think - just environments that are extraordinarily cold, like the Himalayan peaks. At least that's what I heard about it.

As is...probably LA +3ish but i can barely figure out how the dominate power is meant to work so i'm guessing

Round 1 - Vampire gazes at opponent with standard action. Opponent makes will save. Failure means they are rendered motionless and cannot perform any actions except against the vampire (and even then, they must be non-hostile actions). If the opponent is not within 10ft. of vampire, the vampire must expend a standard action to suggest that the opponent come closer (but only if opponent is within 30ft.) - the opponent effectively receives two will saves for this. As it is, it's better for the vampire to move within range of the opponent to complete the immobilization within one round - but the vampire can also get an opponent to follow them with a suggestion, as they long as they don't let the opponent reach them until they want them to.

Round 2 (or Round 3 if vampire needed to make the suggestion) - Opponent stares at vampire mesmerized, during this time refer to the above rules (they may not perform any actions, etc.). Vampire must concentrate upon opponent for two full rounds. Opponent can make concentration check to speak out against the vampire's wishes with simple words and very brief sentences of up to three words but emotion remains intact (ie. "Help!" or "Help, taking over!" or just "Vampire taking over!"). Vampire must make concentration check to keep opponent mesmerized if they take damage - but distractions don't affect vampire.

Round 4 - Opponent is motionless. Vampire now has telepathic bond with opponent (not yet listed). Vampire can make a swift action to 'activate' the opponent at any range - otherwise, opponent lies motionless, essentially forever until vampire is slain or the affect is removed in some manner. When the vampire 'activates' the opponent, they may apply only one of two affects - charm monster or lesser geas. The affects of either spell apply and are supernatural rather than spell-like.
----

Dracula and most older vampire myths had the ability to shift into wolves. The bat thing was Stoker's creation...or Carmella, i forget which.

I mentioned that a vampire druid substitution level can allow them to shape shift into one of these vampire related creatures - I could create as many as three levels - they could get a bat swarm as an animal companion and their first substitution level replaces their druid spells with sorcerer derivatives. Sound good?