PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mundane, No-Training-Needed Methods of Using a Free Hand to Increase Defenses

balistafreak
2010-09-22, 05:21 PM
"Increase defenses" is being taken vaguely here.

I've noticed that a lot of characters I build have a shield in one hand and a weapon in the other, yet end up never using the weapon as they use their main attack method: psionics, dragonfire, even Dissolving Spittle.

Are there any ways to use this free hand augment one's defenses further with a mere item? I'm aware of the (expensive) Defending weapons, and there are probably feats to take advantage of this, but if there's simply an item, that would be awesome.

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-22, 05:22 PM
another shield? :smallbiggrin:

Halna LeGavilk
2010-09-22, 05:25 PM
Shield bonus doesn't stack.

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-22, 05:27 PM

sorry, that was meant to be a joke. :smallamused:

grarrrg
2010-09-22, 05:33 PM

No, you get Tower shield proficiency, and dual-wield Tower shields, use one for cover and the other for the shield bonus.
PLEASE don't take me seriously...
It's almost fool-proof!

Forged Fury
2010-09-22, 05:38 PM
Uh... a Rod of Flailing grants a +4 Deflection bonus 1/day for 10 minutes, but it's rather expensive.

I'm not sure if you meant non-magical when you said "Mundane" in your title. Your mention of Defending weapons made me think no.

Since your definition of "increase defenses" is pretty vague, you could also hold a Gem of Brightness and use it to blind opponents. I'd see if your DM would agree to allow you to create a permanent magic item, maybe eliminating the area effect power. Again, pretty expensive in any event.

Arbitrarity
2010-09-22, 06:22 PM
A +1 defending Parrying weapon, for 16000 gp, gives a +1 insight to all saves and AC, and another +enhancement to AC (if you use Greater Magic Weapon)

My personal favorite is a +1 defending warning/+1 parrying Spellstrike Runestaff of Power, a thoroughly custom-made item weighing in at 77300 gp. Cast Greater Magic weapon on both ends, and you enjoy a +2 luck, +1 insight, and +5 untyped bonus to AC, a +5 bonus to Initiative, and a +2 luck and +1 insight bonus to all saves, plus +5 untyped bonus to saves against spells and spell-like abilities. Oh, and it has the other properties of a staff of power, including double damage for expending a spell slot as a free action, and casting any of the spells in the staff of power a few times a day, powered by your own slots.

Ah, mundane. Curses. Give me a sec.