PDA

View Full Version : The Hand of Gulthias

Saint of Kord
2010-09-22, 06:51 PM
I recently ran a party of new players through a slightly modified version of the Sunless Citadel (because that was the first campaign I ever played, I figured it was as good a place as any to start) and found myself in a strange position.

The players got seperated and one found himself tied to the Gulthias tree. For those of you not familar with this module, the Gulthias tree is an evil tree that grew from a stake peircing the heart of Gulthias, an aincent vampire. The tree's fruit grows into twig blights (from MM2, I think) and anyone tied to the tree is rather quickly engulfed by the tree and transformed into a mindless barkskinned version of themsleves. So one character was to be sacrificed to the tree while the rest of the party, having learned from bragging cultists what fate awaits their friend, rushed to save him.

The party got to him just in time (because I was lenient) and cut him out of the tree after only one hand had been engulfed/assimilated. Originally I was thinking this hand would function exactly as a twig blight's claw (adjusted for size), and would serve to arouse suspicion from NPC's because it detects as evil, and that would be the end of the story. But as we've played on, other issues have worked themselves into the story. Issues I'm not sure how to deal with.

The character hates the hand (the player thinks it's really cool though), it nags at him constantly to be fed blood, or exposed to light. If the character does either, it grows wildly and becomes unweildy. So he keeps it gloved and hams it up as his dark secret. He feels haunted by it. Gulthias appears in his dreams, promising him great power if he would succumb to the urges of the hand. The player feels that Gulthias had been trying to escape from the tree for centuries, only he could never control his bloodthirst and, until now, consumed his victims entirely. But now, for the first time, a victim of the tree was left alive and Gulthias is intent on using the character as a vessel for his rebirth.

I think this is a terrific idea and I want to encourage my players to be this imaginative, so I really want to foster this aspect of the story but I'm not sure how to. Can anyone suggest rules to use as the player's vampire-plant hand becomes stronger? I've been eyeing the vampire bloodline progression, but want something more plant-based. Thoughts?

herrhauptmann
2010-09-22, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I really got nothing usable.
I'm sure there's a few monster movies from the 60s-80s you could watch for references somewhere.
Always demanding blood and sunlight, I'm sort of reminded of little shop of horrors.
Perhaps a Blightlord comes seeking out the character wanting "To know all its secrets."

That's an AWESOME story. I'm jealous

Saint of Kord
2010-09-22, 08:20 PM
Perhaps a Blightlord comes seeking out the character wanting "To know all its secrets."

That sounds cool. What book is the Blightlord from?

herrhauptmann
2010-09-22, 09:05 PM
Sorry, Blighter is Complete Divine.
There might be a 'blight lord' in Forgotten Realms somewhere, but I'm having a stupid week, and can't find anything in the FR books.

Lycan 01
2010-09-22, 09:36 PM
Maybe Gulthias wants him to come back and destroy the tree so he can go free, but the hand resists and sabotages him at every turn since its part of the tree, which has perhaps gained some sentience of its own? Or maybe there's a ritual he can do, which requires a bunch of random things (ashes of a slain vampire, blood of a virgin, high quality fertilizer) and will allow him to become the new Gulthias or something crazy like that. :smalleek:

herrhauptmann
2010-09-22, 10:12 PM
What level is the party at now anyway? Are you going to run them through the Heart of Nightfang spire? I'm pretty sure it's the direct sequel to Sunless Citadel.
Complete with potential TPK for a first fight.

Saint of Kord
2010-09-23, 07:21 PM
What level is the party at now anyway? Are you going to run them through the Heart of Nightfang spire? I'm pretty sure it's the direct sequel to Sunless Citadel.
Complete with potential TPK for a first fight.

They're almost to level 4. I think Nightfang was lv 10, but I don't have it on hand.

Lot's of cool ideas everyone, but I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of template or monster class for an evil plant.