PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Guild Competition

Greysect
2010-09-22, 06:57 PM
In my current campaign the party level 4 sorceror must complete a set of trials before he can register in the city mage's guild. Recently this sorceror has developed a rivalry with another caster, an NPC by the name of Antoine, who also wishes to enter the guild. To spice things up and settle their dispute they will take the trials side-by-side and compete for the better mage.

Anyone have any suggestions to specific challenges, or things I should keep in mind while creating my own challenges, such as how to build a rival NPC to be compelling but not overpowering?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-22, 07:03 PM
What is your PC's spell list? If you have the sheet that is. They just gained access to level 2 spells but they only have 1. Maybe 1 of the challenges could be made alot easier by having that specific spell, making your PC feel better about their spell choice.

Also would they be adverse to cheating or underhanded tactics? And would the challenges be edjudicated by the mages guild or an outside party (bribery?). And would the PC be fulfilling the challenges whilst always under the watch of NPC's working for the mages guild or judging panel.

I think the important thing though is to set 3 challenges in correspondence with their spell list. Make 1 of them be very difficult with their spell selection though, prompting them to think outside of their spells per day.

I think this could be alot of fun, they could rope other party members in to annoy and otherwise make the opponents life harder, assuming the mages guild doesn't know about 1 or all of the other PCs

Fable Wright
2010-09-22, 07:07 PM
Try adding wizard's games from the Complete Warrior. Those would work well.

CirclesAllOver
2010-09-22, 07:24 PM
Maybe a challenge to see who can concentrate on keeping a spell active the longest. Mage Hand to keep a small object levitating?

And, then as the challenge goes on, make it more difficult to concentrate. Check out the Concentration rules on the SRD.

Hope this helps.