PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Magical properties of a unicorn horn...

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 07:28 PM
My players killed a cursed Dusk Unicorn in an encounter, and the rogue decided to cut off the horn for safe keeping. He's stashed it somewhere, inside a bag of holding inside a tree which was done with the help of the wizard, and now I have a bit of time to decide exactly what sort of magic a unicorn horn is capable of and how.

Is it a channel for magic, like a wand? Or could it perform the spells a dusk unicorn is capable of?

jiriku
2010-09-22, 07:37 PM
Traditionally, the touch of a unicorn's horn brings purification, thus neutralizing poison or removing disease is a good place to start. It could reasonably function as a wand, providing bonuses for appropriate types of spells. If ground up into powder, it's supposed to be an aphrodisiac and bring fertility.

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 07:54 PM
As usual, I find Nethack (http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Unicorn_horn) to be an excellent trope source...

Hzurr
2010-09-22, 08:01 PM
I'd say treat it as a daily item power that lets you spend a healing surge (most likely as a move or minor action). This keeps the feel of the "healing" property of unicorn horns, and is a nice little emergency reserve for whenever the leader is down.

WitchSlayer
2010-09-22, 08:04 PM
I once tore a tooth out of a skeletal snake's mouth and used it as a wand, although the healing thing is also a good idea. Maybe make it a wand implement with the healing surge daily power?

Shadow_Elf
2010-09-22, 08:05 PM
You could also make it a wondrous item with a certain number of charges/day. Charges can be spent to reduce the cost of a Restoration ritual, grant some temporary HP, or something.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 08:10 PM
I'd also like to include an element of the Dusk Unicorn's teleport power. Maybe Heal is an encounter and Teleport is a Daily? For the heal, the unicorn's stats will give me some idea of the range.

Swordgleam
2010-09-22, 10:07 PM
Lots of things give healing surges. Why not let it remove a condition instead? That, to me, seems closer to the "purify" aspect of the healing.

Heal as an encounter and teleport as a daily seems good. Maybe tie something else to the teleport to make it more unique?

RebelRogue
2010-09-22, 10:17 PM
Lots of things give healing surges. Why not let it remove a condition instead? That, to me, seems closer to the "purify" aspect of the healing.

Heal as an encounter and teleport as a daily seems good. Maybe tie something else to the teleport to make it more unique?
Removing an affliction once per encounter is pretty powerful! What level are your players?

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-22, 10:25 PM
Level 10, it's Tomb of Horrors.

Maybe it can just neutralise poison when inserted into the liquid.

Kurald Galain
2010-09-23, 04:05 AM
Unicorn Horn, Wondrous Item*
Property: while you hold this horn, you gain a +2 item bonus to Heal checks, and resist 5 poison (or your existing resist poison increases by 3).
Power (daily): immediate reaction. Trigger: an enemy moves. Effect: you teleport 4 squares.

* because if it was a wand, most classes wouldn't be able to use it

dsmiles
2010-09-23, 06:04 AM
Unicorn Horn, Wondrous Item*
Property: while you hold this horn, you gain a +2 item bonus to Heal checks, and resist 5 poison (or your existing resist poison increases by 3).
Power (daily): immediate reaction. Trigger: an enemy moves. Effect: you teleport 4 squares.

* because if it was a wand, most classes wouldn't be able to use it

This sounds pretty appropraite. Good call.