PDA

View Full Version : Advice RE: a Fighter Class Feature

thompur
2010-09-22, 09:04 PM
I'm working on a homebrew adjustment to the Fighter, and I'm having trouble deciding on a class feature.

It will be called "Overcome" and is in regards to DR. It would come in at 7th, 13th, and 19th levels. my dilemma is: should it be overcome any DR(5, 10, 15) or fighter character determines type, like a Warlock choses energy resistance, Cold Iron, Silver, Adamantine, Magic.

Also, is DR an Extraordinary ability, Supernatural, or just 'is'?

Thanks in advance.

Glimbur
2010-09-22, 09:44 PM
Generally, DR can be overcome unless it's DR/-. So special materials and damage types are Ex, /magic is Su. I wish I could find a source for this though...

Overcoming DR isn't enough to make the fighter better. Raw damage isn't their problem: options are.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-22, 11:11 PM
There are a lot of different types of damage reduction too...

DR/Adamantine takes an adamantine weapn
DR/Silver takes a silver weapon
DR/Cold Iron takes a cold iron weapon
DR/[Other Material] takes an [other material] weapon
DR/Magic takes a magic weapon
DR/Slash takes a slashing weapon
DR/Pierce takes a piercing weapon
DR/Bludgeoning takes a bludgeoning weapon
DR/+1 takes a +1 weapon
DR/+2 takes a +2 weapon
DR/+x takes a +x weapon

There is a +2 weapon enhancement in the magic item compendium called transmuting that hits a target with DR normally the first hit then changes to whatever it takes to overcome that target's DR. There is a +1 called metalline that lets you shift between different metals. Overcoming DR isn't likely to do much good for "fixing" a fighter though.

Chambers
2010-09-22, 11:18 PM
Tetrasodium

DR/+1, DR/+2, etc does not exist in 3.5 It was changed to DR/Magic.

thompur

Check out the Vicious Strike, Wounding Strike, & Aligned Strike abilities of my revised Fighter class for DR beating options. :smallsmile:

Tetrasodium
2010-09-22, 11:19 PM
Tetrasodium

DR/+1, DR/+2, etc does not exist in 3.5 It was changed to DR/Magic.

thompur

Check out the Vicious Strike, Wounding Strike, & Aligned Strike abilities of my revised Fighter class for DR beating options. :smallsmile:

Yea I know, a lot of people use it for critters in older modules and such still though. I figured I'd include it just for the heck of it :)