PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of the Azure Lands (IC)

Zaydos
2010-09-22, 11:08 PM
You are in the small town of Rali. You have spent the last week within the town as you have slain the orcs from the surrounding areas for the gold and gratitude of the citizenry. You've been given free lodging in the town's largest inn, the Singing Swordsman, as well as free meals as part of your payment. The waitress, a comely young lass about 16 years old with a head full of brown ringlets, is currently serving your meal when a man stumbles in. His breath stinks of ale, and you recognize him as the town drunk Bruklin, a retired mercenary himself who quit after a near death experience left him afraid to fight again.

"Orcs, orcs from Bale. Big 'uns, with their dark purple skin. They're comin'." he says stumbling forward.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-23, 09:34 AM
T'aella turns to eye the man, "where and how many?" already set to confront the beasts, she tries to tell which strategy used by her tribe would be the best.

(OOC: I'll be taking Navy)

Zaydos
2010-09-23, 09:36 AM
"In the woods!" he pauses to drunkenly count his fingers, "1, 2, 3, 2, no wait 4, 5, many."

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-23, 11:11 AM
"Adun, Melik, the hunt is on," she says with a feral grin.

(OOC: I realize i'm sorta taking the leading role, but its mainly because i'm awake and on while you're not)

Kantolin
2010-09-23, 11:37 PM
The halfling couldn't help but chuckle. He stretched, shifting in his vest, as he glanced to one side.

"Booooy you hate them, huh? Drunk guy comes in, says 'Orcs!', and you get up running. Heh."

Still, he stood tall, and stretched again. Or, er, stood 'tall' - I mean, 2'8 isn't terribly tall - but you get the idea. "Still, if they're nebulously 'coming', then we'll probably hear them in a moment. Unless they're quiet, reserved orcs in which I'd rather like to chat with them."

He hopped into the air for a moment. "Let's go to the edge of town, then. Even if he's wrong, all we're out is drinks." He waved towards the serving girl. "Very good drinks, yet!" He added, tossing a coin onto the table for the food, drinks, and tip.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-23, 11:51 PM
"If orcs killed everyone you've known since you were a cub you'd hate them too," she specifically refrains from mentioning the halflings family and tries not to sound harsh while speaking.

Tacitus
2010-09-24, 12:23 AM
Adun

Even though the bulky man that stands next is wearing a suit of fullplate it seems to make not a single sound as he rises from the table. Sapphires and blue cloth dress his plate and shield and glitter with an inner light as he slips his helmet onto his bald head, "We can discuss the tragic past another time, for now lets keep focused and pen these berks in the deadbook."

Iron Silence (no Armor Check penalty on Hide and Move Silently) cast after breakfast, so with an 8 hour duration aimed at ending about dusk.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-24, 12:32 AM
T'aella sighs, never going to get used to him, "let's get moving then. Lead the way, Bruklin."

Kantolin
2010-09-24, 05:09 PM
Sadalmelik chuckled, but didn't feel inclined to respond to either comment. Instead, he followed Bruklin out - or if the drunk human was taking his sweet time, he'd just head out on his own. Odds were, rampaging orcs would be pretty easy to spot.

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 05:25 PM
Bruklin seems hesitant at first about leading the way but finally gives in. He leads you into the woods to a creek. "I saw 'em right here." he says, "They should be near"

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-24, 06:20 PM
T'aella crounches down, looking for tracks in the ground, attempting to determine the exact number and their direction of travel.

Survival Check: [roll0]

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 06:23 PM
You can find tracks, but only those of one creature, medium-sized, humanoid, and likely drunk.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-24, 06:30 PM
You can find tracks, but only those of one creature, medium-sized, humanoid, and likely drunk.

"I can only see your tracks, Bruklin. Melik, Adun, we should take a look around. Bruklin, it would be wise to go back to town, we can handle this."

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 06:36 PM
But I could have sworn they were here, I saw them, I know I did. I really did. Bruklin says as he heads, quickly, back towards town.

Kantolin
2010-09-24, 08:11 PM
"Haha."

The halfling chuckled, and patted Bruklin on the... well, on the back of his knee.

"Orcs or no, you should..." He began before pausing, as the human took off back towards town on his own. "Do that exactly. Handy."

He glanced up at T'aella. "I'm preeetty sure this is just a wild goose chase, y'know. I don't put that much fabric on the words of a drunk human. But I'll go take a quick skulk around - help you sleep a little easier tonight, right? Maybe I'll see something."

Hopping off, he slunk around the trees. Really, he didn't think anything was out there, but he may as well alleviate T'aella's concerns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rolls: (I hope I got the format properly...)

I'm cool with taking ten on these as he's not taking them terribly seriously, but he is in fact doing it.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listne: [roll3]

Soulmelds:
Kruthik Claws: +4(Hide/MoveSilent) +2ess [2 Essentia]
Manticore Belt: +2(Jump/spot) +2ess [1 Essentia]
Yrthak Mask: +4(Listen) +2ess [2 Essentia]

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 08:24 PM
@Kantolin:
As you skulk into the bushes you catch sight of something black. Moving a little closer you can make it out to be the red and near-black purple skin of a Balean goblin hiding in the bushes watching your group, and probably yourself as well.

OOC: be glad you rolled, you got a nat 20 on your spot check.

Kantolin
2010-09-25, 02:37 PM
And as swiftly as he'd vanished, the halfling was back.

"See? What'd I tell you - not an orc out there." He said a bit on the quieter side, before seeming to notice that the two others couldn't hear him. He cupped both hands to his mouth. "I said s - oh for the love of. Come down here already."

There was, however, a small sense of urgency in his eyes as he motioned for the two to come closer; it was a cover. And, assuming they did so, he'd quickly mention, softly,

"Did see Bale goblin watching us. Dunno if hostile, be aware'n while heading back break away from each other and get the upper hand."

Or at least, that's how he'd handle it. He leaned back. "So, can we get back to that tasty food in there? I never got to try out the potatoes."

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-25, 04:51 PM
Just as quietly, "Goblins are worse than orcs, they're cowards and use numbers instead of actual training," after hearing Melik's idea to dispatch the goblin, "it's a good idea, but the lil bugger could be a scout, capture would be another option. I'm the fastest here, i could get around the bugger while you run it to me, then we could get some information. Nonlethal force, mind, after we interogate do what you will, but we need to know if there's a larger pack."

Tacitus
2010-09-27, 01:32 AM
Adun

From behind his steel visor his face is all but obscured and his whispers as he crouches to meet the halfling almost muffled by the supernatural silence of his armor, "I'll stay in the open, as you are well aware I have no stealth, if all else fails I can draw them to me as a bastion of law and order." If no one has anything further he'll stand and head off back towards town, his voice at normal levels, "I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the potatoes. Heh, I'm more interested in the waitress, myself."

Kantolin
2010-09-27, 08:00 PM
"Haha, not so much from this angle. Waaay too tall."

He waited for the path to bend a touch, then attempted to slip away into the woods, circling around as per their plans.

Hide/Move silently, assuming reapplicable, essentia in the same places:

Zaydos
2010-09-27, 08:07 PM
So you start back towards town and then Sadalmelik splits off to circle around the goblin? What do the other two do while he is doing this? Continue forward?

Tacitus
2010-09-27, 08:15 PM
Some of your dragons are silly, Zaydos.

Adun

Adun chuckles to himself as he walks on back towards the tavern and continues on when the halfling disappears, though his pace is rather slow and leisurely. Despite his calm posture he is keeping an eye, and ear, out for any signs of battle or rampaging orcs or goblins.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 08:23 PM
T'aella continues forward for a ways then slinks into the shadows as Melik did moments before, staying alongside Adun while remaining unseen.

Essentia Allocation
Worg Pelt 2
Totem Avatar 2
Hunter's Circlet 0
Blink Shirt 1

Cobalt Rage 0
Soulsight 0

Zaydos
2010-09-27, 08:28 PM
@Kantolin:
When you circle back you find the goblin grinning towards you. It moves its hands in a mystic gesture and says 8 syllables of power and you see a scorpion the size of a horse, its chitin a mixture of blood red and deep purple, appear between you and the goblin.

Kantolin
2010-09-27, 10:20 PM
Melik blinked once.

Then half-smiled. "Ah. No chance of just talking this one out, then? I'm all for a nonviolent outcome."

While he actually was serious about that, he still backpetaled into plain view - after all, 'giant scorpion'. "Uh, guys?" He called out, a touch more loudly, figuring the scorpion was heading his way.

Zaydos
2010-09-27, 10:25 PM
Run while you can, puny mercenaries! the goblin screams out in his shrill voice, I give you five seconds before I send my little pet after you! He begins laughing with sadistic glee.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 10:32 PM
"We're not mercenaries," T'aella calls out, emerging from the trees, "We simply heard about some orcs in the area, we don't intend harm to anyone unless they choose to attack us or raid a village."

Zaydos
2010-09-27, 10:34 PM
Then run back while you still can and maybe some of your precious villagers will still be alive! the goblin is still laughing even as he screams in his infuriatingly shrill voice.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 10:40 PM
T'aella's eyes narrow, "Adun, Melik, i believe the town is being attacked, let's make our way back." she looks at the goblin, "Thanks for the tip," a feral grin spreads across her face, "just don't try anything, or you won't live long. I'll go ahead," She turns and runs at top speed back to the town.

Tacitus
2010-09-27, 10:56 PM
Adun

Adun scowls towards the sound of the goblin's voice from behind his visor, "Thrice damned pond scum. I agree, let us make haste." Though slowed by the massive amount of armor plating, Adun also makes his way back towards town at best speed, drawing both a dagger to place in his left hand (a material component for a spell) and a morningstar with which to truly fight.

Kantolin
2010-09-28, 02:22 AM
The halfling chuckled lightly. "Yeesh, guys. You too - two angry big people and an angry one who's about the right size." It, however, was said with the casual jest that almost everything that came out of his mouth contained. Now, granted, he didn't sound worried about the town, but...

He glanced back as the other two started running. "I'll take off too, though. Thanks for the heads-up!"

He was actually pretty sure that the goblin was going to send his spider to follow them, and thus headed back a bit behind the other two, keeping an eye on the beast and what he assumed was a spellcaster.

Zaydos
2010-09-28, 06:12 PM
The goblin orders the scorpion to chase you and moving forward 30-ft himself fires three missiles of solid force at you (the halfling) from behind.

take 9 damage.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 06:48 PM
(Assuming that Melik would make noise while being hit)

Hearing the scorpion and goblin give chase, and Melik being hit, Taella spins around, "I warned you!" she shouts before moving back to the scorpion and attempting to slam her fist into the beast's carapace, her hands glowing with golden ice.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Touch of Golden DC 14
Initial Damage: [roll3]
Secondary Damage: [roll4]

Zaydos
2010-09-28, 06:50 PM
The illusion vanishes as your hand crashes through it. The goblin scowls, I've done my job here, I guess it's time for me to go. So sad I don't get to join the slaughter.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 06:54 PM
"Back to town," Taella shouts, moving as fast as she can, pushing to her limit. "Damn illusionists," she mutters while running.

Kantolin
2010-09-28, 07:52 PM
Melik felt rather than saw the attack coming towards him. He ducked and weaved in an excellent maneuver, but there was just no dodging the attack - he'd swear he saw the things do right angles to come get him. He was bleeding and that'd knocked the wind out of him, but he'd be okay.

Which was when he noted Taella was heading /back/. He couldn't help but smile at it, as he called out, "No, don't come back! He's - "

And then Taella was punching the scorpion.

In honesty, the first thing that went through Melik's head was just how fast that action was. Yikes. He already knew that the bigfolk took pretty big strides, but geez.

Secondly, however, was the illusion. Haha, and he'd just reacted exactly as the goblin had wanted him to. Good show! He'd figured the attack was just to encourage the others to remain away from the town, although that actually didn't seem like the case - apparantly the goblin just liked attacking people.

He still definitely had to get to town, but he really couldn't keep himself from stating, "Nice trick! Totally blindsided me there, heh."

He still, though, tried to be the one in the back (Pending Adun keeping moving or not, of course, heh).

Tacitus
2010-09-29, 02:26 AM
Adun

Slow and steady, the armored man glances back in time to catch the scorpion dissolving in an illusory haze, so he just keeps running back towards town.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 08:08 AM
The goblin fires another barrage of missiles at the halfling before turning away himself, laughing with maniac glee, They're all going to die!

11 damage this time

Kantolin
2010-09-29, 12:11 PM
The second barrage of missiles spiked into Melik's back, jarring a touch of blood loose, but he kept moving this time around - making his goal to get out of direct sight. He kept running towards town himself.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 12:22 PM
A fair bit ahead of the others, Taella arrives at the town. Pitch burns atop several of the buildings, including the inn. Taella can see a pair of orcs standing over a headless body and one comments in his own language, "I can't believe they're paying us for this"

The other grunts, "They didn't let us kill all of them."

You can see another orc pulling a woman out of her home by her hair, his battle axe in his other hand and a wicked smile on his face as he begins to raise it.

You haven't been noticed yet, and can only see three of them.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 12:40 PM
T'aella moves across to the orc with the axe, flying by the other two, tapping into the strength of the beasts of the world while doing so, and aiming a fist at the orc's face.

Using Animal Devotion for a +4 sacred bonus to Strength

Touch of Golden Ice DC 14
Primary: [roll3] Dex
Secondary: [roll4] Dex

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 12:45 PM
The orc recoils in pain but his two friends scowl and charge. You easily dodge the first blow, but the second strikes across you back
Take 7 slashing damage

Your turn (you beat 1 orc in initiative).

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 12:59 PM
T'aella looks to the woman the orc had been holding, "get out of here," then turns her attention back to the orcs, entering a fighting stance and swinging a kick at the orc that had struck her, while simultaneously reinforcing her skin with her spirit.

Crit: [roll1]

Primary: [roll3]
Secondary: [roll4]

Essentia Allocation
Totem Avatar 2
Blink Shirt 2
Worg Pelt 0
Hunter's Circlet 0
Soulsight 0
Cobalt Rage 1

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 01:11 PM
It narrowly avoids your foot and a grin grows on its face. "This one has spunk, who says we cut it out of her."

The orc suffering from the golden touch swings it axe at T'aella but swings wide. The woman crawls away 5-ft, as the next assailant attacks T'aella but fumbles missing badly. Finally the same orc that had struck T'aella before swings his axe down at her; only for her totem to protect her.

Two more orcs can be seen coming.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 02:36 PM
T'aella gives a feral grin, she was having a bit of fun, but now was the time for a speedy kill, not enjoyment. She aims another kick at the orc that spoke, this time aiming for the orc's other head.

Crit: [roll1]

Primary: [roll3]
Secondary: [roll4]

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 05:13 PM
It takes the foot to the face and bellows, "Get her!"

You get the feeling that they might overwhelm you with sheer numbers as you see another 3 orcs in the distance; it will take your friends another few moments (read 3 rounds/4 rounds) to get here through the woods even if they run, and by that time you will be completely surrounded by 8 orcs if things continue as they are.

The three orcs already surrounding you, swing their axes. You dodge the first, but the second broadsides you and the third misses. Two more reach you, but they haven't had a chance to attack you, yet.

The woman crawls a little further away.

It made it's save; and you take 10 slashing damage.

Why switch targets :smalleek:

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 05:18 PM
T'aella growls, then dashes out from the orcs, ignoring any attacks they make in favor of taking the woman out of there as quickly as possible, running back the way she came, "Come on, can't go back and say you were injured by a woman without killing her can you," she then laughs and runs into the woods.

Switching targets to do that. This ought to get their blood boiling and running after her, on a collision coures with the rest of the party.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 05:22 PM
They all swing their axes at you.

OOC: When you say dashing do you mean double move or run action?

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 05:32 PM
They all swing their axes at you.

OOC: When you say dashing do you mean double move or run action?

OOC: That would be a double move for a total of 100ft, although giving the woman a lift may reduce my speed some depending on how much she weighs and my current carrying capacity with an effective 17 Str.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 05:36 PM
OOC: That would be a double move for a total of 100ft, although giving the woman a lift may reduce my speed some depending on how much she weighs and my current carrying capacity with an effective 17 Str.

Picking her up is a move (or maybe standard) action in and of itself.

But that still means only 1 attack hit for 10 slashing damage.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 08:00 PM
T'aella is almost to the edge of the woods when two orcs rush her from behind their axes both striking her hard for 22 11 damage, the other three slowly gather around her when Sadalmelik arrives.

OOC
I re-rolled the damage; that was your freebie for the 1st battle of a campaign. This one was mean because they are out of you weight class; 5 technically CR 1 creatures, even if they are the weakest orcs I've ever ran [no weapon focus, no scale mail armor]). That and the others arriving 1 round early.

Kantolin
2010-09-29, 10:18 PM
The halfling halted at the edge of the woods, and blinked. Geez, /five/ of them?

The pain of his own wounds had caught up to him as well - he was pretty hurt. Still, he couldn't just sit there and let someone die.

"Guess you don't succeed if you don't try, heh." He muttered to himself, as he concentrated - it was always a little awkward manipulating a body part you didn't actually have. Still, with a fling, a trio of spikes shot out at the orcs. Sadalmelik remained in the woods, but was pretty sure that would get attentino drawn to him. Hopefully, however, that resulted in enough of a gap that T'aella could get away.

~~~~~~~~~

Rolls and an interesting query:

Uh, I actually just re-read manticore belt, and I have no idea if I get sneak attack on each one - it says 'volley' which means no, but I have to make a separate attack roll for each one which means yes.

If I do get sneak attack on each one, I'll cross my fingers that that's sufficient and aim one at three different orcs, hoping to clear a path for T'aella. If not, I'll aim the sneak attacking one at one orc and both of the other shots at a different orc.

In case only one counts for it, the first roll is for the sneak attacking one.

To-hits:
Swing 1: [roll0]
Swing 2: [roll1]
Swing 3: [roll2]

Damages:
Damage 1: [roll3]
Damage 2: [roll4]
Damage 3: [roll5]

Sneak attacks:
SA 1: [roll6]
SA 2: [roll7]
SA 3: [roll8]

Essentia Placement:
Manticore Belt: 3 [Can place 3 due to it being totem]
Yrkthik Mask: 2 [As once I swing, I'm not hidden anymore, so may as well listen]

Kantolin
2010-09-29, 10:20 PM
Ironically, I forgot to add my ranged to-hit to my ranged to-hit. Lemme try those to-hits again:

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]
Roll 3: [roll2]

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 10:36 PM
Three spikes fall around T'aella, the first narrowly passes between her and one of the orcs, the other strike home. One orc falls, a quill in his throat. The other is still standing despite being struck by T'aella earlier, although he looks severely injured.

Three spikes fall around T'aella, the first skewers an orc through the eye causing it to fall backwards before hitting the ground. The second passes between her and the orc she struck first, moving through her hair. The third strikes the other injured orc, causing him to fall to the ground the spine sticking through his throat.

It's T'aella's turn now.

Checked the rules compendium; if you get multiple attacks and they're not a full attack action you only get it on the first attack. Also I decided to just add your bonus manually to the first set of rolls.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 10:48 PM
"Thanks Melik," Taella calls, going farther into the woods, letting the woman off her back, "Hide," she tells the woman, then drawing one of her javelins and hurling it at the orc Melik hit but didn't drop.

Attack: [roll2]

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 10:59 PM
"Thanks Melik," Taella calls, going farther into the woods, letting the woman off her back, "Hide," she tells the woman, then drawing one of her javelins and hurling it at the orc Melik hit but didn't drop.

If you're withdrawing you can't also attack, if you're not withdrawing that will be 3 attacks of opportunity.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 11:01 PM
If you're withdrawing you can't also attack, if you're not withdrawing that will be 3 attacks of opportunity.

Save the attack for next turn then.

Zaydos
2010-09-29, 11:10 PM
The woman thanks T'aella, or tries to the words refusing to leave her throat and tears in her eyes, and then runs into the woods.

With T'aella well into the woods, and having just seen a halfling of all creatures bring down two of their numbers the orcs rush the halfling (who is within 30-ft to be sneak attacking). With astounding luck all three orcs bring their battleaxes down on the halfling. Thankfully two attacks are glancing blows, but still the combined onslaught is devastating.

Adun rushes from the woods to see the battle.

Sadalmelik takes 20 damage from the orcish charge. There was a 4% chance they'd all hit. Thankfully they rolled below average for damage (25 would have been average).

Kantolin
2010-09-29, 11:32 PM
Good, that seemed to have worked.

The halfling followed the woman's flight with his eyes, and partially sighed. "So, if my guess is right, they're gonna..."

He looked back, to confirm his assumption. "Yep. Three of them. Okay..."

Steadying himself, he attempted to weave out of the way as he'd been taught to do. Still, either these orcs were particularly well trained or just had the pendulum swinging their way; three chops later, he found himself losing consciousness.

"Man." He half-smiled. "I've just got no luck today."

And all at once he collasped backwards, unconscious and bleeding profusely.

Tacitus
2010-09-30, 12:30 AM
Adun
HP: 45/45
AC: 25, T: 12, FF: 25 (Uncanny Dodge)
2: Crystal Helm
2: Lightning Gauntlets
2: Impulse Boots

2: Midnight Metamagic (-1 for casting Extended Cloud of Knives)

The armored Hierarch marches forward as he flicks a dagger into the air with his left hand, words of power surging from within his helm that capture the blade and fragment into a veritable cloud of knives. With a flick of his wrist he sends a burst of divine power at the halfling, "Get UP, damn you! We're in the middle of combat! Sloth!"

Close Wounds, 2nd level Immediate Action Healing spell
[roll0] Healing

Standard for Midnight Metamagic Extended Cloud of Knives. 8 rounds.

Move to Advance.

I'll have a better statblock up eventually.

Zaydos
2010-09-30, 12:35 AM
EdroGrimshell, Kantolin you're both up (or whichever of you wants to go next can). Salik is still prone, and surrounded, though.

Kantolin
2010-09-30, 12:57 AM
The halfling heard the shout.

Which rather surprised him as it seemed to pierce the stars that were dancing through his head. Slowly, he opened one eye.

And immediately shut it again, playing dead.

This time, he let his ears explain to him what was going on, and the answer was facing three orcs simultaneously while lying on his back and bleeding profusely. Okay... this called for a moment of discretion before another strike.

And without further ado, he vanished entirely from view.

Hopefully unknown to the orcs about him, he then silently hopped to his feet, and slid a little to one side. He wasn't running away, but he definitely needed to wait a moment before even attempting another swing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Actions:
Standard action: Activating Vanishing Cloak, turning invisible for 4 rounds. Although I'm pretty sure I'm going to become visible in not too long via attacking, heh.

Move ACtion: Stand up. If they can, in fact, see invisible creatures then I've just gotten myself clubbed. :P

Free Action: 5ft step away from them somewhere.

Move silently if necessary:
[roll0]

Soulmelds:
Kruthik Claws: +4(Hide/MoveSilent) +2ess [2 Essentia]
Manticore Belt: +2(Jump/spot) +2ess [1 Essentia]
Yrthak Mask: +4(Listen) +2ess [2 Essentia]

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-30, 09:02 AM
T'aella nods to the woman then takes one of her javelins and moves to where she can get a shot in while remaining unseen.

Hide: [roll3]
Move Silently: [roll4]

Transfer the 2 Essentia from Blink Shirt to Worg Pelt

Zaydos
2010-09-30, 09:15 AM
The injured orc is struck through the chest by a javelin. Clutching it he falls to the ground.

One of the surviving two lets out a howl and begins to run back towards town. The other glances around a bit, and scowls. <in orcish> "May Conand drink they blood and dine on your souls!"

Then the orc turns and flees, loping quickly back to town.

They're running away; both took the run action even so they're 120-ft away.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-30, 09:26 AM
T'aella looks to the rest of the party, "Should I go get them?"

Kantolin
2010-10-01, 07:00 PM
Melik paused, glancing at Adun for his response.

Now, there was (probably) no way the other could actually see him, as he was invisible, but he still waited. He'd been taught, repeatedly, that speaking while invisible was only something you did when you wanted to be found - it defeated the purpose.

And as he could only turn invisible a limited amount of times per sunrise... well, if the answer was 'Yes, let's go after them' he'd wish to remain invisible, whereas he'd pipe up if it was no. If nothing else, he was too hurt to make much of a difference by himself.

Tacitus
2010-10-02, 05:32 AM
Adun

The armored warrior pauses for a moment and then sighs deeply, knowing yet another dagger has gone to waste. He glances back towards town, "One of you run ahead to make sure there aren't anymore up ahead and the other track their movements but do not engage. I'll attend to the wounded who yet live."

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-02, 11:21 AM
"I'll run ahead then, if i can i'll track any othes that may have moved on, i'll leave markers as i go." Taella says.

Zaydos
2010-10-02, 04:15 PM
@T'aella:
You follow after the orcs. You see them join up with a group of 4 more orcs and 3 Balean hobgoblins. One of the orcs point directly at you and one of the hobgoblins raises his hands and casts a spell.
You see a rain of brilliant golden dust falling around you and covering you, blinding you.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-02, 04:27 PM
"Adun, Melik!" she calls attempting to see through the blinding lights of the dust and make her way back the way she came as quickly as she could, using her hearing to navigate and keep a tab on the orcs, "They have a spellcaster."

Listen: [roll0]

Zaydos
2010-10-02, 04:33 PM
The orcs make no attempt to move silently as they rush towards you, gaining on you in your blind flight. You hear a hobgoblin scream out in orcish "Get her!"

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-02, 04:44 PM
Choosing that surviving was essential, T'aella focuses on pushing her mind outward, attempting to see the world through her spirit.

Allocating 2 points of essentia into Soulsight from my Worg Pelt

Tacitus
2010-10-02, 10:34 PM
Adun

Having started heading back at a brisk pace, though not running as that was entirely too tiring, he hears the yell for help and changes course immediately, picking up speed as he goes. He curses his heavy armor every step of the way.

Zaydos
2010-10-03, 11:57 PM
(was waiting for Kantolin but I'm going to assume the halfling goes with Adun)

You get into sight of T'aella and the orcish group, just as they are almost upon her.

T'aella it's your turn, you can sense the orcs right on your heels (living only blindsense does nothing to negate speed penalties for blindness).

1 more round has passed.

After T'aella it's the orcs and hobgoblins.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-04, 09:13 AM
T'aella blindly climbs the tree she's leaning against, trying to get away from the orcs.

Climb: [roll0]

Zaydos
2010-10-04, 09:46 AM
The orcs laugh at T'aella's futile attempt to climb the tree. The four of the five orcs surround her, striking with their axes. Two hit home, their axes dealing grave blows before she falls. The remaining orc and two hobgoblins go towards Adun, the orc reaching melee range too late to attack this round.

T'aella takes 18; I think that puts her at -7.

Kantolin
2010-10-04, 01:42 PM
...well, this was going swimmingly!

Melik had been counting down; he knew he had moments before his short-term invisibility wore off.

But it was based on sun-moon-sky. That was sun, so he could use moon and sky before his cloak was done for today... but if he used /both/, he could also turn T'aella invisible if he was standing next to her.

Sadly, however, he wouldn't be able to carry her nor move her from that spot, and that would put Adun in great danger as all of the orcs and hobgoblins would move towards him next, and Melik would be out of escape tricks for when he himself was caught.

But he didn't see terribly many other options beyond crossing his fingers that Adun's armour was pretty thick for a short time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about that! Got tied up in various things suddenly.

I'm a little unsure about distance. If possible, Melik would like to hurry over to T'aella during this last round of my cloak's invisibility, and use the two-charge 'You and an adjacent ally become invisible for three rounds' option [on myself and her].

If not close enough to do that, Melik will instead attempt to get close enough to do that next round, while ending his turn hidden for when his cloak wears off.

In case either of these rolls are needed:

Tacitus
2010-10-04, 05:42 PM
Adun

Girded in steel and sapphires the man marched onwards, flinging a dagger from his cloud with supernatural accuracy and moving in for a strike.

So yeah, Free action fires a dagger if the duration is still up, and either a move and attack or a charge depending on distance required.

Dagger:
Attack-[roll0] 19-20/x2 crit mod
Damage-[roll1]

Morningstar:
Attack-[roll2] (+2 if charging)
Damage-[roll3]

Zaydos
2010-10-04, 05:53 PM
Tacitus's dagger strikes an orc's shoulder and then he brings his weapon down upon it knocking it to the ground. The two hobgoblin's twist their faces into foul smiles, even as Melik disappears with T'aella.

The hobgoblin wizard in the back smiles at the group and says in common, "The illusionist didn't hold you off as long as I had hoped, a pity for you."

The hobgoblin swordsmen, carry large shields and wear studded leather, they move around Adun to set up a flanking position and strike at him with their longswords, missing entirely.

The four orcs standing over T'aella rush to charge Adun, though only two can get near in time to swing their axes wildly. The others merely move around.

The mage raises his hands and casts a spell, firing a green-black ray at Adun that thankfully goes wide.

They all missed

Tacitus
2010-10-04, 06:07 PM
Adun Ulhar
M LN Azurin Cleric3/Incarnate2/S.Hierarch1, Level 6, Init +0, HP 45/45, Speed 30
AC 23+2, Touch 10+2, Flat-footed 23+2, Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 3
MW Morningstar +5 (1d8+1, x2)
MW Crossbow (10 (+90)) +4 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12
Condition Uncanny Dodge, +1vsCharm/Compulsion

Cloud of Knives: round 6? of 8

Adun flicks another dagger, this time at the mage, "Surrender yourselves and you may yet live to see the gallows." He turns his attention to the nearest hobgoblin and reaches forth to sear him with a blast of lightning.

Dagger:
Damage-[roll1]

Lightning Gauntlets:
Touch Attack-[roll2]
Damage-[roll3]

Zaydos
2010-10-04, 06:10 PM
The dagger bounces off a film of force around the mage harmlessly, and the hobgoblin scowls back.

Meanwhile the hobgoblin warrior beside you is scorched to death by the electric blast of your lightning gauntlets, leaving only 4 warriors standing.

Melik?

Kantolin
2010-10-05, 04:51 AM
The halfling had to fight to keep himself from chuckling. Ah, silence was the hardest part about being invisible.

'Just a little more, Adun...' He thought to himself, while placing his weapon hand on his belt, and his other hand on Taella's prone invisible form (or more accurately, not letting go after going invisible with her). And a moment later, soft healing coursed through her.

He was no actual healer, so he paused for a moment to see if he could feel her moving - slightly unsure if that was enough. That meant he still had moon and sky, insofar as his belt was concerned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using a charge from his healing belt for 2d8 healing on Taella, remaining invisible along with her.

Healing: [roll0]

Zaydos
2010-10-07, 12:30 AM
T'aella awakes as the three orcs around Adun prepare to attack him, his armor easily deflecting the three orcs' axes. The hobgoblin warrior's sword fails to pierce as well, parried by the cleric's shield-gauntlet. The wizard scowls and raising a single crooked finger intones a word of dark power and sends a second green-black ray towards Adun. The ray strikes his arm, and the energy moves across his entire body.

You see as Adun almost stumbles and falls as if suddenly his gear had become far heavier than before.

@Adun:
You feel a weakness move through your entire body. Your entire body sags as the energy seems to drain you of your vitality.
You take a 7 point strength penalty. 2 rolls above 7; 1 was a 19.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-07, 12:42 AM
That wasn't one of my best moments, Taella thought, standing slowly, I'll need to make some poultice after this. Until then i'll be useless in this fight, T'aella carefully climbs the tree behind her

Taking 10 on climb for a total of 11
Move Silently: Also taking 10 for a total 21
Hide: Also taking 10 for a total 21

Tacitus
2010-10-07, 09:32 PM
Adun Ulhar
M LN Azurin Cleric3/Incarnate2/S.Hierarch1, Level 6, Init +0, HP 45/45, Speed 20 5
AC 23+2, Touch 10+2, Flat-footed 23+2, Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 3
MW Morningstar +1 (1d8+1, x2)
Abilities Str 12-7, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 12

Cloud of Knives: round 7 of 8

Though weakened and only barely keeping himself on two feet the Hierarch flicks another dagger towards the mage, "Your power is nothing, scum. Your life is forfeit!" Adun's arm flails out towards the hobgoblin swordsman to try to reduce it to a charred mess as well.

Dagger:
Damage-[roll1]

Lightning Gauntlets:
Touch Attack-[roll2]
Damage-[roll3]

Zaydos
2010-10-07, 10:05 PM
The caster howls in pain, and screams out in orcish, "Kill him, kill him, kill him!

The hobgoblin takes the electric blast to the face and falls backwards dead.

Kantolin
2010-10-08, 04:28 AM
Hey - they were getting upset.

They should take a moment for Garl - gnomes hardly ever got pissed off. Nor did this halfling, but hey.

Clamping his hand to his own chest, he concentrated - word for moon. And as he felt his body rejuvinate, he carefully repositioned himself - he'd probably only get one good shot at this, and he wanted it to count. Invisibly, he placed one finger to his mouth as though saying 'shhh' to Adun, who couldn't see him and thus couldn't possibly respond (He... assumed, as the thought came to mind that perhaps he could. You could always get surprised, after all.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actions:
Using healing belt on self, moving for next rounds ranged sneak attack.

[roll0]

Zaydos
2010-10-08, 11:07 AM
The orcs surrounding Adun snarl. "Now that the weaklings are out of the way" one says in orcish as they begin to attack.

Adun's armor manages to stop the first two blows, but the third strike him hard in the side. Even as the orcs begin to swing away at Adun the wizard snarls and raises his hands.

Suddenly a sheet of slick grease appears beneath Adun causing the warrior to slip and...

Adun takes 12 damage from an orc ax and must make a Ref save (DC 14) or fall prone. I didn't make it since it can't matter till during/after the PCs' act.

PCs' turn.

Kantolin
2010-10-09, 04:24 AM
"Man, with friends like that..."

Melik left the remainder of the adage go unspoken, as he slowly faded into view, typical half-smile on his face.

Granted, before he'd faded in, he'd sent out a flurry of needles while he was still unseen.

Still, he didn't necessarily have the luxury of viewing the effects of the needles - despite his casual pose, he was indeed aware that there was still a fight to be had. He shook his head, while noting that T'aella would become visible in not too much longer, but there hadn't really been a moment to state that.

Hopefully, that wouldn't be a problem...

~~~

I hope it's okay with my acting now? I kind of get the feeling everyone's waiting for everyone else, heh.

Aiming sneak attack at one orc (Let's say the one who spoke), while two more needles at the second.

Attack Rolls:
First Swing: [roll0]
Second Swing: [roll1]
Third Swing: [roll2]

Damage Rolls:
First Damage: [roll3]
Second Damage: [roll4]
Third Damage: [roll5]

Sneak Attack:
[roll6]

Essentia Placement:
Manticore Belt: 3
Yrkthik Mask: 2

Zaydos
2010-10-09, 12:22 PM
A needle punctures an orc's chest, a direct strike to the heart.

The other two strike an orc in the stomach, he staggers, coughs up blood, and almost falls, but manages to stay standing if only barely.

One orc died, one orc left at 1 hp.

Tacitus
2010-10-09, 10:06 PM
Adun Ulhar
M LN Azurin Cleric3/Incarnate2/S.Hierarch1, Level 6, Init +0, HP 33/45, Speed 20 5
AC 23+2, Touch 10+2, Flat-footed 23+2, Fort +10, Ref +1+2, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 3

Cloud of Knives: round 8 of 8

Even as the grease floods the ground around him Adun feels an impulsive warning shoot up his legs as one of his soulmelds grants just enough insight to keep his balance on the otherwise slippery substance. He growls through his visor as he flicks the last dagger from his cloud at the mage, "The caster, dammit! A couple of axes are no trouble at all!" He reaches out to yet again towards and orc, preferably one with few wounds, and lightning blasts from his fingertips.

Dagger:
Damage-[roll1]

Lightning Gauntlets:
Touch Attack-[roll2]
Damage-[roll3]

Zaydos
2010-10-09, 10:13 PM
The hobgoblin moves his head to the right, a dagger flying past it, even as Adun's lightning fells the uninjured orc.

The last orc, all but dead, swings his axe and manages a painful blow to Adun. The hobgoblin, snarls, and turns running from the battle at top speed. He shouts backward, "One day we shall meet again!"

11 damage from the orc's lucky attack (thankfully it wasn't a critical).

Tacitus
2010-10-09, 10:44 PM
Adun Ulhar
M LN Azurin Cleric3/Incarnate2/S.Hierarch1, Level 6, Init +0
HP 22/45, Speed 20 5
AC 23+2, Touch 10+2, Flat-footed 23+2, Fort +10, Ref +1+2, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 3

Prone: -4 AC vs Melee, +4 AC vs Ranged, -4 on melee attacks

Muttering obscenities to himself the armored warrior cannot keep his feet and crashes to the ground, hard. He groans as he flails an arm towards the last orc.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Electricity: [roll1]

Kantolin
2010-10-10, 08:36 PM
The halfling follows the hobgoblin with his eyes. "Gee, is everyone a master sprinter today?" He quipped, noting how distant the creature became that quickly. He guaged it as too far to really aim at properly, and thus turned to the remaining actual orc. "Man, and you're barely on your feet. Oh, well."

A trio of needles at said orc accompanied his comment.

Attack rolls:
Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]
Roll 3: [roll2]

Damage rolls:
Roll 1: [roll3]
Roll 2: [roll4]
Roll 3: [roll5]

Zaydos
2010-10-10, 08:37 PM
The orc falls, quite very dead.

The hobgoblin continues running away.

Kantolin
2010-10-11, 09:06 PM
"Phew!"

Melik followed the hobgoblin with his eyes for a moment, and shrugged. "No way I'm catching up to that. You okay, Adun?"

He also glanced around for T'aella - the fact that he hadn't seen her reappear surprised him a little.

Tacitus
2010-10-11, 09:15 PM
Adun

The armored priest lets out a sigh, "Okay? No, but I will live, at any rate. Yourself?" He struggles to move for a moment as he tries to slide out of the slick magical substance that will no doubt soon dissolve anyhow. He also does his best to stand once he's sure he won't simply fall again, but his efforts are less than stellar given his current state.

ie, if we're out of combat for the moment he'll wait for the Grease to end, which should be less than a minute, and then stand. If Melik insists on helping Adun will use him as a cane. XD

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-11, 09:16 PM
T'aella gives a sigh before lowering herself from the tree, "Hey Adun, you got any healing spells," she asks, helping the heavily armored heirarch up. "if we hurry i can catch him and get some information."

Kantolin
2010-10-11, 09:24 PM
Melik cocked his head to one side.

"Information? Ah, I guess you mean why they attacked the town, if it wasn't just for entertainment. But! I hate to be the one to remind you, but we're not exactly in the best of shape here, heh. Running after them right now is probably not the best of ideas."

Tacitus
2010-10-11, 09:25 PM
Adun

Though it is hard to tell, the hierarch nods, "I have both spells and a wand of restorative magic. One moment." The priest intones a few brief words in an ancient dialect of Celestial and healing power floods from his body to T`aella's.

Some Cure! [roll0]

He's got a Wand of Lesser Vigor on his belt as well, so Fast Healing 1 for 11 rounds depending on how much time ye want to waste letting him poke you.

Going by rounds probably 2/3 rounds after the last Hobo books it you'd get the Cure, 3rd/4th would be a Lesser Vigor if you stick around.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-11, 09:30 PM
"Thanks, now to get some answers, as you're currently indisposed, i'll get him." T'aella takes off at a dead run, trying to quickly catch the hobgoblin.

Run Action is 200ft

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 07:30 PM
You rush forward, but the hobgoblin has already disappeared into the woods during the time you were being healed. You can look for him, but it will be chance that decides whether you go in the right direction, unless one of you can find his tracks.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-14, 10:08 PM
T'aella taps into the spirit of the predators in her headband, looking to pick up the hobgoblin's scent.

If she cannot find him, she travels back to her companions. Otherwise she follows his scent.

Survival: [roll0]

Essentia
Worg Pelt 0
Hunter's Circlet 3
Totem Avatar 0
Blink Shirt 0

Soulsight 2
Cobalt Rage 0

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 10:10 PM
It's not difficult at all to pick up his stench, a faint scent reminiscent of rotten eggs seems to have hung on him; not uncommon for his race. It shouldn't be too hard to follow.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-14, 10:15 PM
T'aella follows the scent, seeking to end this quickly.

Survival [roll0]

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 10:17 PM
It's an easy enough trail to follow, but your keen nose reveals the odor of more hobgoblins, and orcs who seem to have passed through here recently both coming and going.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-14, 10:23 PM
T'aella narrows her eyes, to many, damnit.

She heads back to her companions, moving quickly. Once she arrives, she tells the others of her find, to many orcs to take down. She then helps Melik to lift Adun and helps get all three out of the forests as quickly as possible.

Tacitus
2010-10-15, 09:47 PM
Adun

While they wait, Adun prods himself and Melik with his wand and their wounds slowly begin to close. Upon T'aella's return the cleric is no doubt already standing but it'll be slow going until his strength returns.

Kantolin
2010-10-16, 12:58 AM
"Wait, I me-"

But in that much time, she was gone. Melik then jumped a bit at being jabbed with a wand before recognizing the point, and turned to Adun.

"Heh, thanks. I wasn't sure we were gonna make it out of that one! Huh - you actually don't look as good as you did from the other side of an angry orc - maybe you should jab yourself too?"

After all, he wasn't a healer. Still, he quite happily escaped with the others into the woods. "Did the woman make it out?" He asked, as they arrived. "I was a touch too busy seeing my life flash before my eyes to notice, heh."

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 09:12 AM
"I believe so, she escaped into the woods, it would be best to retrieve her before continuing."

Tacitus
2010-10-17, 02:15 AM
Adun

The hierarch slowly makes sure that all of his gear is sufficiently stowed about his body and then glances to the others, "I'm going to begin the slow trek back to town while I await the foul magics laid upon me to dissolve." With the wand still out he'll take a moment to jab T'aella with it before turning back towards the in and wobbling away.

Kantolin
2010-10-17, 09:00 PM
Melik scratched the back of his head.

"Back to that town?" He thumbed back towards the town they'd just come from. "C'mon, we tried that twice. What we need to do is find more than just three people and just a touch more planning, heh. Plus!"

He stepped backwards. "Big group like this comes outta nowhere, sets up a coordinated attack on this town. I mean, if all they're doing is attacking this town then they've kinda done their job already. But if this is preparation for something bigger, then we should probably tell someone about it, and not get chopped up by orc axes. Which reminds me, Adun, did I say thank you? Thank you." He patted the area which recently was bleeding quite profusely. "Also, thank you."

He glanced to T'aella. "Especially if they're skilled enough to catch you, blazing around like you do. Mind finding the woman, though? Panicked people go all over the place and I get lost finding the big tree in the centre of my hometown, heh."

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-17, 11:00 PM
T'aella nods and takes off to where she had left the woman, trying to pick up her scent and get to her before something else did.

Zaydos
2010-10-17, 11:08 PM
You find her soon enough hidden in the bushes. She seems very scared, as she has ever reason to be given recent events.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-17, 11:30 PM
"Come on, we're getting out of here." T'aella helps the woman up, then picks her up like before and heads back to her companions.

Kantolin
2010-10-18, 02:21 AM
Melik opened his mouth as the woman arrived, and shut it again.

Ah, right, distraught. It was especially hard for people who didn't have hearts of Garl - humans had it rough moving forward. As did probably, Melik reminded himself, most halflings.

But! They had moving to do.

"Thank you - uh, hey ma'am? Down here - name's Melik. Hiya. Uh, but listen - we really need to get to the next town over, hopefully before those guys do. Do we just find and follow a path, or what?"

Now, he wasn't sure if he'd get an answer, or bursting into tears - both were fairly reasonable answers, but hey.