PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Familiars Questions

HMS Invincible
2010-09-22, 11:27 PM
Should I replace my familiar class feature with abrupt jaunt? Source: PHB2 Wizard alternative class features.

Question 2: I've heard of someone using their familiar as a heal bot or regen bot that also casts other spells. How would I accomplish this, and is it worth it?

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-22, 11:38 PM
This should help you make up your mind. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=344.0)

Not sure if it includes the healing thing though.

Edit: In general, if you've got access to Abjuration, Conjuration, and Illusion on the same character (and you are guaranteed Conjuration if you are thinking about Abrupt Jaunt), it will depend on your level for if you need Abrupt Jaunt or not. If you are over 9th level, your Familiar will be much more powerful (especially if you listen to that handbook I just linked to). If not, ditch it and take Obtain Familiar later on.

Soranar
2010-09-23, 12:09 AM
you have 2 main options for a healbot familiar

1rst

get the exalted familiar from book of exalted deeds that can lay on hands his HP total (which happens to equal yours)

2nd

get a familiar with UMD (probably from your own skill) that's able to use a wand (wands of healing are quite cheap)

Zaydos
2010-09-23, 12:25 AM
Abrupt Jaunt is a quite good (and often banned, nerfed, or at least frowned upon) ability, although personally I prefer familiars.

A familiar healbot is usually made via UMD + wands. To get them to cast spells Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability is a Lv 6 spell that gives them limited casting.

Fizban
2010-09-23, 02:38 AM
It depends on your level. At low levels Abrupt Jaunt is better unless you really make your familliar work for it, which can be risky. At higher levels Abrupt Jaunt is still crazy, but the familiar gets better. At 7th you can cast Trollshape through the bond to make your familiar into a tank, and with the troll's regeneration it doesn't have to worry about low hit points. At 11th you can do the same with Lesser Dragonshape, which won't have regeneration but will be a Young Adult Red Dragon (look up the stats).

Most importantly however, is Imbue Familiar with spell ability, also a 6th level spell. You get a minimum of 3 (likely 4 if you have any sort of CL boost at all) spells into your familiar, who can then cast them for you. It's as good as quicken, except it's also like Contingency with sentient programing. The imbued spells are higher level than you could otherwise quicken, so if nothing else it's just straight better than quicken spell. Better than Quicken Spell.

Edit: oh, and remember how metamagic doesn't increase a spell's actual level? That means that even though you can't transfer your highest level spells, you can still transfer the highest amount of metamagic you can apply. Your familiar can launch the orb of doom, or you could quicken your imbues so you can cast while you cast while your familiar casts while your familiar casts.

panaikhan
2010-09-23, 07:41 AM
If I didn't want a familiar (too much chance of it getting eaten), what would the best thing to swap it for?

-edit- for wizard, not sorcerer or anything :)

Snake-Aes
2010-09-23, 07:58 AM
If I didn't want a familiar (too much chance of it getting eaten), what would the best thing to swap it for?

Abrupt Jaunt. Immediate action 10' teleport, usable INT per day (or was it 3+INT?) Each specialization has its own immediate action trick, they're from either the PHB2 or the complete mage.

HMS Invincible
2010-09-23, 02:53 PM
I'm only 3rd level, and I've banned evocation and illusion since I'm terrible at thinking up good illusions on the fly. How do I cast cleric spells if I'm a wizard? Am I suppose to UMD imbue spell ability?

Zaydos
2010-09-23, 03:07 PM
Healing spells you usually UMD. Depending upon your Wisdom Arcane Disciple is another option (gives you access to spells from 1 cleric domain)

Dsurion
2010-09-23, 03:33 PM
Abrupt Jaunt. Immediate action 10' teleport, usable INT per day (or was it 3+INT?) Each specialization has its own immediate action trick, they're from either the PHB2 or the complete mage.

I just happened to be glancing over my PHB II now. Abrupt Jaunt is usable a number of times per day equal to your INT bonus.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-23, 03:54 PM

Nonono, your familiar should be the thing doing the eating. Polymorph.

Trust me, with all the bonuses familiars get, the 1/2 HP is fairly negligible.