PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Sarlona - worth it?

Cicciograna
2010-09-23, 03:31 AM
I'm planning to buy this rulebook, but I was wondering if it's worth the cost, both mechanically and fluffwise. Does anybody of you have it?

Terraoblivion
2010-09-23, 04:28 AM
The fluff is good if you actually want to use Sarlona in a campaign, otherwise it is a bit pointless except for giving more detail to Kalashtar characters. As it stands it has pretty thorough and interesting writing on the continent, including two new regions that each provides something new that Riedra and Adar didn't have-

I can't comment on the mechanics though, since i didn't even care that much back when i was using 3.5, my attention has always centered around fluff. So you need to hear what someone else thinks, but if i were to try and judge it, i'd say the mechanics aren't terribly interesting.

T.G. Oskar
2010-09-23, 04:56 AM
The first thing one should be aware of when considering "should I buy Secrets of Sarlona" is the following:

Do I have a pal whom loves to play Monks? Because the arch-famous feat Tashalatora is on this book, and that alone can be the one redeeming factor about the book itself.

As for the rest...it offers a good look on what's on Sarlona aside from the Inspired and Adar. There's a lot of tie-ins of other D&D material into Eberron, mostly from books done during that moment (if it may help a bit: remember the Aventi from Stormwrack?). One chapter consists mostly of Riedra alone, with bits and pieces of other places of interest within the country.

Mechanical-wise, it is a big book for those psionics lovers (much like Magic of Eberron which offers a lot of love for psionics), exemplified mostly on Tashalatora but also on a new kind of feats (Dreamtouched), and feats tailored for Monks (it's one of the few books that shows love to monks, actually, hence the reference I made above). There is a psionic reflavoring of an old PrC, and two new PrCs. There's also a new race for those lovers of powerful build, new weapons almost specifically fluffed for monks, and new items: usually, more of the same, except it focuses on monks and psionics.

And...that's mostly it. It's a great mechanical resource for Monks and psionic characters, and it's awesome for people who wish to get into or belong to Sarlona; otherwise, it may not fly with the rest of the people.