PDA

View Full Version : fun Ooze for treasure guarding

ffone
2010-09-23, 03:40 AM
I had an idea (as DM) for a treasure room where the chests exist inside the body of one or more Ooze (or other appropriate) creatures. Ao even though the PCs could easily outrun most oozes, to get the treasure they must defeat it (or somehow fish out the chests).

What is a fun creature for this?

Among the SRD oozes, black pudding and gray ooze do not seem good because they dissolve metal.

Gelatinous Cube seems fun b/c it is transparent, cube shaped (fits nicely in a store room, where other villains throw it prisoners and other food), likes to engulf creatures, and is transparent (PCs have a chance of being tricked into thinking it's normal treasure chests.)

Ochre Jelly could also work - it only dissolves flesh. The 'split' ability could be amusing annoyance to the PCs, and conceivably be extrapolated/houseruled to have a chance of causing the treasure to be freed from between the two new halves, although the PCs might have a hard time toting it away with the ooze(s) still alive and attacking.

Cicciograna
2010-09-23, 03:45 AM
I'd pick the Cube.

Kurald Galain
2010-09-23, 04:11 AM
Wasn't there a green slime that turns everything organic also into green slimes?

Malbordeus
2010-09-23, 07:24 AM
I think an arcane ooze might work :)

alternatively you have the chest made out of stone and throw in Black puddings :D bestest ooze ever!

or put an ooze or gibbering mouther inside the chest... its ooze-like.

WinWin
2010-09-23, 07:34 AM
While not an ooze, the Mimic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mimic.htm) is an ooze-like monster that can pretend to be treasure, or even impersonate a treasure chest in order to draw adventurers near.

Doomboy911
2010-09-23, 08:54 PM
You could make it a mimic copying a treasure chest than have the gold inside.
The powerful adhesive should be a nice trick.

Lhurgyof
2010-09-23, 09:06 PM
Darkness Given Hunger? Imagine if an ooze and a demon combined... Into the strongest black pudding ever.

Kirgoth
2010-09-23, 09:14 PM
A mimic pretending to be a treasure chest inside a Gelatinous Cube; a symbiotic creature.

Primary attacks of GC - paralytic acid; and secondary of Mimic stick so cannot get out

Snake-Aes
2010-09-23, 09:32 PM
A mimic pretending to be a treasure chest inside a Gelatinous Cube; a symbiotic creature.

Primary attacks of GC - paralytic acid; and secondary of Mimic stick so cannot get out

This has merits all its own, but won't the cube digest the mimic?

Alternatively, a really, really big gelatinous cube. My group was investigating a mansion and in the middle of running away from the mutant redskinned person we stumbled upon gelatinous cube. An illusion spell later the cube was taking over the entire mansion. There isn't a colossal gelatinous cube by default as far as I know, but it's just a lump of acid paralyzing jelly. Just put it all over the place and let your players be creative! We used it to get rid of the cultists >: D

Tyndmyr
2010-09-23, 09:35 PM
Half dragon(green) template on the mimic to make it immune to acid?

Snake-Aes
2010-09-23, 09:38 PM
Half dragon(green) template on the mimic to make it immune to acid?

And now I picture a chest with wings flying near an overgrown lizard saying "MAMA!".

sure, whatever works. That also resolves the paralysis issue if the Mimic wasn't already immune.

Chambers
2010-09-23, 09:39 PM
Make a Living Spell. Technically they are Oozes (I think). :smallsmile:

Snake-Aes
2010-09-23, 09:43 PM
They are. Living Black Tentacles?
Living Rejection?
Can there be a living Defenestrating Sphere?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-23, 09:49 PM
Sure. Invisible, too.

Elfin
2010-09-23, 11:17 PM
How about a giant gelatinous cube containing a vicious pack of treasure-filled, half-black dragon mimics?

DrWeird
2010-09-23, 11:46 PM
I thought somebody already made a Hoard Ooze.

Thank you, Pathfinder. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/brreitz-s-lab/conversions-1/tome-of-horrors-iii/metallic-ooze-hoard-ooze)

Elfin
2010-09-23, 11:49 PM
I thought somebody already made a Hoard Ooze.

Thank you, Pathfinder. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/brreitz-s-lab/conversions-1/tome-of-horrors-iii/metallic-ooze-hoard-ooze)

It seems that all the good ideas are already taken...

DrWeird
2010-09-24, 12:18 AM
Oh, but there is.

There's not a single decent Bard fix, Necromancer is either garbage or requires complex feat chains and strategies to be mildly useful, and they've yet to make an ooze made of magic.

Randel
2010-09-24, 01:01 AM
What about an ooze that was frozen/petrified/crystallized and then broken into lots of little gem-like pieces? Find a big pile of crystals that look sort of like gems. But the spell is canceled soon after the adventurers find/touch it and the gems melt into one big ooze (or a bunch of tiny oozes).

Basically an ooze who's main form of attack is to put itself into stasis so that it can be revived when someone touches it. Then it attacks them. Plus, by breaking itself up into pieces then it could get scattered and each of the tiny bits could turn into oozes that can grow up into bigger oozes.

ffone
2010-09-24, 03:34 AM
You could make it a mimic copying a treasure chest than have the gold inside.
The powerful adhesive should be a nice trick.

How about a mimic inside a gelatinous cube? :smallbiggrin: And then a little critter, or perhaps a Swarm (of something that doesn't need to eat or breathe), inside the mimic-chest with the gold...

Edit: others suggested already, and I love how the half-dragon takes care of both the acid and paralysis.

I have a vague memory of treasure chests with bat-wing from somewhere...a Dragon Quest game maybe? Which would be fitting, since Dragon Quest's mascot is an ooze (the smiling hershey's kiss shaped blue Slime).

Killer Angel
2010-09-24, 03:37 AM
Among the SRD oozes, black pudding and gray ooze do not seem good because they dissolve metal.

Indeed. Put inside the ooze a non-metal magic treasure. a Blessed book, lots of potions in glass flask, etc.
So, they have to defeat the ooze, while trying to don't damage the fragile objects inside it. :smallcool:

edit: you know what? probably I'll use it myself! :smallbiggrin:

Malbordeus
2010-09-24, 04:47 AM
Shadow Jellies might also be fun. depending on your definition of fun.

animated object trap on a pool of water?
half farspawn X. any farspawns can assume an ooze form, + tentacles (watchout party magical-girls)

second - gelatinous Cuboids (dont get me started on gelatinous hexahedrons) can be advanced in HD as per the back of the monster manual. cant remember if ti was 3hd per CR+ or 4 but basicly advance till it stopps being funny. just dont apply the half fiend template (unholy word=auto tpk at those hd)