PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Dwarf Battlerager Advice

AtwasAwamps
2010-09-23, 10:52 AM
So, I’m in need of a little bit of 4e fighter advice.

I don’t have the exact file with me, but right now, I’m running Dwarven Battlerager Fighter. Currently at level 2. Basic layout of the character (stats were rolled)

Str: 18
Con: 19 (17 pre racial)
Dex: 13
Wis: 14 (12 pre racial)
Int: 9
Cha: 14

AT WILLS
Brash Strike, Crushing Surge, Pass Forward

ENCOUNTER
Hack & Hew

DAILY
Villain’s Menace

FEATS:
Dwarven Weapon Training
Harlequin Style

So here’s the deal…I’m thinking maybe I need to trade out Harlequin Style. Having that boost to my defenses to negate combat advantage from Brash Strike is great and all, but the fact is, my defenses are pretty darn low right now to start with. I’m taking huge amounts of damage and my temps are seeing me through, but I feel like both my AC and NADS are pretty much formalities at this point, as I’m wearing leather (hide? I don’t remember) to capitalize on my damage (our main defender is a very high-defense battle-mind). I’m also debating trading out Pass Forward…it’s good, but I haven’t really had the opportunity to use it effectively. I might come back to it later, but right now I’m wondering if Boundless Endurance would be a better choice for the sake of durability.

Currently, I am thinking that upon attaining level three, I will trade out Harlequin Style for Dwarf Stoneblood to really crank up my temp HP. Because our DM is lenient, I will also trade Pass Forward for something else…options being Boundless Endurance, Endure Pain, or Invigorating Presence (the Battlemind currently already has Invigorating Presence, however). Any thoughts or suggestions? The way the DM is playing, I am already taking hundreds of damage per encounter and relying on my temps to keep me standing, switching between high powered brash strikes and less high powered Crushing Surges to keep myself standing and my enemies dropping. Suggestions or advice on playing this type of character are very valued. I do intend to MC into barbarian to pick up some powerful rages (the phoenix line is highly appealing to me right now).

Thanks ahead of time!

Kurald Galain
2010-09-23, 11:04 AM
Well...

I would indeed take something other than Harlequin. Possibly a multiclass feat (yes, Barbarian is a good one).

I'm not sure what the big deal is about Pass Forward; I've had it for a few levels, never had an opportunity to use it effectively, and retrained it to some Skill Power feat. Fighter utilities tend to be lacklustre, imho. Endure Pain is good, but so is Everybody Move, and Agile Recovery.

Getting resistances from a feat or equipment may be very useful to you.

Gryffon
2010-09-23, 11:10 AM
If you're allowed to use Essentials, you'll be able to swap that +2 to Wis to a +2 to strength. Adding to your damage.

The Dwarvern battlerager in my party has been having trouble hitting, so he's getting the Axe Expertise feat from Essentials. It's a +1 to attack, but also has the benefit of allowing you to reroll the first 1 on your damage dice when using an axe.

Also, you're still able to use chainmail and receive your battlerager vigor bonuses.

Emongnome777
2010-09-23, 11:16 AM
Fighter utilities tend to be lacklustre, imho.

Agreed. I had a similar character and I ended up taking one or two Endurance skill utilities, which were pretty sweet. Can't remember the names, though.

I agree you should go dwarf stoneblood or the fighter feat that boosts your temp hit points. Not both, as they don't stack now (errata'd).

Gryffon is right that you definately need to upgrade your armor with chainmail.

Sorry not much advice, I'm at work and don't have access to my books. They don't look too kindly to me sitting around all day reading D&D books, at least I assume they don't. :smallamused:

AtwasAwamps
2010-09-23, 11:35 AM
Agreed. I had a similar character and I ended up taking one or two Endurance skill utilities, which were pretty sweet. Can't remember the names, though.

I agree you should go dwarf stoneblood or the fighter feat that boosts your temp hit points. Not both, as they don't stack now (errata'd).

Gryffon is right that you definately need to upgrade your armor with chainmail.

Sorry not much advice, I'm at work and don't have access to my books. They don't look too kindly to me sitting around all day reading D&D books, at least I assume they don't. :smallamused:

I think I already have chainmail. I have the heaviest thing you can wear while still gaining Battlerager bonuses.

We don't have any essentials stuff as of yet and if we did, I'd be the only person allowing it since I'm the most forward looking DM, so that's not really an option as yet.

As for hitting, I'm doing fairly decently since I started with a Magical Mordenkrad, so I'll probably grab expertise around level 6 or so.

Dwarf Stoneblood it is, then. Probably going to grab Boundless Endurance for the regen, though Endure Pain does look very appealing. Hrmm.