PDA

View Full Version : How to maximize a stat?

2xMachina
2010-09-23, 10:58 AM
How do you maximize a stat?

I know
+5 (1/4lvls)
+6 stat boost item
+5 tomes

That's just 34 right? Is there a way to get more?

Tyger
2010-09-23, 11:03 AM
Templates, races and, to a lesser extent, classes are frequently used for this as well.

Esser-Z
2010-09-23, 11:05 AM
If it's strength, Cancer Mage + time!

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 11:17 AM
Things like certain Paragon races, Warhulk, *shudder* Mythic Exemplar, Dragon Disciple, Animal Lord, etc, give bonuses to stats. Some are untyped, some are typed. See individiual classes for details. Some give temporary boosts to certain stats. Barbarian, Fist of the Forest, Wild Runner, Bear Warrior, Orc Paragon, Frenzied Berzerker, etc, give rage or rage-esque abilities that are available.

There are also some items and spells that give non-enhancement bonuses to stats. Valiant Fury from SpC, I know, gives a +4 MORAL bonus on Str and Con, which stacks with just about everything. There is also a Relic belt in CDivine or MIC that gives a +4 Moral bonus on Str, but you need the True Believer feat or some divine spells to sacrifice. There might be some other stuff, too.

Vemynal
2010-09-23, 01:08 PM
have a caster burn through 5 wishes for a +5 perm stat increase

Urpriest
2010-09-23, 01:11 PM
have a caster burn through 5 wishes for a +5 perm stat increase

Don't stack with tomes.

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 01:13 PM
The bonus granted by Wish is an Inherant bonus. This is the same bonus granted by the tomes. This makes sense, since Wish is the spell you use to create a tome. Inherant bonuses, being named the same, never stack.

The Rabbler
2010-09-23, 01:14 PM
also, if you want to spend the money, you can have items crafted with different bonus types; for example: a belt with a +6 enhancement bonus to str, +6 sacred bonus to str, +6 morale bonus to str, (technically) +6 dodge bonus to str etc.

but be warned: this costs a LOT more money.

Eldariel
2010-09-23, 01:26 PM
Cleric-list has an obscene number of non-enhancement bonuses to stats. E.g. Holy Transformation, Visage of the Deity, Righteous Might, etc. give you stat bonuses. Also, Awaken gives bonus to Charisma, Polymorph Any Object can gain a creature's Intelligence and any Polymorph-line spell gets you physicals from some creature. So...yeah, breaking 100 isn't really all that tricky (100 Strength is easy, for example, especially due to size bonuses).

also, if you want to spend the money, you can have items crafted with different bonus types; for example: a belt with a +6 enhancement bonus to str, +6 sacred bonus to str, +6 morale bonus to str, (technically) +6 dodge bonus to str etc.

but be warned: this costs a LOT more money.

Those would be custom items; seems kinda outside the scope of "maximizing X" since custom items can literally do anything.

Telonius
2010-09-23, 01:30 PM
Vow of Poverty gets you a +8 Enhancement bonus at level 19 (though probably negates several ways of increasing the stat otherwise).

Forged Fury
2010-09-23, 01:41 PM
Age can boost all mental stats by +3, particularly if you have something like Timeless Body that removes the negative consequences.

2010-09-23, 01:58 PM
+6 dodge bonus to str

:smallannoyed:

jiriku
2010-09-23, 04:34 PM
Physical stats seem pretty easy to optimize. How to optimize a mental stat like, say, Charisma?

Magic Myrmidon
2010-09-23, 04:42 PM
+6 dodge bonus to str

Pbbbbhahaha.

Yes.

Eldariel
2010-09-23, 05:57 PM
Physical stats seem pretty easy to optimize. How to optimize a mental stat like, say, Charisma?

Polymorph into an animal, Awaken yourself, rince and repeat.

The divine spells I mentioned work there, btw. If you are opposed to Awaken loops and PAOing into a thing without Cha and having someone PAO you further into something with tons of Cha, for whatever reason (I couldn't possibly fathom why).

In fact, Elite Optimization Challenge (http://web.archive.org/web/20080221060603/http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/index.php/t-441877.html) had some characters focusing specifically on Cha-pumping since it's so convenient. The Silly Literalist, for example. Now, that isn't as high as you can go but that was high enough to get those 100s.

ShriekingDrake
2010-09-23, 08:52 PM
It would be interesting to see how high we could get each of the six stats, without using recurring loops. As I recall, I've seen posts about bumping most of the stats, though not one for wisdom.

Siosilvar
2010-09-23, 09:37 PM
+6 dodge bonus to str

Better start upgrading your AC vs. thrown books next.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-23, 10:09 PM
Templates, races and, to a lesser extent, classes are frequently used for this as well.

barbarian rage for example

Tyndmyr
2010-09-23, 10:18 PM
+6 dodge bonus to str etc.

If a player asked me for that, I'd probably laugh hysterically for about five minutes, then ask him "how?".

Tengu_temp
2010-09-23, 10:24 PM
If a player asked me for that, I'd probably laugh hysterically for about five minutes, then ask him "how?".

He's obviously one of those characters who run away from danger so hard they crash through the walls.

Chambers
2010-09-23, 10:36 PM

Artificer, Item Alteration.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-23, 10:50 PM
He's obviously one of those characters who run away from danger so hard they crash through the walls.

You only run through walls for aid:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/Chezyhead/koolaid.jpg

Paul H
2010-09-24, 05:35 AM
Hi

Number of spells in the Spell Compendium, like the 'Bite of the...' series etc.

For Clerics, Valiant Fury , Gtr Visage of Deity, Divine Agility add:
Str +9 Dex +12 (inc +10 enh) Con +9 Int +2 Wis +4 Cha +4

My favourite is the simple Druid 9/Master Many Forms 2 casts Bite of Weretiger in Troll form for:
Str 35 Dex 18 Con 29 Nat Armour +10.

That's simple, no complex magic item combos, etc.

Warshaper 2 grants further +4 Str/Con in Wildshape, plus immunity to stunning, crits (and therefore. sneak attack).

Hope that helped
Paul H

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-09-24, 05:40 AM
Yeah, you might want to look at the description of what you can actually use certain bonus types for.

Dodge Bonus: A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.

Malbordeus
2010-09-24, 06:03 AM
really? because i thought there as a ring that gave you dodge bonuses in core.

AmberVael
2010-09-24, 07:21 AM
No, no spells or items will ever give you a dodge bonus. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm)

:smalltongue:

panaikhan
2010-09-24, 07:56 AM
Let me see... I'll have:
A Dodge bonus to my Strength
An Insight bonus to my Constitution
An Inclement bonus to my Dexterity

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-24, 08:35 AM
Let me see... I'll have:
A Dodge bonus to my Strength
An Insight bonus to my Constitution
An Inclement bonus to my Dexterity

don't forget the Banana Bonus to Intelligence :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-09-24, 09:30 AM
We Do Not Discuss Banana's On This Forum!!!!!

hamishspence
2010-09-24, 09:38 AM
Did Haste grant a dodge bonus in 3.0, or was the extra partial action enough?

If Haste didn't grant a dodge bonus- that might explain it- sometimes text in 3.5 books is reused word for word from 3.0.

Douglas
2010-09-24, 09:42 AM
As I recall, 3.0 Haste gave a +4 Haste bonus to AC. Yes, the Haste spell had its own unique bonus type.

Shenanigans
2010-09-24, 09:53 AM
He's obviously one of those characters who run away from danger so hard they crash through the walls.I played with one of those once. The kind of guy who would jump through a window to escape an encounter until the DM said he'd take a bleeding wound, at which point he stopped and opened the window, then leapt out it.

Telonius
2010-09-24, 09:54 AM
No, no spells or items will ever give you a dodge bonus. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm)

:smalltongue:

I think that falls under the "No Homers Club" clause. We're allowed to have one!