PDA

View Full Version : Color spray

Edhelras
2010-09-23, 04:40 PM
I guess a stupid question - but when you cast color spray on a 3 HD creature, it gets both stunned and blinded. Both conditions give -2 to AC and you lose your DEX bonus to AC, then each condition have some other effects.
Question: Is the -2 to AC from being stunned cumulative with the -2 to AC from being blinded?

I would kind of think so, since the reason why you're not able to defend yourself comes from different causes (not being able to act, and not being able to see the attack).

Hague
2010-09-23, 04:41 PM
If they are unnamed penalties, they stack.

Nich_Critic
2010-09-23, 04:46 PM
By RAW, I believe penalties always stack if they aren't from the same effect. That said, I can't see why someone who is blind and stunned would have any more trouble defending against an attack then someone who's just stunned. It's not like it matters if they can see the blow coming if they can't do anything to stop it.

Edhelras
2010-09-23, 04:51 PM
By RAW, I believe penalties always stack if they aren't from the same effect. That said, I can't see why someone who is blind and stunned would have any more trouble defending against an attack then someone who's just stunned. It's not like it matters if they can see the blow coming if they can't do anything to stop it.

Good point, but then, on the other hand, shouldn't blind creatures be hit automatically? They aren't. So I guess there are more factors built into both the attack roll and the AC calculation than just seeing the target and punching at it...

Starbuck_II
2010-09-23, 04:56 PM
Good point, but then, on the other hand, shouldn't blind creatures be hit automatically? They aren't. So I guess there are more factors built into both the attack roll and the AC calculation than just seeing the target and punching at it...

Blind is denied Dexterity to AC.

But AC and saves isn't just your ability to dodge actively. It is also luck/fate protecting you.

So Blinded people are easy (usually) to hit but not impossible to miss.

Esser-Z
2010-09-23, 06:59 PM
And they also can still hear!

Jack_Simth
2010-09-23, 07:15 PM
I guess a stupid question - but when you cast color spray on a 3 HD creature, it gets both stunned and blinded. Both conditions give -2 to AC and you lose your DEX bonus to AC, then each condition have some other effects.
Question: Is the -2 to AC from being stunned cumulative with the -2 to AC from being blinded?

I would kind of think so, since the reason why you're not able to defend yourself comes from different causes (not being able to act, and not being able to see the attack).Yes, they stack as listed.

Makes a bit of sense, too. Stunned is not Helpless - people who are Stunned will still try to move out of the way of knifes aimed at their throat (not a valid CdG target). They're just not as good at getting out of the way as they are with their wits about them.

Likewise, a Blind target is not Helpless - people who are Blind will still try to jerk out of the way of knives reaching their skin. They're just not as good at it, as they can't see it coming nearly as well.

So yes, they stack, and the Blind, Stunned character is much more vulnerable than they normally would be - but they're not quite Helpless.