PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of unusual type items?

randomhero00
2010-09-23, 04:41 PM
Ascetics wise I mean. For example I had a character based loosely on Gene Simmon's rock persona (KISS.) I wanted a spiked codpiece. The DM flat out said no.

Do you run into this kind of thing? What do you think about players messing with the ascetics of the game?

Magic Myrmidon
2010-09-23, 04:47 PM
Well, I have no clue how the campaign was, but maybe the DM didn't want something so goofy.

As for a a general thing, I have no real clue why a DM would be against REFLAVORING items. Like you buy a headband of INT, but just say it's a helmet. Or boots. Or whatever. If they have a problem with it actually taking a different slot, I understand that.

Oh, and if the reflavor of items doesn't fit the campaign, that's reasonable too.

That's just me, though.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-23, 05:31 PM
Generally, if I feel someone is messing with the ascetics of the campaign, I tend to think they don't really want a serious campaign. Now, I'd be fine with running a less serious campaign if I knew that was what the players were up for, but I wouldn't allow them to change the ascetics based on a whim.

However, I do tend to allow the players to help me in fleshing out the campaign world to some extent. So, if for some reason there is room for such an eccentric item, I would consider allowing it.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 06:02 PM
Ascetics wise I mean. For example I had a character based loosely on Gene Simmon's rock persona (KISS.) I wanted a spiked codpiece. The DM flat out said no.

Do you run into this kind of thing? What do you think about players messing with the ascetics of the game?

Why? I have no trouble picturing a person from the average campaign wearing a spiked codpiece, it doesn't seem too out of place to me. :smallconfused:

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 06:12 PM
Why? I have no trouble picturing a person from the average campaign wearing a spiked codpiece, it doesn't seem too out of place to me. :smallconfused:

So I went looking for a good picture just to show how ridiculous and out of place it would look...
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/kendesign/kiss8.jpg

Then after several good images I couldn't find a single one that was more than a slightly bit unusual compared to the average high level adventurer.

Starfols
2010-09-23, 06:39 PM
I believe that good storylines come from roleplaying interactions, rather than trying to get the players to conform to a predefined 'serious' look. If I want a +3 spatula of frycooking, and while doing so, I play a frycook convincingly and well, it shouldn't be verboten. As a matter of fact, my frycook could be a better narratively driven character than a traditional high fantasy character.
There are limits, but interesting concepts shouldn't be banned because they 'aren't serious enough'.

Then again, if your dm insists on not providing, there's always the craft(metalsmithing) :smallwink:

randomhero00
2010-09-23, 07:19 PM
That's actually what gave me the idea. I see Gene Simmon's in his costume and think; evil, high level bard. :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-09-23, 07:33 PM
Ascetics wise I mean.

Generally, if I feel someone is messing with the ascetics of the campaign, I tend to think they don't really want a serious campaign.You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :smallamused:

Marnath
2010-09-23, 07:34 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :smallamused:

It sounds just like the one he's shooting for though. :smallsmile:

Siosilvar
2010-09-23, 07:57 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :smallamused:

Please don't turn this into another monk thread.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 07:58 PM
Please don't turn this into another monk thread.

Actually, his point was that the word he was trying for is aesthetics, not ascetics.

randomhero00
2010-09-23, 08:08 PM
Actually, his point was that the word he was trying for is aesthetics, not ascetics.

Yeah, I didn't spell it right.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I know what both mean, I just mixed the spelling up.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:26 PM
I know what both mean, I just mixed the spelling up.

To be fair, I didn't even notice it was wrong until it was pointed out, so it must not be a big deal. We all knew what you meant. :smallsmile: