PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept

DragonsAion
2010-09-23, 04:59 PM
My duskblade has just died and I'm thinking of making a Dragonfire adept. I was wondering if anyone has played one and what there thoughts were on it and what kind if build was used.

This will be my last game played before I ship off for a one year tour in Afghanistan.

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 05:04 PM
Yes, play one! They are awesome.

Builds....

Take Entangling Exhalation (Races of the Dragon) and Ability Focus: Breath Weapon. And....thats it. Its kinda like playing a Druid, you can't really screw it up. Entangling Exhalation is your Natural Spell, and Ability Focus is just icing on the cake.

Really, beyond that, there isn't a whole lot to do. Pick a few of your favorite invocations, a couple of random breath effects (I like Weakening Breath), and go to town.

Required reading. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870954/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!?pg=18)

DragonsAion
2010-09-23, 05:09 PM
i've read some handbooks and some of them refer to a "FEAR-ME!!" build. I was thinking of play a hellbred as the race.

Keld Denar
2010-09-23, 05:56 PM
Fear me builds are just a play on optimized fear stacking. There is, IIRC, an invocation that causes fear, the breath effect that causes fear, and you can have Frightening (DotU) armor to demoralize as a move action. If you can stack fear and reduce a foe to paniced while they are hobbled by Entangling Exhalation, you can effectively "fear kite" them, to use an Everquest term. Its effective against foes it works on, but like all [Mind Affecting] effects, there are a fair number of immunities.

The best thing is, its only one of your tricks in the bag. My favorite DFA Invocation is the Chilling Fog one. Solid Fog is amazing for splitting up tough encounters. Solid Fog at will is just baller. Solid Fog with a built in damage mechanic (albeit minor, there is still no save) is icing on the cake.

Draz74
2010-09-23, 09:31 PM
Slow Breath is pretty amazing too, since even a foe who passes their save is slowed for one round. Just watch out for Undead and Constructs technically being immune. :smallfrown:

EDIT: I echo Keld's general sentiments: DFA is a great class: powerful but not too powerful; very hard to screw up completely; and much more relaxing to play (less bookkeeping) than any other Caster class except maybe Warlock.